TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
rbienstock

Recover or extract from HD?

My Premiere XL has, I think, just died. Basically it won't boot up. I get the Welcome screen but after about 5 min. it goes to a black screen and then all the front panel LEDs start flashing. I don't really need to get the unit to work because the XL is obsolete and I'll replace it with a Roameo, but I have several shows on the HD that aren't available anywhere else. Is there any way to extract those shows from the old unit? The network doesn't see the unit, so I can't use the Desktop software to get at the shows.

Robert
rbienstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Well, you need to get it to work to get those shows off of it.

I would start by taking out the drive and run WD diagnostics to see if the drive itself is bad.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbienstock View Post
My Premiere XL has, I think, just died. Basically it won't boot up. I get the Welcome screen but after about 5 min. it goes to a black screen and then all the front panel LEDs start flashing. I don't really need to get the unit to work because the XL is obsolete and I'll replace it with a Roameo, but I have several shows on the HD that aren't available anywhere else. Is there any way to extract those shows from the old unit? The network doesn't see the unit, so I can't use the Desktop software to get at the shows.

You don't have an external drive attached to that unit, do you?

My hands on experience is all with TiVos older than the Premieres, but it sounds like the problem might be the hard drive, though no guarantees.

Do you happen to have another 1TB (or 1.5 or 2TB) drive you could make use of temporarily?

You could ask in this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

for a TCD748000 image that you could restore to that other drive using the DvrBARS program, and stick that in the TiVo and see if it'll boot up.

If it does, then your motherboard and power supply are okay, probably.

(If you have cable cards, try booting, using the current drive, with them not in the TiVo, just to see if it behaves any differently at all--S4s aren't at risk for power supply problems the way S2s and S3s are, but it's not absolutely impossible, and if a lowered current demand makes a difference of any kind in behavior, that's a clue)

And you can, while you've got the TiVo opened and the test drive connected, run the manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test on the drive that came in the TiVo when new, just to see if it has any problems on a level lower than the software on the drive.

Also you can run

wdidle3.exe

to make absolutely sure that a drive with Intellipark enabled didn't slip by in the factory.

If you make yourself a bootable copy of the Ultimate Boot CD, you'll have both bits of WD software in one place, as well as other useful stuff.

Depending on what's found out, it might be possible to copy the current drive to the temporary stand-in via

ddrescue

which is also on the UBCD, and which will do it as a byte for byte "Xerox-ing", making multiple attempts to read any problem areas, and perhaps we can obtain a working copy, or one close enough for the TiVo itself to repair it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote