TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 AM   #1
DocNo

Arrow Tivo Roamio+Mini saved Tivo for me...

Welp, Tivo finally did it. They produced a box that is fast, responsive and a good balance of features. I was about to ditch my SD and HD, take my Premiere and whittle my channel count down to the bare minimum and see about weaning myself off Tivo and cable entirely. What a difference 48 hours makes! On a whim I decided to try a Roamio and Mini, and what can I say - this is the Tivo setup I always wished for! One box with all the tuners, easy upgrade to 3TB and an extender that doesn't feel like a second class citizen. It only took them 11 years, but finally - the Tivo I always wanted is here.

Good job, Tivo! Better late than never

PS: The netflix app is way better than the Apple TV or PS3 versions - my previous gold standards. The quality is as good if not a bit better, it's more responsive and the Tivo remote kicks the crap out of the wimpy ATV remote - especially when hopping back 15-30 seconds.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

It really is a vast improvement - isn't it?

And TiVo seems to be adding features at at relatively quick rate as well. I am very happy we decided to upgrade.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
damondlt

I can't wait to try out these tivos, Soon.
damondlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
DocNo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
It really is a vast improvement - isn't it?
Yes! Apparently TiVo not only listened to the customer surveys but also put the millions in patent settlement lawsuits to great use. I'm impressed at how integrated the Roamio basic is - the hardware design is top notch. And I'm thrilled that OTA still exists in at least one of the new offerings. Since I'm keeping my lifetime premiere, I still have six tuners - not that I will keep four busy on all but the rarest of occasions.

But the performance is what I'm most appreciative for. Finally! A TiVo where the UI and the device simply disappears and I no longer think about the device but hat it is doing for me. I'm hoping iOS 7.1 restores some snappiness back to my iPad and iPhone - if I knew the performance penalty for iOS 7 was going to be so bad and sustained without fixing for so long I wouldn't have upgraded
Old 01-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Philmatic

Yep, love the Roamio and Mini, only wish we'd get new/refreshed apps and a hardware refresh for the Mini to support true 1080p, MoCA bridging and native support for the wireless remote.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
I'm hoping iOS 7.1 restores some snappiness back to my iPad and iPhone - if I knew the performance penalty for iOS 7 was going to be so bad and sustained without fixing for so long I wouldn't have upgraded
iOS7 works fine on the iPhone 5S and iPad Air. Kind of like Roamio vs Premiere. Basically the same software but performance is night and day because of hardware limitations.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
celtic pride

Yeah but can the roamio play rhaposdy without the v301 error code,or at least play spotify with sound? personally i wish tivo would make a 6 tuner dvr without ANY APPS! like the old days .
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

You don't have to use the apps if you don't want.

I have never even launched Rhaposdy or Spotify on my Roamio. (I'm not a big music guy)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
iOS7 works fine on the iPhone 5S and iPad Air. Kind of like Roamio vs Premiere. Basically the same software but performance is night and day because of hardware limitations.
It's more than that. Mac OSX 10.9 speed up my five year old MacBook Pro - I was expecting iOS 7 to at least hold parity (they share the same core). 7.1 looks like it will fix the issues; they made lots of under the hood changes in iOS 7 and it always takes time to get them sorted. But even iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 wasn't as annoying as iOS 7 is on my 4s and iPad right now - I'm just not used to having to worry about this stuff as much with Apple as I just expect from other vendors (Tivo I'm looking at you - please don't nerf the performance of the Roamio with future updates layering on crap I will never use!)
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
Yeah but can the roamio play rhaposdy without the v301 error code,or at least play spotify with sound?
Roku. Can be had for under $50 all the time. But I find your comment strange given...

Quote:
personally i wish tivo would make a 6 tuner dvr without ANY APPS! like the old days .
As Dan points out you can just ignore them. Until the Roamio I ignored all the Tivo provided apps, but now the Netflix App on the Roamio is easily my favorite incarnation - especially given Tivo's stellar remote control which the Netflix app takes full advantage of.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
Bigg

I have an XL4, but I love the Mini's. If it weren't for them, since I live with 3 roommates now, we would have had to go to DirecTV just to get a decent whole-home DVR system.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote