TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
pmyers

Anybody watching "The Profit" on CNBC?

It's like Kitchen Nightmares meets Shark Tank! He goes into a failing business, invests his own money, and then fixes it.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100788798

I just got turned on to it and watched the Key West Key Lime Pie episode and thought it was great.

pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
pmyers

Here is the guy that is "The Profit":
Marcus Lemonis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Lemonis

Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
dwatt

It plays the same as "Bar Rescue" but with less yelling. I like both.

dwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Grasshopper AZ

We love this show. Marcus is very relatable and really knows his stuff. We started watching last summer when it first came on. What I really like is that sometimes, at the end of the day, it just doesn't work and he walks away. the second season added a little more fake drama but I still like it. What I really like is that he has real expectations. This isn't about him making another million over night but about retaining and creating jobs and helping struggling business owners right the ship. He has real expectations about what he can take out of the business.

HR20-100s
HR20-100s
Grasshopper AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Since pmyers and I apparently watch the same shows, yes, I have been watching it and loving it. I do wish they did more follow up.

It's also interesting to see how many people fight him, and he walks away from. Feels a little more "real" because of that.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Jim_TV

I love this show almost as much as business investment show Shark Tank and the Canadian, UK & Irish versions called Dragon's Den. I became aware of The Profit a couple of months ago and went back to watch the first season online and the repeats of the second season still now airing. Hopefully they're coming back for a third season in the fall.

Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Since pmyers and I apparently watch the same shows, yes,...
LOL...I pretty much assumed you were watching!

I'm expecting Devdog to respond next

Old 06-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I watched it last season, but didn't catch on this season. Did this jus tstart?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
pmyers

I just watched the Eco-Me episode....that lady really did suck at sales!

I really thought he wasn't going to end up making a deal with them.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I know they play up some of the business owners, but the one where he took over the used car dealership was pretty good.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I watched it last season, but didn't catch on this season. Did this jus tstart?
No, the second season already ran a couple of months ago but they have been repeating episodes on CNBC on tv. All the episodes from both seasons are available on the CNBC web site as well. Well worth watching if you like business investment type of shows like Shark Tank.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
pmyers

I just watched the one with Planet Popcorn. Wow...that lady was something else! Possible stealing, lying, and then going behind his back to try and buy the website out from under him!

Interesting that their logo is different on the website than it was on the show. I'd love a follow up on this one!

Old 08-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I just watched the one with Planet Popcorn. Wow...that lady was something else! Possible stealing, lying, and then going behind his back to try and buy the website out from under him!

Interesting that their logo is different on the website than it was on the show. I'd love a follow up on this one!

Was this the one where they had a concession at Disney? I was thinking how could they be losing money with the amount they were raking in.

ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Was this the one where they had a concession at Disney? I was thinking how could they be losing money with the amount they were raking in.
Yes. The Disney was a money maker but all of her fair carts and other crap was losing all the money.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #15
pmyers

Wow...The last 3 episodes I've watched he hasn't gotten a deal done.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

OK, now I have to chime in. I've never watched the show, but I did see part of an episode while waiting at the bank. It definitely looked interesting. I also just read recently that the next season starts in October. I'll have to remember to set up an SP to get some of the old episodes to get ready for the new season to start.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #17
Jim_TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
OK, now I have to chime in. I've never watched the show, but I did see part of an episode while waiting at the bank. It definitely looked interesting. I also just read recently that the next season starts in October. I'll have to remember to set up an SP to get some of the old episodes to get ready for the new season to start.
They're also online if you don't want to wait.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 AM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_TV View Post
They're also online if you don't want to wait.
Thanks, but I'm not sure I care that much. For some reason, I never watch TV online. When I'm at my computer, I'm doing other stuff, and when I sit down on the couch, I watch TV. And since I don't currently have a way of watching online content on my TV (hoping to change that soon), my TV watching consists of shows that I can record and play back with my DVR.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #19
rich
Final answer?

This came up as a TiVo Suggestion (probably based on liking Shark Tank) and we have been enjoying it. Several people that he tries to help turn out to be real pieces of work.

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #20
dbranco

Thanks for the heads-up! We love both Kitchen Nightmares and Shark Tank and are definitely going to give this a try. I see that season 2 is in Comcast's OnDemand, too!

dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #21
Archangel00

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm not sure I care that much. For some reason, I never watch TV online. When I'm at my computer, I'm doing other stuff, and when I sit down on the couch, I watch TV. And since I don't currently have a way of watching online content on my TV (hoping to change that soon), my TV watching consists of shows that I can record and play back with my DVR.
They replay 2-3 episodes every week. No reason at all to worry about watching them out of order either. There is no kind of look back at previous businesses like Shark Tank does, or any kind of connection between episodes at all. At least not up to this point.

Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

Thinking about this some more, what other shows like this do I watch that made you think I would be watching this show? While I enjoy Shark Tank, I don't watch it regularly and don't usually post in the ST threads. Can't think of any other shows like this that I watch.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:56 AM   #23
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel00 View Post
They replay 2-3 episodes every week. No reason at all to worry about watching them out of order either. There is no kind of look back at previous businesses like Shark Tank does, or any kind of connection between episodes at all. At least not up to this point.
They've started. Last night we watched S2 Ep 2 ("A. Stein Meat Products) in OnDemand and at the end of the ep there was an update on "Car Cash" (presumably) from S1.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #24
pmyers

Quote:
Thinking about this some more, what other shows like this do I watch that made you think I would be watching this show? While I enjoy Shark Tank, I don't watch it regularly and don't usually post in the ST threads. Can't think of any other shows like this that I watch.
Because it seems like any show I watch/post about here, you are in the thread! LOL

Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #25
Archangel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranco View Post
They've started. Last night we watched S2 Ep 2 ("A. Stein Meat Products) in OnDemand and at the end of the ep there was an update on "Car Cash" (presumably) from S1.
That could be just a on demand bonus footage thing too. Pretty much all the episodes tout going to their website for additional footage. It's certainly not a regular thing at all in the linear broadcast. Though maybe it was in that specific case. Been a few months since I watched that episode.

Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #26
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

This looks like a good show - will have to start watching.

We watch Shark Tank with our kids and it's been kind of an Intro to Capitalism/Economics 001 (instead of 101) for them. This would be another show we could all watch and discuss.

tivoboyjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #27
dbranco

Quote:
That could be just a on demand bonus footage thing too. Pretty much all the episodes tout going to their website for additional footage. It's certainly not a regular thing at all in the linear broadcast. Though maybe it was in that specific case. Been a few months since I watched that episode.
Thanks.

I searched the CNBC "The Profit" page for the additional footage, but couldn't find anything. Do you happen to have a link to the page?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #28
pmyers

I've never seen them say "check our website for updates". I don't know if they have them.

I did see a commercial for the upcoming season which did say they were going to be doing an update episode which I think is where the scene somebody mentioned abot the car guys.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #29
Jim_TV

Quote:
That update segment was indeed in the original tv broadcast of that episode. I expect that they are going to be doing more updates and follow-up segments in future episodes of The Profit just like Shark Tank has done a lot more updates in the recent seasons with the passage of time compared to the first season.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #30
pmyers

Anybody watched the Trailerking episode? Those people were/are a mess!