TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
mcf57

Question I think its the hard drive

Several months ago, I got a used Tivo HD 652160 from a friend. I hooked it up and used it briefly. It appeared to work fine, but then I simply stored it away (since the account was basically closed and it didn't have lifetime). I was going to essentially use it for parts for another 652160 lifetime if needed.

I recently pulled it out again and booted it up. Initially, it booted up fine, but then I moved it into another room and it hung up during the reboot. I unplugged it and plugged back in. It then apparently rebooted 3 times on the 'Welcome, Powering Up' screen, but after the 3rd reboot, it did make it to the "Almost there" screen, but only briefly where it then rebooted.

Judging from what I have read here, I figured this was probably the hard drive (since it did get past the 'Welcome, powering up' screen). I therefore pulled the top off. I couldn't see any buldging caps on the power supply, but I did notice that the hard drive is some sort of WD "Green" drive so its obviously not its original hard drive.

It made me think two things are possibly going on here:

A) "intellipark" is not properly disabled on this drive and I need to run wdidle3 on it.

B) The drive is going bad.

In either case, I am gonna pull the drive and put it in a desktop where I will then run a FULL WD diagnostic to see if it returns any errors. If no errors are reported, then I am gonna try to run wdidle3 on it. If errors are reported, I have a spare 250GB drive I can use (with a WinMFS image)

Does this sound about right for how I should approach this? Or is it most likely going to be a drive problem and "intellipark" doesn't behave this way?
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

I believe the issues with intellipark were that it would eventually boot up, but would only start up with a second reboot. I would run your test and also measure the PS outputs to see if the voltages are bad. Caps often fail without venting. Unloaded voltage will not always show a failed PS either, but is a good test since you have the top off.

Since this is for parts, and you own the same model in working condition, I would drop the drive in known good box to see how it responds.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
Several months ago, I got a used Tivo HD 652160 from a friend. I hooked it up and used it briefly. It appeared to work fine, but then I simply stored it away (since the account was basically closed and it didn't have lifetime). I was going to essentially use it for parts for another 652160 lifetime if needed.

I recently pulled it out again and booted it up. Initially, it booted up fine, but then I moved it into another room and it hung up during the reboot. I unplugged it and plugged back in. It then apparently rebooted 3 times on the 'Welcome, Powering Up' screen, but after the 3rd reboot, it did make it to the "Almost there" screen, but only briefly where it then rebooted.

Judging from what I have read here, I figured this was probably the hard drive (since it did get past the 'Welcome, powering up' screen). I therefore pulled the top off. I couldn't see any buldging caps on the power supply, but I did notice that the hard drive is some sort of WD "Green" drive so its obviously not its original hard drive.

It made me think two things are possibly going on here:

A) "intellipark" is not properly disabled on this drive and I need to run wdidle3 on it.

B) The drive is going bad.

In either case, I am gonna pull the drive and put it in a desktop where I will then run a FULL WD diagnostic to see if it returns any errors. If no errors are reported, then I am gonna try to run wdidle3 on it. If errors are reported, I have a spare 250GB drive I can use (with a WinMFS image)

Does this sound about right for how I should approach this? Or is it most likely going to be a drive problem and "intellipark" doesn't behave this way?
Go ahead and run

wdidle3.exe

first, since it's quick.

And then the WD long test while you arrange to borrow a voltmeter.

Put it on DC Volts, and the lowest range that isn't lower than Zero to 15 Volts.

Then backprobe the motherboard power plug yellow, red, and orange wires (one of each, they're connected together at the power supply) and then do it again with the drive attached when it finishes the long test.

The readings should be close with or without the drive if the power supply voltage regulating circuitry is working properly, and should be within about plus or minus half a volt of +12 on the yellow, a little closer to +5 on the red, and just about at + 3.3 on the orange.

Connect meter black (negative) lead to chassis on side away from power supply.

If the drive is a 160GB it might be the original--it was by being used by TiVo in TiVos that Intellipark was discovered to cause problems when a Green was used in a TiVo with Intellipark enabled.

Your symptoms sound like Intellipark might be your problem, but they could be an indication of something else as well, and on an S2 or S3 the chances of power supply problems are so high that you really have to rule that out as the or a cause before you can interpret behavior.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
lpwcomp

The problem with intellipark was with soft boots. The drive would go idle long enough for the heads to get parked and the TiVo disk driver did not un-park them.

I had the original 160GB drive start going bad in my THD after 3 years and replaced it with a 1TB and it has been running fine for the last 2.5+ years.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The problem with intellipark was with soft boots. The drive would go idle long enough for the heads to get parked and the TiVo disk driver did not un-park them.

I had the original 160GB drive start going bad in my THD after 3 years and replaced it with a 1TB and it has been running fine for the last 2.5+ years.
At least one person around here reported fixing a hard boot problem by turning Intellipark off.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
At least one person around here reported fixing a hard boot problem by turning Intellipark off.
And numerous people who reported otherwise.

In any case, the fact that it got to the "Almost there" screen at least once also mitigates against it being an Intellipark problem.

I would also suggest checking all of the internal connections.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
And numerous people who reported otherwise.

In any case, the fact that it got to the "Almost there" screen at least once also mitigates against it being an Intellipark problem.

I would also suggest checking all of the internal connections.
Well, obviously Intellipark isn't going to be the cause of every cold boot problem ever.