TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 36,295
NBC Classics

New streaming service from NBC for streaming old shows. Not sure if there's an app for it yet, but it's available on the web:

http://www.nbc.com/classic-tv

__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
jlb
NCC-1701-D
 
jlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 7,507
Meh.......

I'll probably consider using the service for



but a good deal of the other stuff, like Emergency, and what not are on MeTV

__________________
1 TiVoHD with Motorola M Cable Card and a 2TB Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS Drive.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 10,258
They seem to have an odd idea of what a classic is.

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
- Assuming based on evidence is not the same as knowing.
- If you want to argue with me at least use some actual facts instead of making it up.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Meh.......

I'll probably consider using the service for


but a good deal of the other stuff, like Emergency, and what not are on MeTV
Yeah, who wants to watch something when they want when they can just wait for it to show up on tv?

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
- Assuming based on evidence is not the same as knowing.
- If you want to argue with me at least use some actual facts instead of making it up.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 18,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Yeah, who wants to watch something when they want when they can just wait for it to show up on tv?
I admit I have FAR too many choices for shows already.. and sort of "waste" my money on Amazon Prime to have _yet_ another choice.. But _IF_ those are uncut, it would be a reason..

I guess they still have commercials, since it's lumped in along with the current shows? At first I thought this might be a separate service one pays for without commercials..

(BTW, I didn't mean by the first part that I was even considering subscribing to another service, just that there is _a_ reason I could see it rather than recording reruns... uncut episodes.)

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I admit I have FAR too many choices for shows already.. and sort of "waste" my money on Amazon Prime to have _yet_ another choice.. But _IF_ those are uncut, it would be a reason..

I guess they still have commercials, since it's lumped in along with the current shows? At first I thought this might be a separate service one pays for without commercials..

(BTW, I didn't mean by the first part that I was even considering subscribing to another service, just that there is _a_ reason I could see it rather than recording reruns... uncut episodes.)
I think you missed my point entirely

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
- Assuming based on evidence is not the same as knowing.
- If you want to argue with me at least use some actual facts instead of making it up.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Alfer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 32,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
They seem to have an odd idea of what a classic is.
Seriously.

Lipstick Jungle? Life? "The Event"? that new "Knight Rider"? Average Joe?

At least 10 of these shows are FAR from "classics". Their pure crapolla filler IMO.

Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Sparty99
Registered User
 
Sparty99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ferndale, MI
Posts: 18,897
No Cosby Show? Where will I see the countless moral lessons that I learned from Bill Cosby?

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
No Cosby Show? Where will I see the countless moral lessons that I learned from Bill Cosby?
He's teaching new moral lessons these days. TMZ has regular updates

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
- Assuming based on evidence is not the same as knowing.
- If you want to argue with me at least use some actual facts instead of making it up.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 14,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Seriously.

Lipstick Jungle? Life? "The Event"? that new "Knight Rider"? Average Joe?

At least 10 of these shows are FAR from "classics". Their pure crapolla filler IMO.

Life was a great show.


(especially the scene with Sarah Shahi wearing not much more than cowboy boots and a come hither look)

__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #11
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 18,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I think you missed my point entirely
OK, I thought your point was "wait for the reruns on <some classic TV channel>".

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 36,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Life was a great show.


(especially the scene with Sarah Shahi wearing not much more than cowboy boots and a come hither look)
We need more of her on TV

__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 40,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
OK, I thought your point was "wait for the reruns on <some classic TV channel>".
That was jlb's point. Scandia's response to jlb was sarcastic.

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
DeDondeEs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 15,462
Wait, no Riptide, Misfits of Science, Amazing Stories?

I did like Airwolf though, the part of that show that always baffled me was how the helicopter crew would go from being in downtown in LA to flying Airwolf out of a butte in Monument Valley in the matter of a few minutes.

DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 40,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Wait, no Riptide, Misfits of Science, Amazing Stories? I did like Airwolf though, the part of that show that always baffled me was how the helicopter crew would go from being in downtown in LA to flying Airwolf out of a butte in Monument Valley in the matter of a few minutes.
Was it Monument Valley? I always thought it looked more like Devil's Tower in Wyoming. But that's probably because the 12 year-old me had recently seen Close Encounters so that was my only frame of reference. Looking it up online now, it does appear the lair was in Monument Valley.

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani

Last edited by DevdogAZ; 12-19-2014 at 12:17 PM.
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #16
Alfer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 32,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Life was a great show.


