TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Intelligence - Pilot - 1/7/14

Since nobody else has started a thread that allows spoilers yet...

meh.
It's not bad.
I'll give it a couple more episodes but don't hold a lot of hope for it.
I can imagine that the whole going rogue all the time to find the love of his life could get really old and tiresome very quickly. I don't know him, I certainly don't know her, so I don't give a rat's butt if he finds her.

Was that last scene where the Asian implantee woke up, supposed to take place before or after Gabriel's escape from the operating table?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Ereth

I had to laugh at "2040 bit, impregnable", though.

Dan Berenstein wrote a paper over a decade ago about how to break 1024-bit in real time with custom hardware. To think that 2040 would be considered impregnable by anybody who is actually dealing with high-end custom hardware is laughable. Difficult, sure. Time-consuming, probably. Impregnable, nonsense.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post

meh.
It's not bad.
I can imagine that the whole going rogue all the time to find the love of his life could get really old and tiresome very quickly. I don't know him, I certainly don't know her, so I don't give a rat's butt if he finds her.

Was that last scene where the Asian implantee woke up, supposed to take place before or after Gabriel's escape from the operating table?
Was pretty bored most of the show, going to give it one more episode (for some reason I get bored of CBS shows pretty quickly and lose interest)...
Old 01-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post

meh.
It's not bad.

We're on the same page here. Like you, I'll give it a coupla more episodes. There's this searching for theme in a few different shows right now. Boh-ring. So far, it doesn't quite work for me, but this was just the pilot and it's a bit intriguing. We'll see.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I had to laugh at "2040 bit, impregnable", though.

Dan Berenstein wrote a paper over a decade ago about how to break 1024-bit in real time with custom hardware. To think that 2040 would be considered impregnable by anybody who is actually dealing with high-end custom hardware is laughable. Difficult, sure. Time-consuming, probably. Impregnable, nonsense.
It depends on the hash function. Just specifying the number of bits is insufficient to determine the cryptographic strength.

SHA-2 (256 or 512 bits) has no known attacks that are currently practical to crack it (nor anything likely in the near future). And there is significant motivation to try to crack SHA-2, since, for example, the NSA uses SHA-2 and also Bitcoins use SHA-2 (specifically, SHA256).

The new(ish) SHA-3 uses fewer than 2040 bits and it also has no known exploits.

So it is conceivable that whatever hash that guy used is basically uncrackable, but just saying it is 2040 bits is not enough to determine how strong it is.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
moose53

Y'all did better than me. I lasted 28 minutes ... deleted the show and deleted the season pass.

It reminded me of every other government/agent/whatever show out there. And just couldn't get past the red head changing from CSI to government whatever. I don't really think she fits the part.

I did discover "Justified". Watched the first episode this afternoon. So ... I'm set for awhile.

Barb
Old 01-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
It depends on the hash function. Just specifying the number of bits is insufficient to determine the cryptographic strength.

SHA-2 (256 or 512 bits) has no known attacks that are currently practical to crack it (nor anything likely in the near future). And there is significant motivation to try to crack SHA-2, since, for example, the NSA uses SHA-2 and also Bitcoins use SHA-2 (specifically, SHA256).

The new(ish) SHA-3 uses fewer than 2040 bits and it also has no known exploits.

So it is conceivable that whatever hash that guy used is basically uncrackable, but just saying it is 2040 bits is not enough to determine how strong it is.
"No known exploits" does not mean "impregnable". Given sufficient time, every algorithm is breakable. As long as P!=NP we are dealing with time in an exceptionally long time frame, but breakthroughs can alter that.

I wouldn't trust SHA-2 very far, either, now that we know that the NSA altered the random number tables to influence how they are picked. There are an awful lot of people who think NSA may well have back-doored it. Just because you and I can't hack it doesn't mean Governments can't. Not a lot of organizations can throw a billion dollars at something. Given the secrecy of this particular project, it's silly to assume it's not going to be attacked by a Government.

I wouldn't even consider 4096 bits "impregnable". Highly difficult. I object to the word "impregnable" by a professional in this field. Not that I think it's easy, mind, you, or even has an attack vector, but professionals don't tend to use words like that.

Given Moores Law, any encryption that we can perform today will likely be breakable in real-time 50 years from now, possibly less.

I just think the wording was sloppy. "Impregnable" is nonsense. "Not breakable in less than 2 decades with current computing equipment" is an answer I would find more likely.

It's TV writing, but it's sloppy TV writing.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
john4200

Quote:
I wouldn't trust SHA-2 very far, either, now that we know that the NSA altered the random number tables to influence how they are picked. There are an awful lot of people who think NSA may well have back-doored it.
Heh, let's take the word of the crazy paranoid conspiracy theorists over common sense and understanding of basic cryptography. Back door. You're hilarious!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
smbaker

Back to the show and away from the cryptography for a moment....

This guy is connected to the Internet, right? All the time. Full access to everything. Right?

If so, how on earth did the government lose him when he was kidnapped?

I was not overly impressed with the pilot. I think they should have spent a little more time doing character development before jumping into a plot about the Chinese trying to implant a second chip. This should have been the s1 cliffhanger finale, not the pilot. It all felt a bit shallow to me.

Eta: mentally, I can't help comparing this series to "almost human" and how much better the latter is. Dorian, while an android, has information technology capabilities similar to the josh halloway character. The weird rendered virtual reality scenes of intelligence are wholly unnecessary. The concept of augmented intelligence isn't so deep that the audience needs such a bold visualization. Too much special affects and too little telling the story through plot and acting.

