Hello all. I have a problem and want to see if anyone has experienced this. I just switched to Cinergy Metronet, a small, fairly new cable system in Indiana. When I switched, I upgraded to full HD programming and got one of their DVRís to see how good it was before I upgraded my Series @ TiVo to Premiere. The service is great but the DVR sucks so I went ahead and ordered a TiVo Premiere. I didnít do my research until afterward when I found out that Premiere wonít work with a box, just a cablecard. I called the person at Cinergy and requested a cablecard for my new TiVo. After three days she came back to me that I am only the second person in company history to ask for a cablecard and they have none in stock. I will have to pay $100 for the card and will take six to eight weeks for it to get here. Of course I said this is unacceptable and they need to get something figured out better than that. Through educating myself on the cablecard issue and talking to her, their techs donít understand the technology and are just trying to stonewall me hoping I will go away. I told her that the FCC required they provide one and typically they are a few dollars a month. I will pay the $100 and own the card if I have to and have no subscription fees if necessary but am not waiting six to eight weeks for one. The other thing I have seen is the high failure rate of these cards and don't want to end up owning something that may not work right out of the box.
I looked at both my cable boxes and discovered that they are both cablecard operated so I asked about switching one of those to my Premiere, activating it for the TiVo or whatever has to be done to get me working and then they can replace it in their box later when they get one in. That sent them into fits and doubt they will figure it out. I also called TiVo last night to see what help they could provide. They said that the cablecard should be able to be switched from their box to mine but wonít guarantee that it will work since Cinergy has no clue what they are doing.
Does anyone here have any experience with Cinergy (or anyone else) and this type of issue? Iím waiting to hear back from them Monday to see what their solution is but am not hopeful. Why is this so hard? Because they are making it hard of course but does anyone have a suggestion or experience to help with this situation? I have read many posts about similar nightmares with other larger cable companies but it sounds like this should be a lot easier than it is and Iím getting frustrated having a brand new $300 TiVo still in the box and using this inferior DVR until this is solved. Thanks in advance for any help.