TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
aaronbooker

Adding Moca to Comcast Triple Play Modem

I've read all that I can find on this topic but not exactly what I'd need. I am wondering if someone can help me with the specific equipment I need. I'm hoping to order it all from Amazon today.

I have a Roamio Plus and a Mini coming next week - and I have Comcast Triple Play. My internet/voice modem is in a different room than my two TVs and I am currently using wireless to cover my house. (Airport Extreme)

In my reading, I can't use Wireless to stream live TV or recorded shows to my Tivo Mini, so I'm going to need to use Moca. All well and good, but I'll need a Moca Adapter at my modem, correct? I'd like to order one today, but I'm not sure which one (Actiontec looks like it's best?) and if I'll need splitters (which one?) or filters?

It's all a bit confusing, and I'd love to order known good components based on someone else's experience. Thank you for paying it forward!

Aaron
aaronbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Not necessarily- the roamio plus can output MOCA if connected to hardwired ethernet. Running ethernet is relatively easy, hopefully close by for your use!

You may need a filter to keep the signal within your walls and not share with neighbors.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
aaronbooker

Yup running ethernet would be ideal - but Ethernet is not close by either TV and fishing it through walls isn't any fun in an old house... I love the idea of Moca - as the Coax is already in all three locations.

I need to go the Moca adapter route at the modem location. What known good products should I be buying?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
donnoh

Here is what you need to do.
1. Get an ActionTec ECB2500C and connect it at your cable modem, incoming cable to input and then the output coax to the cable modem.
2. Connect a short Ethernet cable from the MoCA adapter to your router.
3. Set up your Roamio to use Ethernet + MoCA.

The Mini and the Roamio will go through the MoCA adapter to get their internet connections and the Mini and Roamio will connect to each other via MoCA. This is how I have mine set up and its worked right out of the box.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
tatergator1

For your setup, you'll need a single adapter as you've already determined. The only real MoCA Ethernet adapter manufacturer I've ever seen is Actiontec. These are the same brand that Tivo sells as well. Since you only need one, the best price I've seen is from Tivo directly. Amazon is currently out of stock, and it's $70 anyways. Tivo's price is $50. I recently purchased the 2-pack of these adapters, but haven't had time to set them up yet. I can tell you that the 2-pack came with (2) short coax cables, (2) short Ethernet cables, and a two-way splitter. I'm guessing the single adapter would come with one of each cable, and maybe the splitter.

Another reason to go via Tivo is they also have POE filters for $9 each. The only Amazon seller is $20. You'll want at least (1) POE filter, and probably (2) to be safe. One is installed where your cable service enters your house. The other might be needed right before the coax enters the cable modem. If it's relatively new, it may have it's own MoCA filter built-in. There is potential for the MoCA signals to interfere with the modem, but I've not seen anyone ever complain of that on this forum.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
aaronbooker

Thanks guys! Will get it ordered...

Really appreciate both of you chiming in.

Aaron