Last edited by smbaker : 01-08-2014 at 11:18 PM.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

not bad enough for me to delete the sp yet, but the ending scene with the tech mole and the new implantee didn't sit right - how could they have escaped? did i miss a scene or fall asleep?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 AM   #11
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
not bad enough for me to delete the sp yet, but the ending scene with the tech mole and the new implantee didn't sit right - how could they have escaped? did i miss a scene or fall asleep?
I think the writer's missed a scene, or fell asleep.

It was entertaining enough for me, and I like watching it for the eye candy. Kinda like Hawaii Five-O.

But I winced at much of the dialog.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #12
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
I agree that it made no sense. The good guys completely won the battle, they were in control of that entire facility. There is no reason why they would not have secured the woman and the traitor.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
eddyj

Especially since they were trying to get the old chip to swap in her head for the new chip, so she had to be right there too. They pulled that out of their asses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
I agree that it made no sense. The good guys completely won the battle, they were in control of that entire facility. There is no reason why they would not have secured the woman and the traitor.
Maybe she wa secured. Did they show where she was? Didn't they basically just show her face and eyes opening. Maybe she is in US custody. She will use her new chip to break out of wherever she is or something.

The more I think about this show, the more I think I'm not going to bother with it. This first episode was pretty bad.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
eddyj

I seemed to be in some kind of grungy place, not what I would expect from a government detention, but more like a hideout. But I have deleted the episode, so I can't check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #16
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
The more I think about this show, the more I think I'm not going to bother with it. This first episode was pretty bad.
but they said on the People's Choice Awards that it was America's favorite new show. Pretty bold statement after it aired just one show!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #17
Balzer

Yea.. I lasted about a half hour.. bored as well.. deleted the show and the season pass.

Roamio/Stream (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere "B" (July '12 - Oct '13)
Premiere "A" (August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #18
Vendikarr

Quote:
If he's connected to the internet, Computer dude could have just fired off an e-mail to let his people know where they were, and a team would have been there in no time.

Unless he was in an electronic footprint dead zone, in which case we should have been told.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #19
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I liked how the "doc" that invented the chip was also a brain surgeon that could do brain surgery in less than an hour.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
laria
Librocubicularist

It was kind of a snoozer for me. Had a hard time seeing the main actors as anyone but their former characters, especially Dr. Phlox John Billingsley. Storyline was pretty "meh". Maybe it will improve.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #21
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
It's TV writing, but it's sloppy TV writing.
Some of the best advice I ever heard was to never, ever watch a show that has anything to do with your area/s of expertise because they always get it wrong.

Haven't watched this ep yet- I was looking to see how good everyone thought it was.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #22
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
It was kind of a snoozer for me. Had a hard time seeing the main actors as anyone but their former characters, especially Dr. Phlox John Billingsley.
The casting choice is the key bit of information that makes the whole series make sense. They finally decided to bring back Enterprise, the chip is 22nd century technology, and yes Dr Phlox can do brain surgery in an hour with the proper tools.

Captain Archer is probably under deep cover, cosmetically altered to look like Sawyer from Lost.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #23
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
The casting choice is the key bit of information that makes the whole series make sense. They finally decided to bring back Enterprise, the chip is 22nd century technology, and yes Dr Phlox can do brain surgery in an hour with the proper tools.

Captain Archer is probably under deep cover, cosmetically altered to look like Sawyer from Lost.
Aww man I wanted to say something witty like that concerning Enterprise and this show. Dang it.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #24
MacThor
Not Pictured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Some of the best advice I ever heard was to never, ever watch a show that has anything to do with your area/s of expertise because they always get it wrong.

Haven't watched this ep yet- I was looking to see how good everyone thought it was.
Hmmm...good thing there's no demand for shows about CPAs and CFPs.
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #25
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendikarr View Post
If he's connected to the internet, Computer dude could have just fired off an e-mail to let his people know where they were, and a team would have been there in no time.
The traitor was knocked out. And the good guys had at least as good communication available to them as the traitor (they should have known where the hero was already, due to his chip, right?). And the entire agency was looking for them, so obviously they would have gotten there before anyone the traitor might have called when he woke up.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #26
LlamaLarry

I'll give it another episode, but Bravo, Things 3 and 4, and I were not impressed. My wife is hanging on for Sawyer and I just want his SS handler to start dressing better - like she does on Once Upon a Time would be good.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #27
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
My wife is hanging on for Sawyer .
This
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #28
Doggie Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
I just want his SS handler to start dressing better - like she does on Once Upon a Time would be good.
Then shouldn't you be rooting for "Intelligence" to get cancelled quickly so that Meghan Ory will go back to "Once Upon a Time"?
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #29
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
Yea.. I lasted about a half hour.. bored as well.. deleted the show and the season pass.
This exactly with me.
DeDondeEs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #30
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
Then shouldn't you be rooting for "Intelligence" to get cancelled quickly so that Meghan Ory will go back to "Once Upon a Time"?
My girlfriend and I had a discussion about this. I pointed out that I almost never see an actor and actress appearing in more than one series at a time. She thought she had, but couldn't recall any specific instances...

Is there something in the contracts that prevents them? or is the schedule just too demanding?

I too would prefer to see her on Once Upon a Time. It's not just the outfits. The character itself is far more interesting.