TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo NZ/Australia
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
dean1dj

Arrow To Do List / Upcoming Episodes / Search by title

Hi. I have had my 2 TiVos for almost 3 years and they have worked brilliantly. In February after the retune, all recording stopped and I got messages saying that program couldn't record as there was no signal or it would only partially record. This is on both Tivos and happened at the same time on the same day. On most of my channels the signal strength is betwen 80 and 98.

I watch the record light come on, I check is progress and when it finishes... nothing. I have been told that the signal strength is to strong for the tv tunes and it has wrecked them. Has anyone heard of this and can it be fixed?

If I go to "Search by title" and search Dr Phil for example, It won't show the program. If I search by channel I find an episode tomorrow so I do a season pass - all episodes first runs and repeats - until I delete. Then I hit ok. Cool I think. I go to the "To Do" list or "Season Pass Manager" and check for upcoming episodes. It says none. I go to the live tv program guide and I can see an episode each day for the next two weeks. I just don't get it. Is there a problem with the tv guide thats been downloaded and as a result its stuffing up the season passes or are the tuners wrecked and can't record anything as Tivo Australia support suggest.

Please can someone help me or do I throw them in the bin and buy a unit and 5 year subscription to IceTV.

Thanks heaps. D
dean1dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #2
petestrash

After the re-tune, have you gone through and deleted all the channels and re-scanned?

It could be that it is trying to tune to a duplicate non existant channel.
petestrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:10 AM   #3
dean1dj

Hey petestrash, Yeah when I did the complete wipe and restart, I scanned the channels and asked the old ones be deleted. Then i guess all the new ones took over. Is there anything else i should have done? I did follow the What to do section on that.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
telemark

Who said the signal was too strong? I find it suspicious idea, but if you want to follow that thread...

If you have a signal problem, you'll usually see it while watching Live TV and changing channels as well.

In general theory, a signal that's too strong gets lowered by an attenuator. The most common would be a coax splitter. The more ports on it, the larger the drop, so a 4 port is a bigger drop than a 2 port.

Another thing to check, would be to remove any amps on the premises.

There's a lot of things to try before throwing it out. So you want to try to change to as many channels by hand and note how often it doesn't tune one. And then when it's recording something, turning on the TV at that time to see if it is properly decoding that channel.

Tivo.com's trouble shooting says to watch SNR and RS Corrected and RS Uncorrected values too.

Last edited by telemark : 04-04-2014 at 01:43 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #5
dean1dj

Hi Telemark. It was Tivo Australia who told me that and said the unit is now useless. Mind you I can still watch TV fine. All the channels tune in fine as far as I can see but I will try a manual tune of all stations as you suggest. I can say that every time I see it record a show I turn to that channel and see if the station is there and it is. Anyway I will try the manual tune and get an actuator fitted and see if that makes the difference. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
petestrash

The signal issue may be a red herring.

If all else fails do a clear and delete. it will wipe your shows and all settings, resetting to just like a new TiVo.

The TiVo is just a computer really so, can get corrupted.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #7
dean1dj

hi petestrash, Yep have done that and the only feature that doesn't work is the Search by title function as there are heaps of shows missing. Also if you view a show and look at upcoming episodes it wont show any. Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
petestrash

If you have just done it, the backend processes can take a while to upload and process all the data.

I 'd force 2 calls to the mothership, then wait 48 hours to see if everything populates.

Even the guide may not be fully populated, are your recordings working now?
Old 04-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
telemark

Yeah, most experts agree the signal being too strong is a red herring, but it's easy enough to rule out if you already have the parts, so rule it out if you can.

We have about 3 symptoms bouncing around here, and knowing which ones are causing the others might give us an answer vs get us no where.

The three I had in mind, was not being reliably tune to a channel, vs not having guide data, vs being able to tune but not record a channel.

What happen when you tune to channel that normally doesn't record, and you hit the "Record" button?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
dean1dj

Hi guys, Well the TIVO seems to be working again and recording everything I have set up as a Season Pass. The guide still doesn't show more than 1 item in the list even if it is a daily program but as long as it records i don't care. If I hit the manual record button it records as well now which is great as it wasn't doing it before. I am forcing another EPG download at the moment and will give it to the end of the week to check it again. Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the great suggestions. It has really helped.
Dean