TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
jeff-4

Setting controls on a mini for airbnb room

I am setting up an airbnb rental in my basement, and I would like to use a mini to provide cable access for a TV there. However, I would like to set this mini up in a manner so that ONLY streaming of the cable TV stations is allowed. Specifically, I do not want this mini to be able to access or change and recordings, settings, etc., on my Roamio plus. My concern is the security of my accounts while still providing access to cable TV stations. (I'd actually be OK with this mini setting up recordings, etc., but it would have to be on a separate account.)

Is this possible? Or would it make more sense to set up the TV in this room in a different manner? The room does have access to WiFi (at streaming speeds). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

jeff-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff-4 View Post
I am setting up an airbnb rental in my basement, and I would like to use a mini to provide cable access for a TV there. However, I would like to set this mini up in a manner so that ONLY streaming of the cable TV stations is allowed. Specifically, I do not want this mini to be able to access or change and recordings, settings, etc., on my Roamio plus. My concern is the security of my accounts while still providing access to cable TV stations. (I'd actually be OK with this mini setting up recordings, etc., but it would have to be on a separate account.) Is this possible? Or would it make more sense to set up the TV in this room in a different manner? The room does have access to WiFi (at streaming speeds). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
I can't imagine it would work with a mini since it's just a reflection of its host. Who is your cable operator? If it happens to be Time Warner then they have an excellent app for streamers like the Roku that could easily do what you wish and act like a nice cable STB replacement, plus they could use the streaming apps as well. Just make sure you're logged out of all of them when people stay there.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
jeff-4

Comcast is my provider (sigh). I do like the idea of a Roku box. I'll investigate the options with Comcast.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
jeff-4

What about slingbox coupled with the Roamio TiVo? Any advice out there?

Old 04-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
fcfc2

Not the solution

Hi,
The sling box would be setup to control all of the functions on your Tivo, that's how it works....this would actually be worse in your situation.
The cheapest solution may be to rent a cable box from your provider.

Last edited by fcfc2; 04-01-2015 at 01:02 PM.
fcfc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Hi, The sling box would be setup to control all of the functions on your Tivo, that's how it works....this would actually be worse in your situation. The cheapest solution may be to rent a cable box from your provider.
.....or the Samsung Media player with apps and cablecard, if you can find it new or just buy used.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GX-SM5...g+media+player

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
jeff-4

Quote:
Hi,
The sling box would be setup to control all of the functions on your Tivo, that's how it works....this would actually be worse in your situation.
The cheapest solution may be to rent a cable box from your provider.
I checked with Comcast, and it will const $9.95/moth for an extra HD adapter to add a TV in this room. At this price, the option of spending $100 or so on hardware that will allow me to throw a tuner to the TV in the airbnb room looks very reasonable. Can I pursue this idea further? By the way, I posted a similar question to the Roamio forum; see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=527231

Old 04-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
fcfc2

Hi again,
The samsung unit will do the job with one additional cable card. Just do the math, if the payback is 2 years or less, it is a good investment. The Amazon link about has one decent priced unit, the link below is the lowest I found on Ebay but don't know what the final price will be a couple hours. I have used these samsung units, pretty decent picture and a so-so media player. Out put is HDMI only...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-GX-S...item5672aa6358

fcfc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
jeff-4

Quote:
Hi again,
The samsung unit will do the job with one additional cable card. Just do the math, if the payback is 2 years or less, it is a good investment. The Amazon link about has one decent priced unit, the link below is the lowest I found on Ebay but don't know what the final price will be a couple hours. I have used these samsung units, pretty decent picture and a so-so media player. Out put is HDMI only...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-GX-S...item5672aa6358
As far as I can tell from Comcast, the cost of an additional cablecard is $9.95/month less, perhaps, a $2.50 credit for user-owned equipment. Using this math, I'd need about 4 years to repay the cost of any purchased hardware. Looks like I either bite the bullet and pay Comcast for an extra outlet or perhaps just offer streaming using Roku or other in the airbnb room. Thanks for your suggestion!

Old 04-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
telemark

I imagine you can use the Mini and a custom programmed remote control.

So you just want, LiveTV button, and numbers or channel up and down.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: