TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
VegasVic
Craps Player

Justified - 1/7/14

Well damn, somehow my recording got messed up. I had set it to record at 9:00 and sat down about 9:30 to watch but it only recorded the first 15 minutes, which included the opening with Olyphant and Goggins talking about Leonard, which was cool. And then the next 10 minutes or so and that's it. I recorded the repeat showing later last night but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

I love the Dewey character. The scene with him in the pool was great.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
tripmac
NASA Supporter

I watched it last night and I thought it set up a huge amount of possibilities for the rest of the season.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmac View Post
I watched it last night and I thought it set up a huge amount of possibilities for the rest of the season.
This....Boyd is BAD ASS (but, then, we already knew that)

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Bob Coxner

I was startled to see Dave "Kids in the Hall" Foley as one of the Canadian mobsters. Of course, Foley is Canadian.

Oddly, he's not credited with it on IMDB so far.

It's great to have Justified back and in typically solid form!
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

After Patton Oswalt last year I was really hoping we'd get to see more of Dave Foley. Looks like that storyline is wrapped though.

Very curious to see how Michael Rapaport works in the Justified universe. I've always liked him as a character actor. Hope he brings Alicia Witt with him.

How can you not love Dewey Crowe? Three hundred dollars?! Marco! Polo!

I wonder if we'll be seeing Paxton's wife again (and if she'll be seeing that $100K).

Always glad to see Wynn Duffy. Such a great character and Jere Burns is brilliant.

Quite the vacuum left in Detroit when Nicky Augustine was taken out last season. Sh@! went downhill real fast!

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Lots of interesting guest stars on that ep. I found Alicia Witt (Wendy), fairly easily, but I don't recall seeing Dave Foley or Jason Gray-Stanford (Lt Disher from "Monk"). Also note that Jere Burns is credited "up front", so I guess that Wynn Duffy and Boyd (2 of Raylan's favorite people!) will be working together this season. I thought it was strange that Burns was credited 3rd (After Oliphant and Nick Searcy), but on further review that group of actors are listed alphabetically.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
Lots of interesting guest stars on that ep. I found Alicia Witt (Wendy), fairly easily, but I don't recall seeing Dave Foley or Jason Gray-Stanford (Lt Disher from "Monk"). Also note that Jere Burns is credited "up front", so I guess that Wynn Duffy and Boyd (2 of Raylan's favorite people!) will be working together this season. I thought it was strange that Burns was credited 3rd (After Oliphant and Nick Searcy), but on further review that group of actors are listed alphabetically.
Disher was the one who took the knife to the gut near the end...I had to really concentrate to figure out where I'd seen him before.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Lots of interesting guest stars on that ep. I found Alicia Witt (Wendy), fairly easily, but I don't recall seeing Dave Foley or Jason Gray-Stanford (Lt Disher from "Monk").
Dave Foley was the Canadian drug supplier in the donut shop. The smaller one with the hat. Took me a minute to recognize him and I had even already seen his name in the credits.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
CraigK
(unspecified)

Ceiling fan.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
Idearat

I noticed Jason Gray-Stanford right off, went to IMDB to see if that was really him but couldn't find confirmation. Too lazy to back up to the credits to look. I'm aways happy to see Alicia Witt and really hoping she'll be around for more of the season. Now that her character's brother is off parole they're free to move up to visit the Kentucky clan.

Raylon shooting the above-ground pool was fun, but a bit of a glitch when he shot twice only to show 3 geysers of water shoot out the side.

When Boyd walked up to the funeral home I was sure I'd seen that building before:
http://www.lataco.com/taco/six-feet-...ome-west-adams
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
Cracked me up. That was awesome.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Yeah, when I saw Sasso and Foley in the credits at the beginning, I knew they were going to be paired together. I thought it slightly odd as they're usually more "obvious" comedy actors and not "subtle" ones like what goes on in Justified.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

There was a lot of mayhem in this episode.

As defined by Sons of Anarchy.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #14
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Why and when did Raylan's wife go to miami?
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
DavidJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Why and when did Raylan's wife go to miami?
Last 10 minutes of last season to stay with her mother. I assume for help with the baby and/or to put some distance between the birth and the unpleasantness of last season.
DavidJL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJL View Post
Last 10 minutes of last season to stay with her mother. I assume for help with the baby and/or to put some distance between the birth and the unpleasantness of last season.
I assume she was just Following other options.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #17
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I watched this last night but was too tired to reply so here I am. So glad this show is back. That opening music makes me giddy because it is so definitive for this show. So much happened for this being the season opener! Raylan continues to have the best swagger on TV. Boyd continues to have my adoration in spite of his murderous deeds, maybe more so. He's just a great character. Can't wait to see how he ends up getting her out of jail and I hope they don't drag it out too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
How can you not love Dewey Crowe? Three hundred dollars?! Marco! Polo!
You can't. He's comedy gold. And him standing there naked with only his hand to cover his junk was so awkward but perfect for the scene.

Quote:
I wonder if we'll be seeing Paxton's wife again (and if she'll be seeing that $100K).
I'm going to go with yes. Why bother giving us that tidbit about her being a doctor if it's not going to come up later?

Quote:
Always glad to see Wynn Duffy. Such a great character and Jere Burns is brilliant.
Yes, he was bumped to a regular this season right? I loved with Sasso referred to him as eyebrows and he actually looked offended. He and Boyd are going to struggle if they are partners. They both want to be top dog.

Quote:
but I don't recall seeing Dave Foley or Jason Gray-Stanford (Lt Disher from "Monk").
Jason was Dilly, the stuttering brother that got stabbed. (Also still reeling from that being AJ Buckley aka one of the Ghostfacers from SPN). I was also kind of bummed they killed off the Cuban character, I like that actor. He was on Prison Break.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #18
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I assume she was just Following other options.
What you did there... I see it.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
I loved with Sasso referred to him as eyebrows and he actually looked offended.
Which he displayed using only his eyebrows.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #20
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Which he displayed using only his eyebrows.
Haha! YES

Also a couple of other thoughts. Raylan ditching is baby? Really Raylan?
And I read it somewhere just now that people think Boyd doesn't love Ava enough to give up his own freedom. I disagree entirely. If he thought that was the only two options, he'd give himself up. However, all that guy did was manage to insult and piss Boyd off and I'm quite sure it wasn't a deal he would have kept. Boyd is confident he'll find a way as am I.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
And I read it somewhere just now that people think Boyd doesn't love Ava enough to give up his own freedom. I disagree entirely. If he thought that was the only two options, he'd give himself up. However, all that guy did was manage to insult and piss Boyd off and I'm quite sure it wasn't a deal he would have kept. Boyd is confident he'll find a way as am I.
Absolutely. His plan is for both of them to be free, which will be a lot easier to swing if he's not in prison himself.

I think if he had to he'd give himself up. But I can't see him ever believing that he has to.

By the way, the dead guy's girlfriend (oops, in this episode I'd better be more specific...the rich dead guy whom Boyd beat to death) was a very nifty bit of subtle writing/directing/acting. The way she conveyed that she wasn't especially bothered by the murder but was afraid for herself but was hiding it was nicely done.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #22
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
By the way, the dead guy's girlfriend (oops, in this episode I'd better be more specific...the rich dead guy whom Boyd beat to death) was a very nifty bit of subtle writing/directing/acting. The way she conveyed that she wasn't especially bothered by the murder but was afraid for herself but was hiding it was nicely done.
I suspect we'll find out she's seen some nasty business in her day back home.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #23
VegasVic
Craps Player

Watched last night. Great start. I wasn't too thrilled about the whole "Where's Waldo" mystery last season. Glad to have it back in it's full glory. Great, great cast. Good to see Natalie Zea back, at least a little bit. I've always enjoyed Michael Rapaport too.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #24
VegasVic
Craps Player

"I think he bumped his head"
Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #25
Jonathan_S

Quote:
I'm going to go with yes. Why bother giving us that tidbit about her being a doctor if it's not going to come up later?
Good point. Why let us know about an unlicensed medical professional, who's willing to take a bribe to stay silent, if she's not going to get used sooner to later to patch up crooks.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #26
VegasVic
Craps Player

Is Paxton actually dead? I assumed so but then his wife said something like "I'll take care of you baby" near the end. Or maybe I'm not remembering it all correctly.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #27
eddyj

She did. Could be prepping his body for burial, or talking about revenge, or maybe he is not dead. It was not clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #28
tiassa
Me --Avatar

"I'll Take care of you" -- it has more than one meaning!
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #29
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I was startled to see Dave "Kids in the Hall" Foley as one of the Canadian mobsters. Of course, Foley is Canadian.

Oddly, he's not credited with it on IMDB so far.

It's great to have Justified back and in typically solid form!
It was all comedians, all the time. John Kapelos from Second City, real Canadian Dave Foley and Will (Curley) Sasso (and I will not be able to not see him as Curley) and Dave Koechner.

I was convinced with all that talking about his daughter that Dave was destined to buy it.

How about Latvian Doctor trophy wife, "Kill me or leave." We gotta be seeing her again.

We never saw how Sammy had his downfall. The last we saw him he was landing in a bizjet and having his goons wipe out his subversive guy. How does he go to hiding on top of a wrecked Detroit tenement?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 01-09-2014 at 01:08 PM.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #30
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Graham Yost is continuing the EXCELLENT job in channeling Dutch Leonard. That Coast Guard cop was pure Elmore, as well as more Crowes.

The way Coast Guard guy bought it.

The way Maldonado bought it.

I wonder if Elmore Leonard saw this script.

Look for a thread with the Cuban Maldonado family coming after Raylan and/or the Crowes, and we're off to Mexico.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote