TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
egkor

XL4/Premier4 more sluggish than 2-tuner Premiers?

Are the 4-tuner Premiers (XL4, Premier4) more sluggish with regard to the User Interface (menu navigation, option selection, etc.) than the 2-tuner Premiers?

Currently I have 3 2-tuner Premiers in service, month-to-month, MSD, etc.

I found Open Box at a local Best Buy both a XL4 and a Premier4. I went ahead and grabbed them as the pricing was really good.

My plan was to retire the 3 2-tuner Premiers, and place into service both the 4-tuner Premiers, plus a Tivo Mini.

However, I'm now concerned that the 4-tuner Premiers will be disappointingly sluggish in the UI. My 3 2-tuner Premiers are sometimes a bit laggy and sluggish (using the HD menus) but overall I've been satisfied.

I don't want to fully commit to the 4-tuner Premiers only to find out they are more laggy/sluggish than what I've accepted with the 2-tuner units.

Thanks for any observations/advice.

-Gary K
egkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
ADG
Allan

The number of tuners has nothing to do with the user interface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
egkor

Hi Alan,

Understood.

However, 2 things:

1) Reading through past posts, it seems to me there are more user complaints of "sluggishness" and resulting upset/disappointment with the 4-tuner Premier models than with the 2-tuner models.

2) IMHO it would take more system resources (processor load) to perform and manage 4 simultaneous recording streams at once, compared to 2 (since Tivos are constantly writing each tuner stream to disk). Since shared processor resources are being used to manage the continuous 4 simultaneous tuner-data-to-disk streams, then the User Interface (UI) can act "sluggish". So I would guess there *is* a relationship between number of tuners and observed UI response time (and available processor horsepower and resources).

I just don't want to have to activate and set up plans/etc. to observe the performance of the 4-tuner model(s) compared to what I'm used to with the 2-tuner models.

So that's why I ask the question here.

-Gary K
Old 01-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

seems like you already have your answer.

However, performance seems to vary and opinion of what is acceptable is on a case by case basis. So, to really know the experience you would be advised to bit the bullet, knowing you have 30 days to rescind.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
moyekj

Yes, my Elite has always been more sluggish than 2 tuner Premiere. So much so that when Mini came out I actually used it as a front end to my Elite because I couldn't stand to interact with sluggish Elite directly. Now I have a much faster Roamio Pro I never use my series 4 units anymore, leaving them for other family members to use.

So if you're buying to add more tuners you should consider Roamio + Minis if you want fastest current TiVo experience possible. Having 6 tuners on 1 unit makes it way easier on scheduling as well as you don't have to manage multiple units for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
egkor

Thanks for the replies.

I had found the 4-tuner units new and open-box priced.

I was originally thinking of replacing my 3 2-tuner units with the 2 4-tuner units.

But now I'm not so sure.

Thanks again!

-Gary K
Old 01-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
ADG
Allan

I have 2 S3's, a Premier Elite (4 tuners) and a Roamio Plus. I have no problem with the speed of the user interface on the Elite.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Bigg

I think the XL4 gets a bit slower when more stuff is recording, plus they can have Minis attached to them, whereas the 2 tuner ones can't. If it is in fact slower when using more tuners, it's not by much.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
waterchange

I know it's going to cost a tad more but I myself would go with the base Roamio from Best Buy instead. Price match to Amazon's $149 and get $50 Best Buy gift card. This gives you a $100 Roamio. Use the $50 at Best Buy or convert to Kindle gift card and put it towards a 2TB hard drive.

In the big picture, the service cost (monthly or lifetime) is the most expensive consideration. And this is the same cost with whatever hardware you choose so I myself would invest in the latest TiVo hardware if you are going to upgrade now. Even if it costs a bit more than a clearance XL4.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I think the XL4 gets a bit slower when more stuff is recording, plus they can have Minis attached to them, whereas the 2 tuner ones can't. If it is in fact slower when using more tuners, it's not by much.
Don't think so, I see no speed diff no matter how many channels are buffering or recording.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Bigg

Who would buy a Premiere now? They're completely outdated compared to the Roamio. I don't see the need to drop $1100 on a new DVR, but for someone buying one anyways, the Roamio line is the obvious option.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
Davelnlr_

My premier 2 tuner and premier 4 tuner are both the same speed. Recordings dont seem to make any difference. Internet connectivity does, however. If your internet is laggy or slow, it will make the premiers UI slower, since I guess it uses the internet quite a bit. Since upgrading to performance internet (28 down, 6 up), Ive had no speed issues.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
egkor

Wow, thanks for your replies everyone.

This feedback is very helpful.

I will call Tivo for what they will do for service pricing for my current Premier2(s) vs. the Premier4(s) (or Romio(s)).

-Gary K