TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Question Will "Duck Dynasty" survive this mess Phil created?

So A&E isn't happy with the family patriarch Phil for his comments in GQ magazine recently. He's been put on "hiatus" from being on the show.

So will DD survive this flap and keep on keeping on or do you think this well be similar to the Paula Dean mess, meaning they lose their show and sponsors etc?

They are a juggernaut right now for A&E/Wal-Mart etc. So I'm thinking they will make it through this PR mess but of course the hater spotlight will be on the whole family for some time to come I'm sure.

Full story:
Quote:
Is this man simply expressing his beliefs or spewing bigotry?

Either way, Phil Robertson, the patriarch in A&E's "Duck Dynasty," won't be duck calling on air anytime soon. The network suspended him after he made controversial remarks about gays in a magazine interview.

In the January issue of GQ, Robertson says homosexuality is a sin and puts it in the same category as bestiality and promiscuity.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/19/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old 12-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

This thread isn't going to last long...

The man has the right to be a bigot. A&E has the right to protect their image.

(And his comments about blacks were just as bad if not worse!)

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Homosexuality probably is a sin in the bible. I'm not exactly up on my bible scripture. I bet this guy Phil performs 100 other sins every day. So nice of him to choose which sins are the really bad sins.

I've never seen the show and it sounds like I'm not missing much.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have barely an idea of who Phil is or what he said (I have seen DD but was not all that interested).

That said, he does have a right to his thoughts, but also yes, I am glad A&E did what they did. I think the whole show should be shut down though, not just keeping him off of it. I mean the duck people have a quadzillion dollars anyway so what does it matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
but of course the hater spotlight will be on the whole family for some time to come I'm sure.
Uh, I think there are more reasons to have issues with what the guy said than just "being a hater".
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Eitel

Never seen the show, so I could care less what happens to it. (Not a fan of reality tv).

But pretty much what Clutch said. He has the right to be a jerk, and A&E has the right to drop him for being one.

Eitel is my hero ! - angbear1985
Eitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
DeDondeEs

I bet sales of the Duck Dynasty Chia-Heads will plummet as a result. Can we please have more shows about engineers, doctors, and scientists. Instead of this prevalent trash that glorifies being an ignorant redneck? The bible also has some language about gluttony in there as well.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
flyers088
tcf junior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post

Not sure what anyone was expecting him to say differently when asked the question? If you read his books or watched the show I don't know how you would be shocked by his views. Agree or not he has the right to them and in the end A&E is really the only one's hurting themselves by ruining the cash cow that is Duck Dynasty. I wish the family would breach their contract (I know they won't because A&E would sue and win) and stop doing the show in support of Phil. They have enough money that this could all go away and they would be fine.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers088 View Post
Not sure what anyone was expecting him to say differently when asked the question? If you read his books or watched the show I don't know how you would be shocked by his views. Agree or not he has the right to them and in the end A&E is really the only one's hurting themselves by ruining the cash cow that is Duck Dynasty. I wish the family would breach their contract (I know they won't because A&E would sue and win) and stop doing the show in support of Phil. They have enough money that this could all go away and they would be fine.
This. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone familiar with Phil or the show.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitel View Post
Never seen the show, so I could care less what happens to it. (Not a fan of reality tv).

But pretty much what Clutch said. He has the right to be a jerk, and A&E has the right to drop him for being one.
How much less could you care?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
doom1701
I blue myself!

This morning I figured "Eh". I do agree that Phil (who is actually a very intelligent, well read man, as is just about everyone on the show--they pull off the "redneck" act very well) has the right to believe whatever he wants, and A&E has the right to do with the show whatever they want.

This morning I figured "eh" because I thought:
1. Nobody is surprised by Phil stating this. He is a very devout Christian.
2. Nobody is surprised by A&E pulling him from the show
3. Nobody is going to boycott Duck Dynasty because of this, because the bulk of the people really into that show know Phil's beliefs, and most probably share those beleifs.
4. A&E isn't going to hurt, because it's not like their other programming pulls in the same kinds of people as DD.

It's #4 where I was wrong--I didn't realize that A&E had apparently become the "Redneck Reality Channel".
Old 12-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I bet sales of the Duck Dynasty Chia-Heads will plummet as a result. Can we please have more shows about engineers, doctors, and scientists. Instead of this prevalent trash that glorifies being an ignorant redneck? The bible also has some language about gluttony in there as well.
They are rich ignorant rednecks. I think the point of the show is they are a successful, non-dysfunctional family, in spite of (or because of, not sure) being rednecks.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

This doesn't really surprise me at all, other then maybe the A&E reaction was a little more then I expected. I have a friend who is involved with a ministry that has worked with some of the Robertson's. I don't know if Phil was one of them, I know he works with Willie. But it was very obvious to me that faith is a big part of that family, and that they were going to leverage their fame in order to share their faith with others.

Honestly, I think that Phil tolerates the show, interviews and the attention, Willie and the others are more enthusiastic about promoting and marketing. So I think he will be gone for a while, then eventually come back with a much smaller role.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Robertson caused controversy with his comments, in which he grouped gays with "drunks" and "terrorists," and said that they won't "inherit the kingdom of God."

Asked what he considered sinful, Robertson told the magazine, "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there -- bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."
I get why his comments are offensive, but he didn't say them on the show. He said them in an interview where he is specifically asked about his views. Should he have lied? Or not answered?

And who is surprised that a redneck from the South thinks being gay is a sin?
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

What about this gem from the article?

Quote:
In addition to his comments about homosexuality, Robertson also spoke about race and growing up in Louisiana before the civil rights era.

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once," he told GQ. "Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!

"Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues," GQ quoted Robertson as saying.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
dthmj
Hinky

From reading the article - http://www.gq.com/entertainment/tele...?currentPage=1 - it doesn't appear he was asked "Do you think homosexuality is a sin?" - It looks more like he took the opportunity to say whatever he wanted.

Quote:
Out here in these woods, without any cameras around, Phil is free to say what he wants. Maybe a little too free. He’s got lots of thoughts on modern immorality, and there’s no stopping them from rushing out. Like this one:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical."
I'm not a Duck Dynasty fan. I watched it a few times, but then learned most of the stuff is fake. For the Robertsons, the show is just a vehicle to spread the word.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmj View Post
From reading the article - http://www.gq.com/entertainment/tele...?currentPage=1 - it doesn't appear he was asked "Do you think homosexuality is a sin?" - It looks more like he took the opportunity to say whatever he wanted.

I'm not a Duck Dynasty fan. I watched it a few times, but then learned most of the stuff is fake. For the Robertsons, the show is just a vehicle to spread the word.
Most of the stuff is fake on ALL those 'reality' shows. I learned this when a friend of mine was chosen to be on one of the shows where they come to your house and look at your collectibles. She was told to 'go along with' what the host said and then when he offered her a price for the item she was supposed to not give in right away but go back and forth on the price and then concede. Not 100% script, but enough of one to make me not want to watch them anymore.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
flyers088
tcf junior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
I get why his comments are offensive, but he didn't say them on the show. He said them in an interview where he is specifically asked about his views. Should he have lied? Or not answered?

And who is surprised that a redneck from the South thinks being gay is a sin?
In the world we live in now he should have just not answered. Having an opinion can only get you in trouble in this society unless the vocal minority agrees with your opinion.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
zuko3984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
He should have either not done the interview or set up guidelines before the interview on what topics are off limits. Lots of celebrities set up off limit topics before interviews. People trying to sell things should usually avoid controversial topics. He has hurt the Duck Dynasty brand. How bad he hurt it remains to be seen but he has hurt it. Why would anyone want to damage something that has made them lots of money.

zuko3984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Most of the stuff is fake on ALL those 'reality' shows. I learned this when a friend of mine was chosen to be on one of the shows where they come to your house and look at your collectibles. She was told to 'go along with' what the host said and then when he offered her a price for the item she was supposed to not give in right away but go back and forth on the price and then concede. Not 100% script, but enough of one to make me not want to watch them anymore.
I was really into the first 2 seasons of Survivor and Big Brother. I just got sick of it because reality TV was anything but reality and I didn't enjoy watching a fake reality show.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
dthmj
Hinky

You can't not answer a question that wasn't asked. As I linked above - it appears he gave all of his opinions unsolicited. He wasn't asked what his views were - he just opened his mouth and started talking.

After he mentioned sin, it was only then that the reporter asked who he thought were sinners.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
Old 12-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post

About as simple as it gets. And I agree.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #23
dthmj
Hinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
But she actually had collectibles to start with.

One episode of Duck Dynasty was about how they bought a winery. They did not such thing - it was all made up.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
zuko3984

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers088 View Post
In the world we live in now he should have just not answered. Having an opinion can only get you in trouble in this society unless the vocal minority agrees with your opinion.
You can have an opinion, but when you are trying to sell something, if it's a tv personality trying to get people to watch the show or a movie star trying to get people to see the new movie they are in or a restaurant chain trying to get people to eat at the restaurant it's not a good idea to get involved in a controversial topic.

zuko3984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Time media critic James Poniewozik has a good column on this today.

Quote:
There were enough of all kinds of fans — family viewers and comedy fans and fans of the culture — to make the show a massive cable hit. As long as the subtext was subtext. But with Phil doing an interview in a national magazine, talking gay people, anuses, damnation — oh, and how the Japanese fought us in WWII because they didn’t have Jesus?

That presents a problem. Now, you’ve got an issue with those of us who maybe just want to watch a family comedy about people outside a major city, but please without supporting somebody thumping gay people with their Bible. Or a problem with people with gay friends, or family, or, you know, actual gay A&E viewers.

And, once you take any kind of action on that, you’ve got the opposite problem — with deeply religious viewers who like the Robertsons for their faith. They’re going to see it as you punishing him for saying out loud what he believes, and maybe for what they themselves believe, and what they believe is the word of God. You’re punishing him, in their eyes, for being one of them.

As text rather than subtext, the stuff Phil thinks and says creates an irreconcilable problem. Which is why A&E is maybe trying to solve that problem by putting Phil on a “hiatus” from filming, because what exactly does that mean and how does it work? Is A&E going to put out a season of Duck Dynasty in which we just kind of forget that one of the family members exists? Or is this a “hiatus” that blows over once everyone forgets about this, Phil puts out some kind of crafted statement, and allows for the shooting of a full normal Duck Dynasty season? You know, like the exact same thing we would get if A&E didn’t do anything at all?

cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #26
doom1701
I blue myself!

I thougth Phil was planning to take a hiatus from the show anyway? I was told that he didn't really like it, as it cut into his ability to keep to himself and hunt.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

On the Fox pregame show a month or 2 ago they had Terry Bradshaw talking with Phil about their college football experiences. Phil seemed really uncomfortable, and I wasn't sure if he just disliked Terry or hated being interviewed. I think it was the later. IMO, Phil would be very happy to be on hiatus indefinitely.

I also find it interesting that no one is denying that he made those comments, or they were taken out of context or something. The way the article was written, it wasn't like a transcript, so you didn't really know what question was asked, what preceeded the question etc. If he wanted to contest the article, I think he probably could have, but at this point no one has. I think Phil's attitude is that this is who he is, take it or leave it, and his life will be more enjoyable if all this attention ends and he can just hunt, go to church, and spend time with his family.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #28
flyers088
tcf junior member

Not sure how they are really going to deal with Phil being on "hiatus" (fired) since the season that starts in January was shot well before this happened. I am sure they could go back and re-edit each episode to get rid of his image to not hurt someones eyes who might be offended by seeing him on screen but that will surely lead to some disjointed episodes. And I am not sure how keen the Robertson clan will be doing any re-shoots at the moment? If I were them I tell A&E to figure it out on their own.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #29
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1701 View Post
I thougth Phil was planning to take a hiatus from the show anyway? I was told that he didn't really like it, as it cut into his ability to keep to himself and hunt.
That is correct. Phil has a right to say what he wants. He would never harm anyone who does not believe in his views and those who don't believe in his views should not feel it's their right to harm him.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #30
Ment

Miss Kay will cook some squirrel and dumplings and it will blow over in a couple weeks.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote