TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
arewhy

Mini joins MoCA but will not connect to Tivo/Internet

I set up MoCA using the Roamio Pro as the MoCA bridge and connected the mini and connected using MoCA and the mini gets an ip address and everything appears to be fine. I can stream from the Roamio and the PHY TX/RX are 268/280. I've put POEs, where the cable enters the house, and on the TA. However, the mini fails the internet port configuration and DNS test, and fails when connecting to Tivo. All ping attempts timeout. Any suggestions?

arewhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewhy View Post
I set up MoCA using the Roamio Pro as the MoCA bridge and connected the mini and connected using MoCA and the mini gets an ip address and everything appears to be fine. I can stream from the Roamio and the PHY TX/RX are 268/280. I've put POEs, where the cable enters the house, and on the TA. However, the mini fails the internet port configuration and DNS test, and fails when connecting to Tivo. All ping attempts timeout. Any suggestions?
Hi,
Assuming you have tried the usual reboot everything, router Tivo, & Mini and you are certain the Mini is on the same account as the Roamio, and you are sick of trying things, try,
Settings > Help > Restart or Reset > Clear and Delete Everything.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
TonyD79

I had a similar problem. Fully functional Bolt. I added a mini, which connected to the TiVo service (including a download of a software update) but i kept getting a cannot connect to any Dvr. I saw that both the Bolt and the Mini could be seen from my router.

TiVo support suggested I do a forced connection to the TiVo service in the Bolt, then unplug the mini for 15 seconds. It connected but wouldn't stream. The message on the screen suggested rebooting the Bolt so I did and it all worked.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
arewhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Hi,
Assuming you have tried the usual reboot everything, router Tivo, & Mini and you are certain the Mini is on the same account as the Roamio, and you are sick of trying things, try,
Settings > Help > Restart or Reset > Clear and Delete Everything.
I'm sure Mini is on the same account, the Mini will connect to the internet if I use Ethernet and as I indicated the Mini has no problem connecting to the Roamio to grab a tuner or play a previously recorded program. I've have rebooted everything on multiple occasions but I have not tried a clear and delete. It's worth a try

Old 01-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
snerd

Did you remember to change the network settings on the Mini to "Connect using MoCA"?

snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
arewhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerd View Post
Did you remember to change the network settings on the Mini to "Connect using MoCA"?
Most definitely, the Mini shows MoCA as being up, it connects to my DVRs and considering that there is no Ethernet cable connected to the Mini, I think it's safe to assume that I'm connecting via MoCA

Old 01-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
arewhy

I'm beginning to think the issue is with the Mini itself. I tried the clear an delete and had the same results. It gets an IP address but will not connect to the internet. So just for the heck of it, I changed my Premiere to connect via MoCA and it works like a champ. It sees the Roamio and can connect to the internet. One think I did notice is that the Premiere uses the same MAC regardless of method of connection (MoCA or Ethernet). The Mini on the other hand uses a different MAC depending on the method. When it connects using Ethernet it uses xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:3B (which is the MAC listed on the box and the Mini itself). When it connects using MoCA, it uses xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:3C. Is this normal for the Mini an if so why isn't the MAC listed?

Old 01-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
jim1971

Quote:
I'm beginning to think the issue is with the Mini itself. I tried the clear an delete and had the same results. It gets an IP address but will not connect to the internet. So just for the heck of it, I changed my Premiere to connect via MoCA and it works like a champ. It sees the Roamio and can connect to the internet. One think I did notice is that the Premiere uses the same MAC regardless of method of connection (MoCA or Ethernet). The Mini on the other hand uses a different MAC depending on the method. When it connects using Ethernet it uses xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:3B (which is the MAC listed on the box and the Mini itself). When it connects using MoCA, it uses xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:3C. Is this normal for the Mini an if so why isn't the MAC listed?
the mac address is what's encoded in the hardware. It means there's 2 distinct adapters in the mini. Nice to know. Don't worry about your router confusing the two. The lease will expire on the first one within a short time ... matter of hours most likely.

jim1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #9
fcfc2

Quote:
To try and trouble shoot the minis MoCA, are there any other coax outlets, preferably closer or nearby the Premiere and try it there, you might even be able to test it on the same TV as the Premiere if it has multiple HDMI ports.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #10
snerd

Quote:
The MoCA adapter built into a TiVo/Mini has its own MAC address. When you access network statistics for the MoCA network, it should use the MAC address associated with the MoCA hardware.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
arewhy

It makes sense that it would have two different MACs and the network statistics for the MoCA network did reflect 3C MAC. I only asked because the Premiere only used a single MAC. Coincidently, I just received a second (old model) Mini, got it from woot (gotta love Sunday delivery!), and I connected it to the same outlet that I used for the Mini I'm having issues with. It connected to the MoCA network and is accessing the Internet with no issues. It even download a software update. I may give the other newer model one more shot but I'm thinking it's just a bad Mini!!

Old 01-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #12
snerd

Quote:
It makes sense that it would have two different MACs and the network statistics for the MoCA network did reflect 3C MAC. I only asked because the Premiere only used a single MAC. Coincidently, I just received a second (old model) Mini, got it from woot (gotta love Sunday delivery!), and I connected it to the same outlet that I used for the Mini I'm having issues with. It connected to the MoCA network and is accessing the Internet with no issues. It even download a software update. I may give the other newer model one more shot but I'm thinking it's just a bad Mini!!
Agreed, that's pretty strong evidence that the original mini is bad. Can't hurt to try it again, and maybe try it at the location where the Premiere works. Had you tried a full power-cycle rather than just restart from menu?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #13
arewhy

Yeah when I tried a clear and delete, I unplugged it for about 30 seconds or so before I plugged it back in and went through the guided setup. I will try the port the Premiere is plugged into before waving the white flag

Old 01-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #14
jim1971

Quote:
You state that you have 2 POE filters. 1 should be enough. Try removing the one in the middle. The POE, according to my understanding, is to prevent the neighbors from getting your tivo for free. The POE filters moca out of the system. POE stands for, I think, point of entry.

jim1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
BRiT wtfdotcom

You need Moca to be filtered out from any TAs (tuning adaptors). Also, some cable modems have issues with Moca signals as well, so they might need to be filtered out.

If my 8 way splitter amplifier didn't have a POE filter built in, I would have to put the POE filter on Leg 4 of 4 way splitter to prevent it from going to the cable modems and tuni NV adapter. My Moca friendly amplifier splitter is the Electroline 2900MMA.

Before I had Tivo, the cable modems were 2 lines off the amplifier and I did not have the 4 way splitter in the picture. The TA wasnt working and the modems were flaky when everything was run with Moca signals on their lines.

My setup is as follows and works great using Moca between all the Minis and the Roamio:

Outside Cable line into 4 way splitter.
Leg 1 of 4 way into Cable Modem
Leg 2 of 4 way into Voice Cable Modem only (no idea why they configured it with 2 modems but the tech didn't want to use combined Data and Voip Cable Modem way back when)
Leg 3 of 4 way into Tuning Adapter
Leg 4 of 4 way into Moca friendly 8 way Splitter Amplifier with integrated POE Moca Filter.
Leg 1 of 8 way to Roamio
Leg 2 of 8 way to Mini 1
Leg 3 of 8 way to Mini 2
Leg 4 of 8 way to Mini 3
Leg 5 of 8 way to Mini 4.
Leg 6 of 8 way capped.
Leg 7 of 8 way capped.
Leg 8 of 8 way capped.

BRiT wtfdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #16
snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1971 View Post
You state that you have 2 POE filters. 1 should be enough. Try removing the one in the middle. The POE, according to my understanding, is to prevent the neighbors from getting your tivo for free. The POE filters moca out of the system. POE stands for, I think, point of entry.
Nonsense. The second PoE is required because many tuning adapters become disabled in the presence of MoCA signals.

MoCA filters perform a dual function. One function is to block MoCA signals from going out of your house. The other function is to reflect MoCA signals back into your house to boost the strength of the MoCA signals.

You are right that PoE stands for "point of entry". In a completely different context, PoE also stands for "power over ethernet".

Old 01-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
arewhy

With regards to the POE filters, I erred on the side of caution based on the various MoCA related threads I put POE filters where the cable enters the house, on both my Tuning Adapters, and on my cable modem. In the case of the tuning adapters, I added a splitter and ran one coax to the tuning adapter and the other directly into the Tivo. Currently I have three MoCA nodes all with 250 or higher PHY rates. So in my mind MoCA has been a complete success with the exception of, what I believe was, a faulty Mini. I should receive the replacement from Amazon today and will provide an update.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #18
arewhy

New Mini received and is up and running via MoCA. No issue connecting to Tivo service

Thanks For This Post: