TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
timckelley
TCFer

pyTiVo share folders are doubled

This is kind of a new problem. As far as what has changed in our house recently: my wife created new share folders, and deleted others without telling me. The pyTiVo configuration file didn't know this, so it got goofed up. Among other problems, the share folders were showing up twice on the TiVos. As I'd scroll down Now Playing, I'd see all the shares, and below that, they'd show up again, but with (2) after each share name.

So I went in, and modified pyTiVo.conf to reflect the new shares. Normally I use the user interface provided by "localhost:9032" typed into my chrome browser to modify this file. But my wife now has 26 shares defined , and it's less work for me to use Windows Notepad to directly edit pyTiVo.conf

Anyway, I did that, and forced the TiVos to do a network connection, and that still didn't fix it, so I rebooted the TiVos. The S2 is now perfect, and the share folders are no longer doubled, but my TiVo Premier is still doubled. I've restarted pyTiVo several times, rebooted the TiVo, and also forced it to connect the network, and nothing is fixing it.

I will say that both instances of each share folder correctly show the contents, so really this is just a cosmetic problem. I assume I could go to either instance and initiate an HMO transfer if I wanted to.

By the way, when I view the shares via localhost:9032, it's not doubled at all. It looks perfectly fine there.

Is this doubling a symptom anybody has ever noticed happening with pyTiVo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

1. Quit pyTivo (don't restart it yet).
2. On the affected TiVo, if any pyTivo shares still appear, select one. At this point, either the shares will be removed automatically, or you'll be asked if you want to remove them. Repeat if necessary, until no pyTivo shares are listed.
3. Restart pyTivo.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
timckelley
TCFer

Thank you. That solution sounds like it should be very easy to implement.

My wife is actually transferring files at the moment and doesn't want me to quit pyTiVo yet, but probably tomorrow, I'll get windows of opportunity to follow your instructions.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Tim,

I have experienced the doubling of the folders with no solution ever offered for me.

For the record, I have the latest pyTiVo (as of July 2013).
Win XP (to SP3+) --- yes, I know, support is ending, but my PC is circa 2005.
Two S2s
All will be updated soon I hope

I have never experienced any adverse effects of the doubling of the folders, although, there would be occasions where one or the other instance of the the folder would NOT link to the actual folder.

I am going to try the fix suggested also.

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
timckelley
TCFer

The solution didn't work. After I quit pyTiVo, the doubled folders were still there, and when I clicked on one (on our TiVo Premiere), after a fair amount of delay (maybe 15 seconds or so if I were to guess), it said that <share>'s now playing is unavailable, or something to that effect, and it instructed me to click <left arrow> to return to the previous menu.

So I did that, and the folder did not get deleted, nor was I given an option to tell it to delete it.

Could it have anything to do with how I quit pyTiVo? I don't see any quit command, so the way I always do it is to (in Windows XP), close the DOS window that contains all the pyTiVo status messages by clicking the 'X' in the upper right corner, and then I go into "Services" via control panel, and it gives an option to stop or restart pyTiVo; I tell it to stop it.

By chance is there a more correct way I should be using to quit pyTiVo?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yeah, you should do a Control-C in the pyTivo window.

But, um, you shouldn't have a DOS window and a Windows startup service. That means you're running it twice...

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
timckelley
TCFer

Oh... I must be doing it wrong then. The way I've been starting pyTiVo is by clicking a shortcut that I believes runs pyTiVo.py, and then I go into services and start the pyTiVo service running. I bet this is causing the double running you speak of. I assume I should not be starting the Windows service then, and just be running pyTiVo.pv.

I'm trying to remember why I'm doing both these things. It seems like a long time ago, I couldn't get it to work unless I did both, but now I can't remember what exactly would happen if I didn't run both. Maybe the localhost:9032 wasn't displaying everything or something. Maybe things are different now (e.g. my config file is not the same now as it was then), and there's no good reason for me to be doing both.

Well my wife is transferring again, so I guess I won't be doing more fiddling until tomorrow, but I guess what I should do next is quit pyTiVo by doing Control-C as you say, and also make sure the Windows service isn't running, and then only start it up once. I'm not sure if that will fix the problem or not, but I'll give it a try.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc