TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
artemis89

Which slingbox should I use?

I'm looking for a solution to stream my TV and recorded shows on my Tivo outside of the home. I have a series3 HD with lifetime. I would like to use a slingbox with it. (I live alone so no worries about disturbing someone's TV when I use it outside of the house).

Any ideas of what slingbox model to use? I will be watching with an iPad 4, mostly. Cheaper, the better. I don't really care about any other features other than watching with iPad. I don't need it to use wifi either, as I can hook it up to my ethernet. Thanks.
artemis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
LI-SVT

Slingbox Solo would work. The video quality from the newer units is better though. If I were to buy one today I would get the 350.
LI-SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
|alobarap|

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-SVT View Post
Slingbox Solo would work. The video quality from the newer units is better though. If I were to buy one today I would get the 350.
Just out of curiosity, why (apart from price) would you chose a 350 over the newer M1? I'm contemplating buying a TiVo Mini and pairing it up with a Slingbox. Thanks!
|alobarap| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
artemis89

I ended up getting a Slingbox Solo. It was $40 used on eBay from the original buyer/owner. Got it set up last night and I am very impressed. The video quality is actually pretty decent, and I am just using component cables. I may have a S video cable around, I'll have to see, but for now, I'm happy. I don't feel like the quality is bad at all.

Set up was a breeze. I keep my router near my TV so I was able to connect via ethernet. Component cables going from Slingbox into the Tivo box. When setting up the remote, I found that I had to use the Tivo series3 remote "#5", that was the one that worked for me.

There is a slight delay when using the "remote" through the app or through my computer, but it's not that big of a deal at all. I'm just really psyched that I am able to watch all of my channels and Tivo recordings away from home, no worries about being locked out or anything like that.

I'm really happy I ended up getting this. I plan to keep my series3 for a long time and this just makes it all the more useful to me.
artemis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
LI-SVT

Glad the Solo has worked out for you. M1 vs 350 was simply price. I don't think the M1 does anything the 350 does'nt.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:00 AM   #6
Series3Sub

One thing to consider: the current generation of Slingbox, 500 renamed SlingTV, the 350 being replaced by the M1, and the M1 will support all the new ways to access Sling such as via Roku, and new mobile apps, etc. The older generation like the Solo never will. The M1 is really a well priced box for someone who just wants to Sling and be able to do so to a Roku and all the mobile devices available today. Further, the current generation does produce better PQ. The M1 is finally the reasonably priced Slingbox. I say go for it.

I got myself a 500 (before they renamed it SlingTV ) because I wanted two different boxes connected to one Slingbox and it serves my purpose well.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
LI-SVT

The Solo won't work with the Roku? Interesting.

The Solo does work with the WD player I have.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-SVT View Post
The Solo won't work with the Roku? Interesting.

The Solo does work with the WD player I have.
Yeah, and that is another controversy: It seems that I and others have been experiencing difficulty with the WD App when using Sling. It will not Sling at the higher quality settings and will also lose connection. It will also stop streaming and claim someone else is using the Slingbox, do you want to kick them off message appears. The stream to the WD device will be choppy and macro-blocking and sometimes the audio may not be in synch. Highly frustrating for growing numbers of people. It becomes unwatchable.

I found a temporary fix, but that only lasted a few weeks. Please go to the Sling forums at Sling website and read on. It is a pretty big deal, and when customers try to get support from Sling on this issue, they are pretty much given very little help. And WD is absolutely NO HELP concerning the Sling App on its boxes, either. It got so bad, I bought a Mini, but thankfully, at the new temporary service included price.

I think both Sling and WD consider the Sling App for WD to be a legacy product. It sure seems like Sling is pushing the Roku App for now and the future. Now there is hardly any lit on any other "connected devices" at the Sling site. We can't figure out if the last update to the Sling App on WD messed things up by accident or Sling messed it up on purpose. Sling really is THE BEST at what it does, so I am willing to move along to the Roku when I am ready, but won't spend the money until I have to.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Series3Sub : 11-17-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote