Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #31
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
I was convinced with all that talking about his daughter that Dave was destined to buy it.

We never saw how Sammy had his downfall. The last we saw him he was landing in a bizjet and having his goons wipe out his subversive guy. How does he go to hiding on top of a wrecked Detroit tenement?
I too thought he was destined to buy it. I was half convinved he was going to get shot to death in his last scene with Raylan in the SUV. I didn't realize Michael Rapaport was going to be a regular at that point.

Sammy was destined to fail. He was weak, unintelligent, incompetent, and clearly a bit nutty. We didn't really have to see it. The only reason he got to power is because Raylan outplayed Nicky Augustine. Sammy was doomed no matter what.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #32
cheesesteak
Meh.

Paxton was an idiot. I'd have commenced to whuppin' on him too and I'm not half the psychopath Boyd is.

I kept waiting for the Marshall that Raylon was paired with to get shot or something. It seemed like something bad was bound to happen when he kept talking about how proud he was of his kids.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #33
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I was sad to see Max Perlich's character buy it so fast. I've always liked that guy since I first saw him on Homicide:Life on the Street
Old 01-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #34
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Yes, he was bumped to a regular this season right? I loved with Sasso referred to him as eyebrows and he actually looked offended. He and Boyd are going to struggle if they are partners. They both want to be top dog.
Yep, Jere Burns is a full castmember now. Your comment about them being partners brings up something that puzzled me about this episode. I haven't gone back and re-watched last season's final episode to see, but I thought that Boyd now worked for Duffy. Yet Duffy was the subservient one for almost the entirety of the episode (for example, with Boyd basically telling him they were going to Detroit).

Speaking of Detroit, the Sammy and Picker relationship puzzled me, too. Sammy has always been portrayed as a bit of a buffoon, of course, but he is top dog. And Picker willingly went along with Sammy's order to ice Mike O'Malley at the end of last season. (During which scene, Sammy basically seemed in comfortable with being in the top spot.) Yet in this episode, Picker was ordering Sammy around like a kid, with neither of them acting like Sammy was actually the boss. (And this doesn't even consider the Picker double-cross, which hardly seemed necessary given how weak Sammy apparently is.) The way those two characters were acting threw me off so much that I was having trouble following the scene.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #35
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
The double cross was to save his own life, not because he need to off Sammy to take over or something.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #36
Ravensfan

Do you think Alicia Witt's tramp stamp was real?!? I think they showed it briefly to convey that she was probably not a real lawyer.
Ravensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #37
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensfan View Post
Do you think Alicia Witt's tramp stamp was real?!? I think they showed it briefly to convey that she was probably not a real lawyer.
She said she was a paralegal.

Those tramp girls in the pool had tramp stamps, too.

How about Dewey, "GET A BUCKET!!!" I gotta believe he improved that.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #38
Ravensfan

Did she say that in the diner when she introduced herself to Raylon? I thought she told her brother that afterward... My bad.
Ravensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #39
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensfan View Post
Did she say that in the diner when she introduced herself to Raylon? I thought she told her brother that afterward... My bad.
She did say it to her brother, yes. The point of the tattoo, I think, was to reinforce that even though she is trying to break away from typical Crowe life, she can't escape where she came from in the end. That's one of Justified's main themes.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #40
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Yep, Jere Burns is a full castmember now. Your comment about them being partners brings up something that puzzled me about this episode. I haven't gone back and re-watched last season's final episode to see, but I thought that Boyd now worked for Duffy. Yet Duffy was the subservient one for almost the entirety of the episode (for example, with Boyd basically telling him they were going to Detroit).

Speaking of Detroit, the Sammy and Picker relationship puzzled me, too. Sammy has always been portrayed as a bit of a buffoon, of course, but he is top dog. And Picker willingly went along with Sammy's order to ice Mike O'Malley at the end of last season. (During which scene, Sammy basically seemed in comfortable with being in the top spot.) Yet in this episode, Picker was ordering Sammy around like a kid, with neither of them acting like Sammy was actually the boss. (And this doesn't even consider the Picker double-cross, which hardly seemed necessary given how weak Sammy apparently is.) The way those two characters were acting threw me off so much that I was having trouble following the scene.
You are correct about Boyd and Duffy. Duffy controlled the Eastern operations for Detroit, with Boyd handling Kentucky. I didn't find it so much subservient as... an understanding. That might not be the right way to put it either. Boyd knew what had to be done and Duffy knew it as well. Duffy was content to let Boyd do what Boyd does best. What I'm REALLY curious about is how their partnership moves forward in the aftermath of Detroit. This should be very interesting with Duffy being a full cast member this season.

I could be wrong on this, but didn't Picker have an entire scene last year about not wanting to be top dog? He was very content to be a right-hand man. My take from it was that Sammy was an even bigger screw-up and blew things up even faster than Picker could have imagined and was doing his best to hold things together by taking over/directing Sammy.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #41
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Paxton was an idiot. I'd have commenced to whuppin' on him too and I'm not half the psychopath Boyd is.
Remind me not to piss you off.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #42
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
You are correct about Boyd and Duffy. Duffy controlled the Eastern operations for Detroit, with Boyd handling Kentucky. I didn't find it so much subservient as... an understanding. That might not be the right way to put it either. Boyd knew what had to be done and Duffy knew it as well. Duffy was content to let Boyd do what Boyd does best. What I'm REALLY curious about is how their partnership moves forward in the aftermath of Detroit. This should be very interesting with Duffy being a full cast member this season.
This is good reasoning, and looking back on the episode I think it makes sense. The one place where Duffy did take the alpha role was at the coffee shop, where he told Boyd to stop hesitating and hand over the money to the Canadians. Otherwise, yes, he was letting Boyd do what needed to be done; when Boyd hesitated, Duffy stood up.

Quote:

I could be wrong on this, but didn't Picker have an entire scene last year about not wanting to be top dog? He was very content to be a right-hand man.
Yes, in the last episode last season. He and Raylan discussed it after Raylan got to the airfield.

Quote:
My take from it was that Sammy was an even bigger screw-up and blew things up even faster than Picker could have imagined and was doing his best to hold things together by taking over/directing Sammy.
Could be. I think this was the weakest part of the episode plotting. I'll have to watch again to understand Picker's explanation of his deal with the Canadians. As I mentioned before, I was so distracted by how that scene was playing out that I didn't fully pay attention to that bit of dialog.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #43
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
...Could be. I think this was the weakest part of the episode plotting. I'll have to watch again to understand Picker's explanation of his deal with the Canadians. As I mentioned before, I was so distracted by how that scene was playing out that I didn't fully pay attention to that bit of dialog.
All that I remember is that Sammy owed the Canadians $1 million and Picker's "deal with the Canadians" was for Picker to take Sammy out, I guess, after he got Boyd's money to pay them back.

Maybe Picker did want to take over Sammy's dope from Canada operation. Being that Boyd let him live, we might see him again.

I had to rewatch to get what the sugar scheme at the beginning was: They smuggle in sugar from Cuba in violation of the Cuba embargo and sell it to shady candy companies.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 01-10-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #44
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

No import duties on the already processed sugar, so much cheaper.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #45
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Boyd continues to have my adoration in spite of his murderous deeds, maybe more so. He's just a great character. Can't wait to see how he ends up getting her out of jail and I hope they don't drag it out too long.
I so agree with this. I should hate Boyd, but I love him! And the way he loves Ava is just so sweet. Two cold blooded killers that I can't help but root for. And just goes to show what an awesome actor Walton Goggins is that he can make me love Boyd so much.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #46
JoBeth66
Temp

The fastest hour of television, even though it was longer than an hour.

Just a completely wonderful episode, all-around. Excellent guest stars. I'm so glad this show is back!!
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #47
mm2margaret
Meagan

LOVE this show....!!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #48
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
No import duties on the already processed sugar, so much cheaper.

--Carlos V.
Not to mention that US$ will buy a LOT more sugar in Cuba than it would in the US. It's basically commodity arbitrage, buy in a cheap location, sell in an expensive one.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #49
pmyers

I really could have used a 3-5 minute "recap" of last season, to refresh my memory. I prefer when they do that. Not everybody binge watches the last season right before the new season.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #50
VegasVic
Craps Player

Agreed.

They showed last years season finale right AFTER this seasons premiere. I guess I should have recorded both and watched the finale before the premiere.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #51
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I really could have used a 3-5 minute "recap" of last season, to refresh my memory. I prefer when they do that. Not everybody binge watches the last season right before the new season.
Usually the last episode of the previous season will have a recap of the previous season, so I just watch the previous season finale if my memory of the last season has faded.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #52
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
About to post the same thing. I was so excited to watch that once it started I realized I had no idea where we were.

I'm spoiled by binge watching. Waiting 6 months for a new season makes my mind go to mush.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #53
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

Jeez, that was a gruesome episode!
bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #54
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I continue to watch and enjoy this and it is entertaining enough, but I've never really fully understood the amount of love it gets. It's one of those shows where I feel like they expect me to have more affection for characters than I do. Really the only character I have affection for is Boyd half the time. The Margo Martindale season had a lot of impact and fun to it, but none of the other seasons have quite grabbed me as much. I'm not too hopeful that this one will either. But I will continue watching because, though it's not a masterpiece, it is still pretty fun and certainly watchable.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #55
Tivortex
Cherished Member

I thought it was a real dick move for Rayland to shoot Deweys swimming pool. He's usually cooler than that.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #56
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivortex View Post
I thought it was a real dick move for Rayland to shoot Deweys swimming pool. He's usually cooler than that.
Not a dick move at all. Dewey was going for his towel/robe, which just happened to be where the gun was stashed. When Raylan found it Dewey told him it wasn't loaded. Thus, had Dewey not gone for the gun in the first place (or lied about it being loaded) Raylan wouldn't have shot the pool. Remember, it was Dewey's "unloaded" gun Raylan used to shoot the pool.

If Raylan wanted to be a dick he could have taken Dewey in for possession of the gun. Or let the knucklehead get the gun and try to point it at Raylan.

I love Dewey and can't wait to see what happens to him this season.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #57
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Not a dick move at all. Dewey was going for his towel/robe, which just happened to be where the gun was stashed. When Raylan found it Dewey told him it wasn't loaded. Thus, had Dewey not gone for the gun in the first place (or lied about it being loaded) Raylan wouldn't have shot the pool. Remember, it was Dewey's "unloaded" gun Raylan used to shoot the pool.

If Raylan wanted to be a dick he could have taken Dewey in for possession of the gun. Or let the knucklehead get the gun and try to point it at Raylan.

I love Dewey and can't wait to see what happens to him this season.
You aren't one of those 2 pool girls, are you?
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #58
stellie93

I didn't even realize that it was Dewey's "unloaded" gun he shot it with. That makes it even funnier.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #59
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
You aren't one of those 2 pool girls, are you?
Sadly, I look more akin to Dewey.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #60
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Oh yeah!

How izzit that good ol' Judge Root hears the case? Isn't he a criminal judge? It sure looked like that was civil claim against the US Marshall's service. And how would that have any bearing on Dewey's criminal sentence? He did escape prison and rob the store, etc.

"You told him he had 4 kidkeys!"
UVerse and OTA