Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hoarders on A&E tv

I watched an episode of "Hoarders" on A&E tv last week. I think it was on around the same time the Criminal Minds reruns are playing and that is how I stumbled on it.

All I can say is "YEECH" and I feel so much better about the mess of a house that I live in compared to the houses that they showed on this episode. I know they have to find the worst of the worst to make the point, but these were disgusting and yes, my house is cluttered, even dusty and cobwebby, but not containig rotting pumpkins in the living room or expired food in the kitchen and a hallway full of dirty clothes that are walked on instead of picked up.

I only watched one episode but it was enough for me to get the vacuum out and go thru the house.

NOT my fridge, but from the show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"

Last edited by betts4 : 09-08-2009 at 06:23 AM.
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Yeah we watched that episode...it was disgusting and sad all at the same time....these people are extremely mentally ill but nobody really can get them the help they need.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
coolpenguin

Betts- I feel the same way about my house as you do about yours. I saw this show and also a few others like it over the last year and it has really kicked my family in the pants to make a change in our house.
coolpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Yeah we watched that episode...it was disgusting and sad all at the same time....these people are extremely mentally ill but nobody really can get them the help they need.
Yes, that was one of the points that kept getting brought up with the lady that had the rotting pumpkins and the bad food. That they could clean it up and throw things away, but she would be back to the way it was in a few months unless she got help. I did applaude her son who I think called the show, his mom tried to save some stuff from the fridge in a cooler. He made her dump it all out and toss it. She kept saying 'no, it shouldn't be wasted' and it was all expired and stinky. He stood his ground and made her throw it away. I can only hope that he will visit her more often and help her work thru a behavior change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I find these shows fascinating. Not sure why... My wife and I are both neatniks.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
dthmj
Hinky

I'm watching this right now - and it's just unbelievable how these people live. And I thought I was a slob!

The first family they showed though, I think they are just making excuses for being filthy slobs.... won't sweep up the dog hair because he things it will make the dog age? Won't throw away a water bottle because that means he doesn't love his mom??? I could almost accept that if it was just his room (he lives with his parents), but it's the entire house.

- Gaming Blog

- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
TeighVaux

This is a difficult show to watch. I think most of these hoarders are just hard wired.

Like bareyb, I am a neatnik so this is very hard for me to understand. I am the opposite, I will throw away anything once I am done with it (newspapers, magazines, clothes. left overs).

It is sad when children are involved. Also I feel for the poor landlords and neighbors who are collateral damage.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

It's a difficult show for me to watch, but something that's very necessary for me. Hoarding runs in my family...my grandmother, who is still alive, has two homes that look like these or worse on the inside. And I have some serious hoarding tendencies.

So it is HARD to watch, but very helpful.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
TeighVaux

The show has helped me gain some insight into the mindset of a hoarder. As I said in the earlier post, I am the opposite of a hoarder. I own little that is not something I don't currently use. Expired food or medicine, that goes in the trash the day it expires.

What I hear from the hoarders is that the item "will be useful some day" or "worth something some day" or the item has sentimental value.

Maybe it's the Asperger's but I am very literal and don't assign sentimental value to items and tend to only see items as functional or not. If there's no current function to an item, I don't want it in my space. So whatever, receptors are turned on high in the hoarder's brain must be turned off in my brain.

A lot of the hoarders on the show don't appear to work for a living. If they do, I wonder what their work space looks like. My work space, well take a guess. In any work place, I would see people that I imagined were hoarders or packrats at home because their cubicles were just chock full of items (over a hundred photos, folders all over the floor, out of date material piled all over).
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #10
dthmj
Hinky

Interestingly after this show, I was talking to hubby. In the preview for the next episode a woman said "if I can't see it, it doesn't exist". Hubby said that rang very true to him - he felt that way. And all of a sudden things clicked. Our house has always been cluttered. Cleanish, but cluttered, but also not cluttered to the point of these people, or even Clean House (not even remotely). For example, in our living room we have a secretary. Hubby puts his wallet, keys, work ID badge, and change on it. I hate that he does this. I want him to put that stuff away - he wants it out - because if he can't see it, it doesn't exist. So that explains why all of our stuff is out - it never makes it into a cabinet, closet, drawer, etc for very long.

- Gaming Blog

- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
Tobashadow

My dad's house (parent's divorced when i was young) look's as bad if not worse then what was on that show. It was spotless till he married his current wife which has no cleaning instinct. She was raised with a maid and her ex had a maid also.

There is a narrow area to walk to the middle of the house where they live, eat and sleep in the den and a small narrow walkway to one of the bathrooms where I'm scared to sit on the throne. Most of the time you are walking on clothes and such.

They also have five dog's but i am not getting into that, you figure it out.

Me and my wife and other kids have cleaned the house front to back at least a dozen times through the years and within months it is back the way it was and she is asking for help again. When they die, i hate to say it but it would be better to just let the fire department burn it.

New and Improved! - Cancer Free since Feb 10th 2010!!! F*%K Cancer!
Tobashadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmj View Post
Interestingly after this show, I was talking to hubby. In the preview for the next episode a woman said "if I can't see it, it doesn't exist". Hubby said that rang very true to him - he felt that way. And all of a sudden things clicked. Our house has always been cluttered. Cleanish, but cluttered, but also not cluttered to the point of these people, or even Clean House (not even remotely). For example, in our living room we have a secretary. Hubby puts his wallet, keys, work ID badge, and change on it. I hate that he does this. I want him to put that stuff away - he wants it out - because if he can't see it, it doesn't exist. So that explains why all of our stuff is out - it never makes it into a cabinet, closet, drawer, etc for very long.
I can TOTALLY relate to this. If I have something that I've misplaced, I will immediately think it's gone forever. This drives my husband BATTY.

The good news for us is that I've made a lot of progress in the last year. We have a relatively clean bedroom and a mostly clutter-free living room, with a kitchen that could use an hour or two of work to look clutter-free. Therapy has really helped.

As has this show.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
I can TOTALLY relate to this. If I have something that I've misplaced, I will immediately think it's gone forever. This drives my husband BATTY.
That would drive me batty too. You literally think it's gone forever, just because you misplaced it? I can't wrap my head around that.

That reminds me of a Xmas incident with my mother, who can be quite the drama queen. We were opening gifts in the morning and by the end, each of us had a pile of opened gifts at our feet or next to our chair.

My mother had been given a pair of earrings that she really loved. While picking up her opened gifts, she couldn't find the earrings. Instead of looking though the rest of her gifts until she found the small jewelry box (like any rational person would do), she immediately announces "Someone came in and stole my earrings! Christmas is ruined!"

Yes, she was actually suggesting that a burglar (apparently with insane ninja abilities) came into the room in front of the entire family, took her earrings, and vanished with the ill-gotten booty. It makes sense once you remember how much ninjas love nice earrings. Of course, a few minutes of searching turned up the earrings and Christmas was saved.

To this day, whenever my family gets together and some little thing doesn't go as planned, one of us will yell "Christmas is ruined!" and we'll all laugh.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

These shows always make me feel better about my cluttered house. AND make me want to throw crap out. I think I need to set up a season pass so I will declutter/toss crap on a regular basis!

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
sharkster

Love the 'Christmas is ruined' story, Scooterboy! LMAO

I like this show as I have liked similar shows over the last several years, but I sure don't know why. It's tough to watch sometimes and makes me go clean something even if it isn't dirty.

The food hoarding lady - I really hope she got more help with that situation. That was truly vile.

I'm not EVEN a kid person, but that one situation where they broke up and tossed the kid's play house really made me feel bad. That poor kid was beside himself.

I'm a couple of weeks behind but have an SP so I look forward to catching up.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
retrodog
King Button Pusher

Hey. Tell these bass-turds to stay the hell outta my house!!!

Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
spikedavis

I'm watching this now and my jaw is on the floor.
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #18
jones07
eff.org warrior

I feel sorry for "most" of these people.

Nobody wants to live like that.

Mental disorders must be a awful thing. In my younger days I would yell at these kind of people to just SNAP OUT OF IT DAMINT.

But no more
Old 09-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
GDG76
Hide your kids/wife

My wife says I'm the opposite of a hoarder. I'm a "super-chucker" in that I'd rather throw everything away than store it.

This show really disturbs me. As the guy said in "I Love You, Man" - this is my nightmare. I just want to get in there and throw everything they own in the dumpster, clean the house, remodel it and slap the people into reality. However, I do realize that they're just at the other end of the spectrum as me. Sometimes I'd like to look at a photo or a kids old toy and feel something more or remember something about it, but it's just a toy or a photo and it's better to just chuck it and not have to worry about keeping it forever.

At least my deficiency makes for easier moves and lack of foreclosures
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

My sister has highly recommended Hoarders to me since our Mom and Grandma both have/had hoarding tendencies, but nowhere near what they have in the show. She and I both worry it will come home to roost with us.

Sis has been very positively affected by the show and feels it's helped her get a handle on her issues in regards to potential hoarding, on the other hand I found it so painful to watch with the piles of filth, I can't even fathom making it through an hour of the show, I'm grossed out and can't watch.

Diane
Old 09-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #21
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
The latest episode was just insane. That poor Woman. It's amazing how similar all these cases are. They seem to want to touch every single thing before it goes in the trash. Positively fascinating. They say they want to keep this stuff for the memories and yet, have you noticed that many of them don't have any pictures on the wall? Where are the pictures of people? I would think pictures would be a lot better way to store memories... These people need to buy a photo album or take up scrapbooking... Maybe it's like that one woman said, their stuff IS their "people".

I thought it was classic that the one woman's husband was forced to move his mattress downstairs and then the Hoarder proceeded to pile a bunch of her crap on TOP of it!

I have to admit I really want to see someone just go in there and just throw it all away. Why do they coddle them so much? It's not like they're killing their children or something for goodness sake. It's just a bunch of junk. Wouldn't it be better to just get it over with?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #22
spikedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
The latest episode was just insane. That poor Woman. It's amazing how similar all these cases are. They seem to want to touch every single thing before it goes in the trash. Positively fascinating. They say they want to keep this stuff for the memories and yet, have you noticed that many of them don't have any pictures on the wall? Where are the pictures of people? I would think pictures would be a lot better way to store memories... These people need to buy a photo album or take up scrapbooking... Maybe it's like that one woman said, their stuff IS their "people".

I thought it was classic that the one woman's husband was forced to move his mattress downstairs and then the Hoarder proceeded to pile a bunch of her crap on TOP of it!

I have to admit I really want to see someone just go in there and just throw it all away. Why do they coddle them so much? It's not like they're killing their children or something for goodness sake. It's just a bunch of junk. Wouldn't it be better to just get it over with?
I feel 100% the same way. What's even more amazing is that all of these people found a mate-someone willing to put up with this nonsense.

Did you see the woman last night freak out when the cleaning woman threw everything away? The woman held up an empty box of soap and said "I didn't say you could throw this away!"
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #23
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedavis View Post
I feel 100% the same way. What's even more amazing is that all of these people found a mate-someone willing to put up with this nonsense.

Did you see the woman last night freak out when the cleaning woman threw everything away? The woman held up an empty box of soap and said "I didn't say you could throw this away!"
It IS odd they manage to find people who will put up with it, I agree. Seems like a really depressing way to live...

Last edited by bareyb : 09-15-2009 at 05:50 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #24
Enrique

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Because they'll go right back to it when everyone's gone. Just like an drug addict. it doesn't help any if you go to their home and take out all the drugs, they'll just go right back to it when your gone.

They need to be weaned off it, and come to it on their own. If you force them to do what you want It'll Never Work!
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #25
GDG76
Hide your kids/wife

The one woman's "keepsakes" had all the names of her kids on them, but not once did we see the kids.

Very sad that the things are more important than the actual people.
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #26
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Quote:
It IS odd they manage to find people who will put up with it, I agree. Seems like a really depressing way to live...
Hoarding is a symptom of mental illness. The spouses that put up with it are generally enablers and co-dependents with their own issues, and get some perceived benefit from the relationship. Trying to find some sense or logic to it is destined to fail, because the behavior is irrational.

Now with improved joystick action!
World's Luckiest Guy (TM)

-- David --
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #27
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The one girl's mom came in and cleaned earlier in the year I think. She said she cleaned the house, got yelled at by her daughter and then in just a few months the house was back that way. I wish they had more than two days to do this. It seems they are just getting started and making head way and then it's over.

I am a bit of a packrat, not a hoarder and not living in filth like that. I do know a couple that have a house in as bad as shape as some of those and they don't see it. Okay, not the food thing, but the pile of boxes from cereal, speghetti and any other food box, they were saving them for recycling, but never put them out. A pile of cereal boxes 4 ft high. Last year I was helping them clean up an area of thee kitchen and Dan was picking up each item and telling me the story about it. Just like they do on the show. It was amazing and frustrating to watch him do this. I must have interrupted him every few minutes to say 'no, keep or go?'. It took forever to carve out a space for them but we did it.
I will say this, it is much easier to clean someone else's house, then it is your own.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #28
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
The one girl's mom came in and cleaned earlier in the year I think. She said she cleaned the house, got yelled at by her daughter and then in just a few months the house was back that way.
Whether it's this show or Oprah or other places where this comes up, I have often wondered how quickly the place goes back to its original state after the magic of the TV is gone. I bet the failure rate is high.

I am the neatnik. I recently switched to the online newspaper because I felt guilty about all the newspapers we went through and never used.

When we remodeled recently we went to the 4 foot wide cabinet depth frig because you can see everything and it not stacked so far back you can't even reach it like a traditional fridge. That helped a lot (not completely) with using food before it goes bad.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #29
TiVoJedi

I am a pack rat and can admit it, but am also a highly motivated 'green' person, so the last few years I have been able to shift my storing tendencies to transforming tendencies. For example I became highly interested in gardening and composting. Instead of hoarding cereal boxes, junk mail, paper bags from fast food restaurants, etc, they now are shredded in a paper shredder and tossed on the compost pile. I actually process whatever new enters the house and start thinking how it can go past its initial usefulness and the compost heap is usually it, but other times I can find alternative uses for broken items. Replaced window screens? no problem.. shade cover for lettuce for cold frame built out of the old steps from the back porch! Amazingly my wife and I are unable to fill the municipal trash can for pickup twice a week. We are lucky if there is even one 13-gallon bag of trash to set out. I feel we are paying too much for trash pickup because there isn't enough trash to usually fill a tall kitchen bag in a week. LOL It is sickening how much packaging people throw away when a small cubic yard area of compost can take care of most of it and the end result is fertile compost to use in a garden to grow your own food. Anyhow the recycle at-home mindset has helped me from saving box after box of packaging and transformed them into something I can use that doesn't make clutter. I haven't seen the show yet, but it sounds interesting and I think I can still be helped because there's not a good at-home recycling answer for everything so some clusters of clutter do still form and eventually get decimated or spread elsewhere. The whole washing clothes and putting them away is one area I need help. I do laundry, but it usually gets dumped onto the guest bedroom futon where I randomly select my clothes to wear for the day. Soiled\used clothes go in the hamper til it gets too full and necessitates a washing, but then after cleaning and joining the heap... well that's the cycle. I can't seem to get motivated to hang and fold clothes that are just going to be worn and cleaned over and over again. If someone can invent a 'hopper' that you just dump clean clothes into and magic hands inside fold the clothes and spit out piles of perfectly folded clothes, you'd have a customer for life and I might even put the clothes away properly.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #30
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJedi View Post
If someone can invent a 'hopper' that you just dump clean clothes into and magic hands inside fold the clothes and spit out piles of perfectly folded clothes, you'd have a customer for life and I might even put the clothes away properly.
+1
I would give up my DVR for something like that.

I hate folding and ironing clothes and almost never do it.

I think I saw this product on the Jetsons when I was a kid