(especially the scene with Sarah Shahi wearing not much more than cowboy boots and a come hither look)
Don't really care if it was great to a small niche of folks (hence it got cancelled after 2 seasons), it's the fact that NBC is calling it a "classic". IMO it doesn't warrant that status at all.

Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #17
Wilhite
...no stinkin' title
 
Wilhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: <---Over there Dude
Posts: 3,413
Interesting that some of these shows are an NBC website. I know that Major Dad, Simon and Simon and Kojak were originally broadcast on CBS. How are they NBC classics now?

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wilhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 40,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhite View Post
Interesting that some of these shows are an NBC website. I know that Major Dad, Simon and Simon and Kojak were originally broadcast on CBS. How are they NBC classics now?
There are production studios that produce and own the shows and there are networks that buy the rights to air the shows. It's very common for a show to be produced and owned by one studio and then the broadcast rights are purchased by an unaffiliated network. Once the broadcast window ends, the ownership rights revert to the production studio and that studio can then sell syndication rights, streaming rights, DVD sets, etc.

The broadcast network usually has no ownership stake in the shows it airs and therefore doesn't see any residual income from syndication or DVD sales. However, if both the network and the studio are owned by the same corporate parent (i.e. NBC network and Universal Studios), then the network may make decisions that will ultimately benefit the affiliated studio.

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
Amnesia
The Question
 
Amnesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
(...) it's the fact that NBC is calling it a "classic". IMO it doesn't warrant that status at all.
They only have three categories of shows:
  • Current
  • Upcoming
  • Classic
What do you think they should call the last category if not "classic"?

Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #20
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Fofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 75,444
TC CLUB MEMBER
"Classic" meaning "old"

Seems like fine nomenclature to me. Thinking they mean "loved by all" is just stupid.

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #21
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1
 
LoadStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 32,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Don't really care if it was great to a small niche of folks (hence it got cancelled after 2 seasons), it's the fact that NBC is calling it a "classic". IMO it doesn't warrant that status at all.
We'll be sure to have NBC pass all future programming decisions by you, the arbiter of what denotes a "classic."

LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 40,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
No Cosby Show? Where will I see the countless moral lessons that I learned from Bill Cosby?
The Cosby Show was produced and owned by Carsey-Werner Productions, so NBC doesn't have the rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Wait, no Riptide, Misfits of Science, Amazing Stories?
Netflix currently owns the streaming rights for Amazing Stories. Not sure why the other two aren't available, as they were produced by Universal and they're not currently streaming anywhere.

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 10,258

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
- Assuming based on evidence is not the same as knowing.
- If you want to argue with me at least use some actual facts instead of making it up.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #24
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Fofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 75,444
TC CLUB MEMBER




Yeah, so what did you expect NBC to call this content? "Forgotten crap no one wants to revisit?"

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #25
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post




Yeah, so what did you expect NBC to call this content? "Forgotten crap no one wants to revisit?"

Duh!
NBC can call it anything it wants but that doesn't make it true.
I don't get why you seem to have a problem with consumers actually being smarter than a marketing team and not buying their deceit.

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
- Assuming based on evidence is not the same as knowing.
- If you want to argue with me at least use some actual facts instead of making it up.

Last edited by scandia101; 12-21-2014 at 04:20 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #26
Alfer
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 32,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post




Yeah, so what did you expect NBC to call this content? "Forgotten crap no one wants to revisit?"
Pretty much half of the listing are defined as just that.

Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #27
Fofer
༺♥༻
 
Fofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 75,444
TC CLUB MEMBER
You should demand a refund for all the money you paid to subscribe to this streaming service then. This is an outrage!

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #28
alpacaboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,997
I'm just content that I'm not the only one who considers "Charles in Charge" a "classic"!

__________________
J: Where do you think they are?
S: I don't know. Lot of places in the world with C4 and yogurt.
(Burn Notice)
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:44 AM   #29
cannonz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
No Cosby Show? Where will I see the countless moral lessons that I learned from Bill Cosby?
Wasn't one of the kids named Roofie.

cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #30
Vendikarr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
No Cosby Show? Where will I see the countless moral lessons that I learned from Bill Cosby?
These aren't really NBC shows. They are shows owned by NBC or Universal television. The original Battlestar aired on ABC, Incredible Hulk aired on CBS.

So you have to look at who owned The Cosby Show, not where it aired.

Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump







Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Advertisements





TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media


(C) 2015 DBNet - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.
Page generated in 0.13690591 seconds (87.71% PHP - 12.29% MySQL) with 17 queries