TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
plantsower

Ethernet Connection Question

I just ordered a Tivo Premier TCD746500. I am waiting to receive it. My current Tivo Series 2 is connected with a phone line. I would like to connect my new Tivo via Ethernet. I just don't understand how I can do this.

I read where you connect the ethernet cable to the Tivo and then to the router. My router is hard wired and is in another room.

How am I supposed to work this out? The ethernet cable is short.

I have a Vizio Smart TV if that helps. I have a Macbook Pro if that helps.

Please talk in layman's terms.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by plantsower : 12-25-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Forgot some info.
plantsower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
rahnbo

All you need is an available port in your router and a long enough ethernet cable to reach from that port to your Tivo. Something like this: http://amzn.com/B001TH7GVO

If the Tivo is the only thing in near vicinity of the new Tivo you want to plug in to the router then that is all you need. You'll want to figure out how you're going to secure that cable be in under carpet, along the baseboards, with duct tape, chewing gum etc.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
plantsower

Arrow

But that's my point. The router is far away from the Tivo. I was hoping there was another way besides a long cord going through the house. And the ethernet cable is short. If that's my only option, what kind of cable to I connect it to to make it longer? Oh, forgive me, I see the cable you meant when I clicked on your link. Anyway, I am hoping there is another way. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
All you need is an available port in your router and a long enough ethernet cable to reach from that port to your Tivo. Something like this: http://amzn.com/B001TH7GVO

If the Tivo is the only thing in near vicinity of the new Tivo you want to plug in to the router then that is all you need. You'll want to figure out how you're going to secure that cable be in under carpet, along the baseboards, with duct tape, chewing gum etc.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Pokeyjoe

I'm guessing your router also generates a wi-fi signal (or do you plug in your MacBook?). Tivo sells a wireless adapter you can plug into the Tivo unit. All done.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
plantsower

Right. It generates a signal. I don't plug my computer into it. So, the wireless adaptor works even though my router is wired? Sorry, I'm not very techie minded. I would get the wireless adaptor and plug it into the Tivo and then it would be able to download the programming info off the internet?

I read where wired is better and faster but anything would be faster than my phone line, right? Fast isn't an issue anyway as long as it gets the programs.

I also read where if I use the phone line, I will only get a few days worth of programming downloaded, but if I use wi-fi, I will get two weeks worth. Not sure if that's true.

Thanks for helping me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
I'm guessing your router also generates a wi-fi signal (or do you plug in your MacBook?). Tivo sells a wireless adapter you can plug into the Tivo unit. All done.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
Pokeyjoe

Yes, it sounds like you just need the adapter. If your MacBook is OK as far as speed goes, the Tivo will be fine. Here's the link to the adapter:

Click on the pic. Not cheap, but solves your problem.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
plantsower

My microwave enabled internet is only 768 kbps. Hope that's fast enough. This particular adaptor doesn't mention Premier. I can look for another one, though.

What about an ethernet bridge? Would that work even though my router isn't wireless?

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
Yes, it sounds like you just need the adapter. If your MacBook is OK as far as speed goes, the Tivo will be fine. Here's the link to the adapter:

Click on the pic. Not cheap, but solves your problem.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
plantsower

Ooops. Sorry, it does cover Premiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post

Old 12-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

A Tivo Series 2 and newer can use the network to connect, not just for guide data (the phone limits it to guide data only,) there are alot more features then its connected to the network. You can do things like download its recordings, Netflix, youtube and more. The Series 2 can also connect to the network, but it needs a network adapter for wired, or the Tivo branded G speed wireless adapter, which connects to the USB port. The above mentioned adapter is a Wireless-N bridge adapter which must be plugged into the Premiere's network port.

This is the Wireless-G USB adapter for Tivo.
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-AG0100-Wi...&keywords=Tivo

This is the Wireless-N USB adapter for Series 3, Premiere.
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-AN0100-Wi...&keywords=Tivo
It is $50 less here then the from the link above, but it is the same item.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 12-26-2013 at 02:56 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
plantsower

Thank you for the info. I need to get rid of my Series 2 even though there is nothing wrong with it that I know of. We recently decided to get rid of Dish TV and have installed a roof antenna. It brings in the digital channels in HD which the Series 2 can't handle. That's why I needed to know how to hook up the Premium Tivo. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
A Tivo Series 2 and newer can use the network to connect, not just for guide data (the phone limits it to guide data only,) there are alot more features then its connected to the network. You can do things like download its recordings, Netflix, youtube and more. The Series 2 can also connect to the network, but it needs a network adapter for wired, or the Tivo branded G speed wireless adapter, which connects to the USB port. The above mentioned adapter is a Wireless-N bridge adapter which must be plugged into the Premiere's network port.

This is the Wireless-G USB adapter for Tivo.
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-AG0100-Wi...&keywords=Tivo

This is the Wireless-N USB adapter for Series 3, Premiere.
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-AN0100-Wi...&keywords=Tivo
It is $50 less here then the from the link above, but it is the same item.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
cherry ghost

You might want to post the make and model of your current router.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
plantsower

Thanks. It's a wired, Belkin router. Model#: F507234-4 V5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
You might want to post the make and model of your current router.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
jrtroo
User

Wired is definitely superior, though wireless should be ok if all you need is guide data.

Ethernet cord can be 100' long without a problem if needed. Is it too difficult to run it along a baseboard or through a wall to the router?
Old 12-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
plantsower

I may very well go with the Ethernet cable. I just don't like wires everywhere, as we have plenty of those already.

But having read about the wireless N adapter, it sounds like it can be kind of complicated, and I'm not up for that.

Thanks you for you input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Wired is definitely superior, though wireless should be ok if all you need is guide data.

Ethernet cord can be 100' long without a problem if needed. Is it too difficult to run it along a baseboard or through a wall to the router?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantsower View Post
Thanks. It's a wired, Belkin router. Model#: F507234-4 V5
That router won't work with the N adapter, only the G

I'd recommend getting a better router and a wireless bridge
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
plantsower

OK, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
That router won't work with the N adapter, only the G

I'd recommend getting a better router and a wireless bridge

Old 12-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Don't discount PNA (Powerline Network Adapters) as an option to get ethernet from one side of the house to the other, at an average of about $40 a pair they're very affordable and IMO will offer an easier and faster than wireless G solution.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
plantsower

Hi Diane:

I've never heard of PNA's, but if an ethernet cord can be up to 100', what would the advantage of the PNA be? Is it a long cord also, or how does it work?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Don't discount PNA (Powerline Network Adapters) as an option to get ethernet from one side of the house to the other, at an average of about $40 a pair they're very affordable and IMO will offer an easier and faster than wireless G solution.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Thank you for the info. I need to get rid of my Series 2 even though there is nothing wrong with it that I know of. We recently decided to get rid of Dish TV and have installed a roof antenna. It brings in the digital channels in HD which the Series 2 can't handle. That's why I needed to know how to hook up the Premium Tivo. Thanks again.
You would need to use a digital converter box with the Series 2 to record OTA (antenna) and the IR blaster (cord with 2 odd things at one end) to control the converter box.

Quote:
Hi Diane:

I've never heard of PNA's, but if an ethernet cord can be up to 100', what would the advantage of the PNA be? Is it a long cord also, or how does it work?

Thanks.
Power Line adapters use your home's electrical system to network between 2 adapters. The downside is the possibility of electrical interference.

With the Tivo Wireless-N adapters and that your router may not be N-Ready, 2 adapters can be used as a wireless-N bridge, with 1 connected to the Tivo and the other at the router.
The N adapters are a bit more complicated then the G adapters because the N needs to be setup prior to connecting to Tivo by connecting to your computer to set things up.

The G version does not require that step.

~~~~~

Old 12-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
plantsower

I think someone said I would need a "G" adapter because my router is wired. I will look into "G" adapters, too.

Thank you.

Quote:
You would need to use a digital converter box with the Series 2 to record OTA (antenna) and the IR blaster (cord with 2 odd things at one end) to control the converter box.

Power Line adapters use your home's electrical system to network between 2 adapters. The downside is the possibility of electrical interference.

With the Tivo Wireless-N adapters and that your router may not be N-Ready, 2 adapters can be used as a wireless-N bridge, with 1 connected to the Tivo and the other at the router.
The N adapters are a bit more complicated then the G adapters because the N needs to be setup prior to connecting to Tivo by connecting to your computer to set things up.

The G version does not require that step.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
You said you didn't want cords all over the house, PNAs solve that.
Plug one in by the router and connect with a short ethernet cable,
Plug the other in by the Tivo with a short ethernet cable.
$29, clean, simple, effective in almost all cases.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRUIY4/

In theory there is a potential for electrical interference, it's rarer than you think. IMO it beats the pants off wireless and is far easier to hook up in most cases if you stick to a 2-pack from a vendor, I no longer recommend wireless for anything but portable devices for friends and family, with the decreased cost and increased quality of PNA units.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
plantsower

Hi Diane:

I clicked on your link for the PNA and read that there is a button I should push on the router and the Tivo. Do you know which buttons they are talking about? I do see a small button on the front of my Belkin router.

If I have this straight, I just plug one into my router and one into my Tivo and I am good to go without involving a computer?

Thanks for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
You said you didn't want cords all over the house, PNAs solve that.
Plug one in by the router and connect with a short ethernet cable,
Plug the other in by the Tivo with a short ethernet cable.
$29, clean, simple, effective in almost all cases.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRUIY4/

In theory there is a potential for electrical interference, it's rarer than you think. IMO it beats the pants off wireless and is far easier to hook up in most cases if you stick to a 2-pack from a vendor, I no longer recommend wireless for anything but portable devices for friends and family, with the decreased cost and increased quality of PNA units.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Hi Diane:

I clicked on your link for the PNA and read that there is a button I should push on the router and the Tivo. Do you know which buttons they are talking about? I do see a small button on the front of my Belkin router.

If I have this straight, I just plug one into my router and one into my Tivo and I am good to go without involving a computer?

Thanks for your time.
Thay may be called the WPS button, on your router, which is used to connect other wireless devices so this does not apply to the PNA.

~~~~~

Last edited by ThAbtO : 12-26-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #24
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Hi Diane:

Thanks for your time.
The 2 buttons are on the PNAs.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #25
plantsower

Thank you.

Quote:
Thay may be called the WPS button, on your router, which is used to connect other wireless devices so this does not apply to the PNA.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
plantsower

OK. That makes total sense. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBL View Post

Old 12-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #27
unitron

You might be able to find a used TiVo brand "G" wireless adapter on your local Craigslist for $20 or $25 bucks.

You could get it and use it with your S2 just to get a feel for the process of using a wireless adapter with a TiVo, and when you get the Premiere, try the G adapter with it and your present router and see if it's an acceptably fast enough combination.

If not, you can consider other options, like moving up to an "N" wireless router and the TiVo brand "N" wireless adapter, or the PNA route with your present router.

And you can put your Series 2 and the G adapter on Craigslist as a combo to increase the chance of a sale.

For a Wireless "G" adapter, the TiVo brand one is a good piece of gear--it has a microprocessor of its own built in that does a lot of the work that would otherwise have to be done by the TiVo's processor. It's a shame TiVo didn't write drivers for it that would allow it to be used with computers.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I have a Tivo G adapter, which was previously used on my, now retired, Series 2 Tivo.

~~~~~

Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #29
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBL View Post

They're for encryption should you desire to use it, it's not a requirement, especially if you're in a single family home, not using it is one less step.

I'm not kidding, with the success I've had in multiple homes with PNA hookups, I would never use wireless on a stationary device, the PNA just gives a far more stable, reliable, and simple connection, no passwords or keys, no getting them wrong, etc, and if you don't add options, 9/10 times you can just plug them in, connect the network cables, and you're done.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #30
plantsower

That's something to think about. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You might be able to find a used TiVo brand "G" wireless adapter on your local Craigslist for $20 or $25 bucks.

You could get it and use it with your S2 just to get a feel for the process of using a wireless adapter with a TiVo, and when you get the Premiere, try the G adapter with it and your present router and see if it's an acceptably fast enough combination.

If not, you can consider other options, like moving up to an "N" wireless router and the TiVo brand "N" wireless adapter, or the PNA route with your present router.

And you can put your Series 2 and the G adapter on Craigslist as a combo to increase the chance of a sale.

For a Wireless "G" adapter, the TiVo brand one is a good piece of gear--it has a microprocessor of its own built in that does a lot of the work that would otherwise have to be done by the TiVo's processor. It's a shame TiVo didn't write drivers for it that would allow it to be used with computers.