TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #31
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Some of the best advice I ever heard was to never, ever watch a show that has anything to do with your area/s of expertise because they always get it wrong.
Sad part is, these days it would mean I couldn't watch any TV or movies since computers and related tech is everywhere!

I usually just go with and that works for about 99% of the time!
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #32
Doggie Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
My girlfriend and I had a discussion about this. I pointed out that I almost never see an actor and actress appearing in more than one series at a time. She thought she had, but couldn't recall any specific instances...

Is there something in the contracts that prevents them? or is the schedule just too demanding?

I too would prefer to see her on Once Upon a Time. It's not just the outfits. The character itself is far more interesting.
I read somewhere that Ory said she's open to reappearing on "Once Upon a Time" if she can fit it into her schedule. But I imagine it would be basically as a guest star or even cameo.

(A long time ago, Heather Locklear co-starred on "TJ Hooker" at the same time she was part of the ensemble cast of "Dynasty.")

As for Ruby/Red being more interesting than Riley Neal, well, so far at least, just about EVERY character on "Once Upon a Time" is more interesting....but then again, "Once Upon a Time" is my favorite show on air right now.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #33
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
Sad part is, these days it would mean I couldn't watch any TV or movies since computers and related tech is everywhere!

I usually just go with and that works for about 99% of the time!
I just assume TV happens in an alternate parallel universe where computers are totally different from ours. Both much better and much worse, at the same time, depending on what is needed by the plot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #34
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
My girlfriend and I had a discussion about this. I pointed out that I almost never see an actor and actress appearing in more than one series at a time. She thought she had, but couldn't recall any specific instances...
Dean Norris in Breaking Bad and Under The Dome on at the same time as well as a week or so of overlap with the Michael J Fox show for Betsy Brandt. I would think its more a scheduling thing though than a contract issue since the actors have no control over when shows air. The way they broke up the last season of Breaking Bad would have meant virtually nobody could work for a long time. Ted Danson was in like 4 shows at once I was watching 2 or 3 years ago. The guy that played Quark form DS9 also in Buffy at the same time. Alison Brie I think, kinda sorta. Maybe not. If cartoons count there are tons of crossovers as far back at least as Jim Backus did Gilligan's Island and Mr Magoo.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #35
JoBeth66
Temp

I have it on the Tivo but haven't watched it yet. From the promos, I keep getting a 'is this Chuck without the comedy?' feeling.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #36
eddyj

Chuck was fun (and funny, but I mean fun to watch). And it made me want to watch. This, not so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #37
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

The actress who plays Annie on Community is also in Mad Men, so there are actors who appear in two series, but usually they aren't the stars.

I agree with the consensus here. It was meh, and a little stupid. Right away there was dumb. The Josh Hollaway character rather than more quickly run around parked vehicles, in one instance slides through the front seat and jumps completely over another. Not that dumb can't be entertaining, so we'll see. I suspend belief with shows of this ilk quite often. I thought the dialog was a bit stilted and there seems absolutely NO chemistry between Josh and Megan.

Still, it's generally the kind of show I like, so I'll give it another couple of episodes.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #38
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Chuck was fun (and funny, but I mean fun to watch). And it made me want to watch. This, not so much.
This is not Chuck, and I don't think it ever tried to be. I think it compares more with S.H.E.I.L.D than it does Chuck.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #39
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

There is no way there is a backdoor in SHA-2. It's too well-studied. Even the flaws that the NSA exploited/exploits in the random number generation were known well before Snowden leaked them. It might be the case that there is a backdoor in some specific product or tool or virus which could nullify the encryption. In any case, the words (in the show) were uttered by someone who was probably lying anyway -- or at least had no motivation to be telling the truth. Also, it's a TV show. I have a hard time complaining about this one aspect of a show that is so far-removed from reality that my wife rolled her eyes and complained about it. This is my wife, who never cares about such things, EVER.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #40
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
This is not Chuck, and I don't think it ever tried to be. I think it compares more with S.H.E.I.L.D than it does Chuck.
I meant more the premise than the execution. He's got technology in his head that lets him do amazing stuff, and a pretty female handler to protect and watch over him
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #41
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
I meant more the premise than the execution. He's got technology in his head that lets him do amazing stuff, and a pretty female handler to protect and watch over him
Ahhhh, ok, I misunderstood. I just think this show is meant to be much more serious than Chuck, which was more of a spoof on spies and sci-fi than this.

I loved Chuck btw and was so glad that NBC stuck with it despite mostly terrible ratings.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #42
JYoung
Series 3

Exactly what is the chip's power source?

Does Sawyer also have a nuclear power pack in his head?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #43
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
At least in this show the character is actually capable of doing all of the physical things he does because of training and experience, the technology in his head just gives him intel.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #44
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
not bad enough for me to delete the sp yet, but the ending scene with the tech mole and the new implantee didn't sit right - how could they have escaped? did i miss a scene or fall asleep?
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I agree that it made no sense. The good guys completely won the battle, they were in control of that entire facility. There is no reason why they would not have secured the woman and the traitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Maybe she wa secured. Did they show where she was? Didn't they basically just show her face and eyes opening. Maybe she is in US custody. She will use her new chip to break out of wherever she is or something.

The more I think about this show, the more I think I'm not going to bother with it. This first episode was pretty bad.
Quote:
I seemed to be in some kind of grungy place, not what I would expect from a government detention, but more like a hideout. But I have deleted the episode, so I can't check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I think the writer's missed a scene, or fell asleep.

It was entertaining enough for me, and I like watching it for the eye candy. Kinda like Hawaii Five-O.

But I winced at much of the dialog.
I also thought I missed something. I even rewound and rewatched the end. Glad to see it wasn't just me.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #45
cheesesteak
Meh.

I kept wondering why the boss lady would divulge America's most secret secret to someone on a job interview. She may be Secret Service but there's no way her clearance could be high enough to learn about Gabriel during an interview. Boss Lady was also chatting about top secret stuff in front of probable low level MP guards while walking the hallways.

I'll give it a couple more episodes but I don't have high hopes for it. There was a lot of dumb in the pilot. The aforementioned turncoat techie and brain surgery girl miraculously escaping. If I'm implanting a top secret computer interface into an operative's brain, I'm damn sure going to pick an operative who follows orders.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #46
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I kept wondering why the boss lady would divulge America's most secret secret to someone on a job interview.
If she hadn't accepted the job, she would have been executed. Duh.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #47
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I kept wondering why the boss lady would divulge America's most secret secret to someone on a job interview. She may be Secret Service but there's no way her clearance could be high enough to learn about Gabriel during an interview. Boss Lady was also chatting about top secret stuff in front of probable low level MP guards while walking the hallways.

I'll give it a couple more episodes but I don't have high hopes for it. There was a lot of dumb in the pilot. The aforementioned turncoat techie and brain surgery girl miraculously escaping. If I'm implanting a top secret computer interface into an operative's brain, I'm damn sure going to pick an operative who follows orders.
They never do classified stuff correctly on TV/movies. However my experience is that Gov't employees aren't generally as careful as contractors with classified info. Also Top Secret is the highest 'level' of classified info. On top of that they compartmentalize the info with an additional codeword to restrict it further. A program like this one would definitely have its own compartment.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #48
LlamaLarry

Quote:
I just liked that the Clockwork project had a snazzy big ass sign announcing where to find the most secret and expensive project ever. Or just to sit and wait to see who comes out and nab them in the parking lot.

Last edited by LlamaLarry : 01-11-2014 at 01:54 PM.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #49
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think this will quickly degrade (if, frankly, it isn't starting there already) into some really poorly written techno-babble with no concern for consistency even episode-to-episode, or even common sense. Even Helgenberger couldn't deliver many of her lines very well -- ostensibly because they were just such stupid things to say.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #50
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
I seemed to be in some kind of grungy place, not what I would expect from a government detention, but more like a hideout.
Holy crap, are you ok? What did you do that caused you to be detained?

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #51
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Holy crap, are you ok? What did you do that caused you to be detained?
You forget where I am from?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #52
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
I read somewhere that Ory said she's open to reappearing on "Once Upon a Time" if she can fit it into her schedule. But I imagine it would be basically as a guest star or even cameo.
Except for the one episode that featured her (maybe two), hasn't she always been pretty much a cameo on that show?

Regarding her costumes on OUAT, correct me if I'm wrong, but after her feature episode, or some other episode where she "learned something about herself," didn't she become less rebellious, and hasn't worn the skimpy outfits since? I was a little disappointed in a show on which the great Jane Espenson is one of the producers, and occasional writer, had such an idiotic example of slut shaming.

Anyway, as far as Intelligence, I liked it, and so did my wife, although like everyone else I had issues with the end.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #53
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just watched it and haven't read any of the above posts.

I liked it and have SP. I hope they do some fun stuff.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #54
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I did very much enjoy watching Josh/Sawyer again. Eye candy!

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #55
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I have the pilot saved but it doesn't like like I'll get many more (why are there so many good shows on Mondays at 10pm?) so I'm not sure I'll take the time.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #56
mattack

I'll still watch at least a couple more, but I wasn't TOO entertained. I like the cast though.

Seemed like Person of Interest + any android + Unforgettable (the 'walk through the scene' part).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #57
IDSmoker

While I liked the opening episode, it's just too bad they decided to schedule this against Castle and Blacklist.

Guess I'll have to wait and hope that it makes it to reruns.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #58
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
but they said on the People's Choice Awards that it was America's favorite new show. Pretty bold statement after it aired just one show!
You mean you didn't "tune in for the premiere of the NEW HIT series!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I liked how the "doc" that invented the chip was also a brain surgeon that could do brain surgery in less than an hour.
Took the words outta my head. Also they can do brain surgery with only one other person in the OR. It doesn't work that way on "Monday Mornings."

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
It was kind of a snoozer for me. Had a hard time seeing the main actors as anyone but their former characters, especially Dr. Phlox John Billingsley. Storyline was pretty "meh". Maybe it will improve.
The biggest surprise to me was learning that "Dr. Phlox's" way of talking and mannerisms were not just the real Billingsley. He did carry on pretty much the same on his "The West Wing" bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I'll still watch at least a couple more, but I wasn't TOO entertained. I like the cast though.

Seemed like Person of Interest + any android + Unforgettable (the 'walk through the scene' part).
"My Own Worse Enemy" etc, too.

I'll predict that they can't do any better with plots and premise.

"Gabriel's" speech also grated on me.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #59
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

THis week was better IMO. Liked having the fringe alumus there. Maybe we can get Olivia and Peter in there working for the CIA.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:41 AM   #60
teknikel

I'll go watch episode 2 now.

teknikel is offline   Reply With Quote