Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

Homeland "The Star" 12/15/2013 Season Three Finale

RIP Nicholas Brody
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
jehma

I can't believe they killed him, but I can't see where his character would have gone from there.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

It's time for a Homeland reboot. Next year could be interesting, many different paths they could take.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Hank
AC•FTW

Agreed. Enough with the Brody clan. Time to move on. I would like to see Saul back at the CIA or involved in the show, but it's Mandy Pantikin's habit to bail from excellent shows at this point, so if he follows the same pattern, we're stuck with Dar Adal who isn't so bad, but he's no Saul. Glad to see Quinn still in the game. I suspect he and Carrie will hook up at some point. Two Secret Agents and a Baby. Sounds like a bad sit-com.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
RIP Nicholas Brody
wow this came thru my rss feed and it showed the 'rip'. thx for the spoiler.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Fahtrim

Dont blame others for your fail in subscribing to stuff

Yeah gonna miss Damien but tough to see other resolution
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post

This is a thread for the season finale. Unfortunate the thread title doesn't say ** SPOILERS **, but that should be implied in a thread for the episode.

Is Saul a moron? He needs to stay away from that wife of his.

Very true that Patinkin usually exits TV series at this point, but they did give him an out. He'll be in New York, no longer in the CIA, with Carrie being in Istanbul.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
Hank
AC•FTW

I think an undercurrent of the first season, and to some part, the second season, was the relationship between Saul and Carrie. But that was never really explored. I'd love to see some real backstory on that in the next season as to what they really went through in the past.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

That's not how you hang a man. You're supposed to snap his neck.

I was waiting for Carrie to ring Jess Brody's doorbell and give her the baby.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end the series right there. No Saul. No Nick.
Carrie alone isn't going to cut it and they'll have to bring in a bunch of new characters, even if Quinn goes with her.
Where are they going to dig up another is he/isn't he conflict.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Seemed to accomplish the goal just fine.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
MacThor
Not Pictured

Quote:
"Here you go - another Brody daughter - this time with twice the crazy!"
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacThor View Post
Quote:
"Here you go - another Brody daughter - this time with twice the crazy!"
"She's a cute little bastard!"
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #13
zalusky

The wife and I surmise Carrie will hire Saul to be part of her team assuming he stays around. The director did say she could pick her own team and that look at the end made me wonder.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Is it just me, but did this episode almost seem like a series finale rather than a season finale?
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
squint

It does but I thought it had been renewed for season 4.

Carrie does seem strangely calm though. I thought she would be angrier.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
It does but I thought it had been renewed for season 4.
It has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Carrie does seem strangely calm though. I thought she would be angrier.
For a trained field agent, she's always sucked at concealing her emotions. Maybe during "four months later" she finally got the memo and took the refresher course.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
Shakhari

Whether this was a series finale or not, the quality of the show has deteriorated to the point where my season pass is now cancelled.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
Whether this was a series finale or not, the quality of the show has deteriorated to the point where my season pass is now cancelled.
I felt the last 3 or 4 episodes "redeemed" itself almost to S1 levels, after the crappy second season and weak first half of the third season. Enough to see what happens next. But if S4 gets crappy again, I can totally see this turning into a "Dexter" where there's one big bad guy each season with little sub plots to keep it going for an hour. That would be bad.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Quote:
I think you want to snap the neck if you want them to die quick. I think they wanted Brody to suffer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
tigercat74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Is Saul a moron? He needs to stay away from that wife of his.
Why?

I was happy to see them together. Of course, that's either Saul's send off or the setup for "look how happy he his, now we take it all away again".
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
erk48188
not hinky

station chief? really? i know it's just a tv show but come on how stupid do the writers think we are?

erk48188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
Is it just me, but did this episode almost seem like a series finale rather than a season finale?
Personally I rather would have seen the series just wrap up. They could have really closed everything up neatly with this episode. Brody is dead, Saul retired with a delayed win, and Carrie could have just retired or changed careers to focus on being a mother, or she could have been shot in Iran trying to save Brody.

When the show continues does that mean half of the cast is being let go, mainly Brody's family and friend? The only way I could see them sticking around is if Dana goes rogue and starts planning attacks or something.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I wonder if the scene with Mr & Mrs Saul at the villa was shot later? Because when they talked about Saul's victory in the rest of the episode, it seemed vague (probably just referring to getting their man in place), but in that scene it was very specifically tied to the recent deal with Iran, which had to have happened long after they wrapped for the season...and which no one really saw coming.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I felt the last 3 or 4 episodes "redeemed" itself almost to S1 levels, after the crappy second season and weak first half of the third season. Enough to see what happens next. But if S4 gets crappy again, I can totally see this turning into a "Dexter" where there's one big bad guy each season with little sub plots to keep it going for an hour. That would be bad.
I'd say the first 4 episodes sucked, but the last 8 were pretty darn good. the turn started when Saul/Carrie "outed" their plan to the audience. The finale was a bit of a letdown since there was little change that Brodie would escape Iran unharmed, and there was little use for his character for a Season 4.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #25
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I wonder if the scene with Mr & Mrs Saul at the villa was shot later? Because when they talked about Saul's victory in the rest of the episode, it seemed vague (probably just referring to getting their man in place), but in that scene it was very specifically tied to the recent deal with Iran, which had to have happened long after they wrapped for the season...and which no one really saw coming.
I didn't see it being tied with real world events. Just a moment to show that Saul's long term play strategy was successful.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Depends on whether you're trying to be merciful or not. He's dead either way, but the slow lift like they did here is a much longer more painful death as you asphyxiate while still conscious.

The Iranians probably did the slow death by hanging deliberately.
(Plus it's probably easier for the show to do safely without dummies or CGI )
Old 12-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
This is a thread for a specific episode, clearly titled in the subject line. Any post is likely to have spoilers. Heck, EVERY post is likely to have spoilers. As far as the Forum rules:

Quote:
Official Episode Threads:
When starting a discussion about a specific show episode, please put the air date and name of the program (and title if you know it) in the subject line. (ie: Lost, “Man of Science, Man of Faith,” 11/16.)

This will be the “official” thread for that week, and anything within that thread may contain spoilers for that show. It is also okay to mention a plot point from any previous episode. If you are not caught up on this show, and do not wish to read spoilers, do not open this thread.
Apology accepted.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they end the series right there. No Saul. No Nick.
Carrie alone isn't going to cut it and they'll have to bring in a bunch of new characters, even if Quinn goes with her.
Where are they going to dig up another is he/isn't he conflict.
As has been noted, Homeland has been renewed for a 4th season. I look at this as a reboot. The showrunners & writers have a chance to start with a mostly clean slate. I look forward to seeing where the next season takes us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
See my reply above. This show has been incredible at times, and frustrating at others. But it's still one of the best dramas on TV. I will, without hesitation, give it a chance next year.

I read an interview (a year or so ago) with Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa (showrunners) in which they talked about their writing process. They said they spend all their creative juices writing for the current year. They don't really worry about "next year" until next year. IOW, they don't have a seven year arc already written in their minds. They want to create the best season they can, and if they should be blessed with another year, then face it in another year.

So they have a few months to decide where they want Homeland to go.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
I didn't see it being tied with real world events. Just a moment to show that Saul's long term play strategy was successful.
But in the villa scene, they specifically mentioned the Iran nuclear deal, and tied it to Saul's actions.

The rest of the episode, I agree with you. It was just vague talk about Saul's victory. That's why I think the villa scene was added recently.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #29
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But in the villa scene, they specifically mentioned the Iran nuclear deal, and tied it to Saul's actions.

The rest of the episode, I agree with you. It was just vague talk about Saul's victory. That's why I think the villa scene was added recently.
Yes, I see what your saying, but the US/Isreali demands on Iran's nuclear program have been on the table for a while. I would think it is just coincidence.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #30
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
Yes, I see what your saying, but the US/Isreali demands on Iran's nuclear program have been on the table for a while. I would think it is just coincidence.
I don't know, there was just that one scene, which takes place (for no apparent reason) in another location, in which the deal is very specifically mentioned...and nowhere else in the episode.

I really think they did a "topical reshoot" to add the mention of the deal. Otherwise, why go to the expense and hassle of setting up another location for just one scene that does not otherwise tie into the rest of the episode?

And while there have been demands on the table, that's been the case for years, with no hint that a deal would ever happen. That's why the hawks were so outraged at the announcement...they (along with everybody else) assumed that the only reasonable options were nothing happening or military strikes.