TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Bob Coxner

Survivorman is back

Discovery Channel, Fridays and then repeated many times.

So far this new season we've had Colorado Rockies and Sierra Nevada. You can still catch those on repeats. The new one this week is Arctic.

For casual viewers, remember this is the legit survivor show with Les Stroud, not the fake Man vs Wild with Bear Grylls.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Fake is up for debate, but this will be Les's last season. I don't remember exactly where, perhaps in Outside Magazine, that he's tired of punishing himself all the time. Something about having not eaten for 7 days on 3 or 4 separate occasions during the Suervivorman series that he's through.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
flatcurve

I love this show, and am surprised he even came back for another season. I was really into wilderness survival as a youth and I love the fact that I know most of the techniques he's doing. Bear Grylls on the other hand... that is an extremely frustrating show to watch.
flatcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
kjnorman
Enjoying being a Dad

I love Survivorman and I am glad it is back. My 5 year old daughter likes to watch with me as its one of the few "Daddy's shows" that she is willing to watch.

The other Saturday we sat to watch the Sierra Nevada episode and it started "viewer discretion advised!" Before I knew it they showed the remains to a dead dear and Les ramming his knife into the scull of the poor thing trying to get its brain out! Eeekkkk!

Took me totally my surprise and I thought my daughter would totally freak out, but she was cool with it (we've talked about nature and survival of the fittest before and how its all part of life - something ate the dear to that something could live).

Still, way intense way to start the season.

Survivorman is back! Yea!
kjnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Wilhite
...no stinkin' title

For all of you who are watching this and didn't get a recording on Friday, the guide data appears to have been wrong. The guide data that I had showed that this was a repeat from 4 years ago when it was a new show.

Fortunately, it repeats many, many times over.

Wilhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
pmyers

I just watched the episode where he has the horses. I found it funny that when he caught some fish he said something like "I could eat these raw, but I have a fire already going so why would I?". I took it as a poke at the Beyr show and found it very funny!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
sonnik
Innovations.

...and now it's done with. Forever.

I liked the monologue Les used to end the series.
sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Bulldog7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnik View Post
...and now it's done with. Forever.

I liked the monologue Les used to end the series.
Did he give a reason for ending the series? I have not heard any official or unofficial reason for this ending, other than he might be tired of 'risking' his life so often.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog7 View Post
Did he give a reason for ending the series?
No, not in the show.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
Bob Coxner

I think he basically was saying that he had done everything he wanted to do when he started the series. He had covered every dangerous environment that I can think of, so continuing would just be covering the same ground.

He does have a new book that is well reviewed:

http://www.amazon.com/Survive-Essent...0387381&sr=8-1
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

In his closing monologue he hinted that he might have other things in the works. The old "when one chapter ends another begins" vague statement.

On his website there is a FAQ section where he is asked:

Q: Do you have any other T.V. shows in the works other then Survivorman?
Les: You bet I do - keep watching!!

I am gonna miss Survivorman. It's a really great show.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
WhiskeyTango

Survivorman is back again. It premieres tonight at 8pm on Discovery and is now called Survivorman Ten Days.

From Discovery:
Quote:
Les Stroud returns to the most captivating and harsh wilderness in the world to survive with little food, no water or gear, and no safety or camera crew. But this time, it's for ten consecutive days. This series follows Les as he survives in remote locations like the wet and cold Norwegian mountains and the searing hot island of Tiburon in Mexico. He's doing all the wrong things to teach you how to get it right.

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
pmyers

Awesome. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
vertigo235

Nice, I guess Les ran out of money.

Love this show.

vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Woo hoo! Thanks for the heads up. Loved his old show, hope this one is as good.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Thanks for the heads up!

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #17
hillyard

Just wish discovery would fix their data so I can set up a season pass without filling up my box. Every time I set up a season pass on discovery It ignore the first run only and I will fill up the box. So I try with only keep 5 episodes and always end up with reruns as it will push the new episodes off
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #18
inaka

Thanks for the heads up. Love his old show.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #19
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I liked the first new episode. Classic Survivorman.

I don't know anything about Coyote's (other than the fact they are apparently ugly ), but I'd be a little concerned about them being right down the beach from me.

Looking forward to the continuation next week.

I checked out the new show 'One car too far' afterwards. Hmm. I like the idea, but I think the hosts just don't click. And as a Jeeper, it is frustrating to see two people who don't seem to know anything about Jeeps trying to use one to get out of the rainforest.

I am sticking with it to see where they go next though.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillyard View Post
Just wish discovery would fix their data so I can set up a season pass without filling up my box. Every time I set up a season pass on discovery It ignore the first run only and I will fill up the box. So I try with only keep 5 episodes and always end up with reruns as it will push the new episodes off
Make sure you grab Survivorman Ten Days and not just Survivorman.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #21
jamesl

I'm sure everyone is familiar with this

Alone in the Wilderness (1976) / (2003)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Alone in the Wilderness

Richard Louis "Dick" Proenneke (born May 4, 1916 -- April 20, 2003) was an American naturalist who lived alone in the high mountains of Alaska at a place called Twin Lakes. Living simply in a log cabin he constructed by hand, Proenneke made valuable recordings of both meteorological and natural data.

He made a film record of his solitary life, which was later recut and made into a documentary, entitled Alone in the Wilderness.
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
inaka

Anyone know if Les has some sort of emergency satellite phone as a contingency plan that they don't really talk about during the creation of the show?

After seeing his situation in Norway, it looked like he may have nearly needed to pull that emergency trigger.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Anyone know if Les has some sort of emergency satellite phone as a contingency plan that they don't really talk about during the creation of the show?

After seeing his situation in Norway, it looked like he may have nearly needed to pull that emergency trigger.
Yes he does have an emergency satellite phone, there was a behind the scenes episode in one of the earlier seasons.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post

Survivorman - S01E10 - Behind The Scenes (1/4)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
inaka

vertigo235, thanks for the info and the clip!
I'll check it out.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #26
WhiskeyTango

Anyone else catch the couple of shots Les took at Man vs. Wild? He made a comment about the wild not being against you but just 'being' or something to that effect. There was another comment about not running around jumping into holes when truly trying to survive.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
Tobashadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Anyone else catch the couple of shots Les took at Man vs. Wild? He made a comment about the wild not being against you but just 'being' or something to that effect. There was another comment about not running around jumping into holes when truly trying to survive.
He even made a comment about having to drink his pee, and paused and laughed and said yha right!

New and Improved! - Cancer Free since Feb 10th 2010!!! F*%K Cancer!
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #28
WhiskeyTango

The episode tonight is called Survivorman Top Ten and will not be picked up by the SP. Seems to be a look back at Les's most difficult challenges.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #29
sonnik
Innovations.

Having never watched Man vs. Wild - I'm wondering if Man vs. Wild is more stunt oriented?

Les seems to drive home the point that boredom, isolation, bad decisions are what really kills you. In other words, I'm led to believe that Les is more of an expert on the "science" of survival.

The impressions I get from what I'm aware of in Man vs. Wild - it's more outrageous and stunt oriented. Am I right?
sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
inaka

I view it more like a chef and his love for cooking and food, showing subtle distain for a show like Man vs. Food where that guy just tries to eat a bunch of crap before he pukes.

A show like Survivorman really tries to view nature and survival from a solitary perspective, bringing out facts and tips that could not only save your life but make you appreciate nature even more in the process. A show like Man vs. Wild is more in-your-face entertainment masquerading as a survival show.