TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
mr.unnatural

True Detectives on HBO Season 1 - Spoilers

Anyone seen this yet? Stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey as two detectives in Louisiana. The first episode reminded me a bit of Hannibal. It's pretty dark but is also well done, IMHO. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

We watched last night. But I was dozing off. Not because it was boring, I was pretty tired. Then again, it was pretty slow moving. Will need to rewatch.

I would liken it to Se7en then Hannibal though.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
celtic pride

I hate to say this because i was really excited about this,But my wife and i were both disapointed with this show ,no action and boring.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Watched it "almost live", we were so excited. And, we loved it. It's not an action series (at least not so far), but the acting and writing are very good. Woody is very funny in his role. And it seems that there's a lot of intriguing plot set up for the season.

It reminded me of Homicide and The Wire in its pacing and dialog, both of which we loved as well.

Looking forward to the entire season!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I liked this show a lot. It's only the first episode, but so far it has a lot of promise. I, too, was slightly sleepy from a long day so I missed a couple of minor points, and one I am still unsure about:

I didn't quite understand how they determined the name of the victim. It appeared that Cohle had the name one morning as Hart came in, but I couldn't quite follow how he figured it out.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I didn't quite understand how they determined the name of the victim. It appeared that Cohle had the name one morning as Hart came in, but I couldn't quite follow how he figured it out.
Fingerprints
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Thanks
Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
ADG
Allan

We thought it was excellent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
VegasVic
Craps Player

I guess my expectations were high so I was a bit disappointed but I'll certainly keep watching and see how it plays out.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I was bored with it, but by the end, was really enjoying it. The last couple minutes kinda rolled everything together to help me understand what the heck was going on and what the rest of the season will be about.

A coworker told me that this show will be different every season. That the two main dudes won't be back next season. The show will be about different detectives.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I was bored with it, but by the end, was really enjoying it. The last couple minutes kinda rolled everything together to help me understand what the heck was going on and what the rest of the season will be about.

A coworker told me that this show will be different every season. That the two main dudes won't be back next season. The show will be about different detectives.
Correct and a new case. I believe this season will all be about this one case. That is if the series doesn't get killed as well.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
VegasVic
Craps Player

Makes sense. I wouldn't expect those two to commit to more than one season. I'm assuming 12 episodes?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
Makes sense. I wouldn't expect those two to commit to more than one season. I'm assuming 12 episodes?
8 episodes
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Finally got a chance to watch this. Loved every minute of it. Well written, well acted with a touch of 'crazy'.

Season Pass activated.

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Also finally watched this last night. I enjoyed it.

A bit slow paced and has a low key atmosphere, somewhat like Top of the Lake, or Rectified. But after the hectic days days at work I have, I like shows like that.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMerle View Post
Finally got a chance to watch this. Loved every minute of it. Well written, well acted with a touch of 'crazy'.

Season Pass activated.
Same here. Enjoyed it start to finish. Looking forward to next week.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #17
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Not only will it be a new story with new actors a la American Horror Story, but there's no writer's room. One writer, and one director.

Forbes had a great article about it.

How HBO's True Detective Will Change The Way You Watch Television

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
markp99
TakoKichi

Caught it from my hotel this week. Liked it.

Matthew McConaughey was less objectionable for me in this role. Always been a fan of Woody Harrelson.

Will follow via bit torrent...
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Boring. I wasn't tired before I started watching but this made me drowsy. That said, the last few minutes was better and the coming attractions looked better (which is interesting because some of the reviews I read said it went off the rails after the first episode...but I put little credence in reviews..I read them to find out what the series is about). So because of the last few minutes and coming attractions, I'll stick with it at least another week.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #20
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Great article, gchance.

American Horror Story kept a core group of actors. I would argue that they kept "most" of them and mixed up who had major vs minor roles. If True Detective comes back without the two leads, that would be a big deal. And if they can keep to the one writer / one director format, an even bigger deal.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #21
cwoody222

I'm not a huge fan of either of these actors but gave this a shot and loved it. Very slow but the performances were great and I want to see where it goes over the limited run. I can devote 8 hours to this, no problem.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #22
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

the pilot was incredible, and well balanced between story and character development. i went in with low expectations (not a big fan of wh or mm), and was shocked by their perfect fit to the roles and how well it was written.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #23
hairyblue
A good Man

I watched this too and liked it. They seem to not only make the killer a big mystery but are making the detectives one too.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Anyone else have a hard time following the dialogue? It seemed they were mumbling their lines quite a bit, or maybe it was just the accent. I think I'll watch Ep2 with CC on.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
sharkster

I finally watched E01 last night. I really liked it. Some of the back and forth (time warp) was a bit strange for me to follow.

I had to use my wireless headphones to hear everything. I have hearing problems with tinnitus so, on shows with a lot of mumbling and/or background noise, the headphones really make all the difference.

As for McConaughey - Did he do this project right after some movie where he lost a ton of weight, or was this the thing he lost the weight for? Is it just me? He looked so very thin -to the point of emaciation.

I think they are good together and am looking forward to the rest of the series.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #26
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Anyone else have a hard time following the dialogue? It seemed they were mumbling their lines quite a bit, or maybe it was just the accent. I think I'll watch Ep2 with CC on.
I think Woody's accent is talking with marbles in his mouth...so, no it was not just you.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #27
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
As for McConaughey - Did he do this project right after some movie where he lost a ton of weight, or was this the thing he lost the weight for? Is it just me? He looked so very thin -to the point of emaciation.
Yes.

Quote:
Matthew McConaughey is receiving Oscar buzz for his Dallas Buyers Club, which comes out next month, though it’s possible some who see it may not even realize it’s him, as the actor lost about 50 pounds to play a Texas electrician who contracts HIV.
Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #28
BlueMerle
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Not only will it be a new story with new actors a la American Horror Story, but there's no writer's room. One writer, and one director.

Forbes had a great article about it.

How HBO's True Detective Will Change The Way You Watch Television

Greg

Really enjoyed that article, thanks.

Short-cutting by looking for hot-button org names? Ho-hum....
BlueMerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #29
pmyers

A little slow, but I'll give it another chance.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #30
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
A little slow, but I'll give it another chance.
slow is an understatement! but for some reason, i find it riveting to watch unfold, and i'm disappointed when an episode ends.

the plot development had better pay off, or i'll end up mad i wasted my time - but for now i'm hooked.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote