TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
cmn135

Moca is creating its own network different from router

Hello everyone. First time poster. I just set up two mini's. My TiVo roamio is hooked up to Ethernet. I have a moca I purchased from TiVo hooked up between my coax in and the modem and then Ethernet to my router.

My LAN and everything on it is on a 192.168.xxx.xxx range. Including the Ethernet channel going to the moca. However...when I fire up the mini's both of them show a 172.27.xxx.xxx range. I have no idea how they are getting this. I did a factory reset to my moca. I've rebooted everything a dozen times. TiVo support so far hasn't a clue and I'm waiting on a more experienced consultant to call me back.

Just to test I moved them both into a different room where I could direct Ethernet connect and they both see the roamio fine that way. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmn135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Which model Roamio is it? 4 tuners or 6?

(Just to rule out the possible conflict of 2 moca networks if it's a 6-tuner box)

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
cmn135

It's a 4 tuner. Could there be something wrong with the moca itself? I understand networking fairly well. It's getting a 192 from the router. So it should create a 192 subnet should it not?

Old 01-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmn135 View Post
Hello everyone. First time poster. I just set up two mini's. My TiVo roamio is hooked up to Ethernet. I have a moca I purchased from TiVo hooked up between my coax in and the modem and then Ethernet to my router.

My LAN and everything on it is on a 192.168.xxx.xxx range. Including the Ethernet channel going to the moca. However...when I fire up the mini's both of them show a 172.27.xxx.xxx range. I have no idea how they are getting this. I did a factory reset to my moca. I've rebooted everything a dozen times. TiVo support so far hasn't a clue and I'm waiting on a more experienced consultant to call me back.

Just to test I moved them both into a different room where I could direct Ethernet connect and they both see the roamio fine that way. Any ideas?

Hi,
Assuming "everything" included your router, I would temporarily try connecting via MoCA again but only if you can get the coax cables nearby, preferably on the same multiport splitter and see if the MoCA works that way. If not, try doing a clear and delete on the mini and do the setup again in the same location. If this also fails...the only thing I can think is that your adapter is defective or you have some really terrible coax/splitters.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
cmn135

The house is only 12 years old so the cable and all of the splitters are fairly new. They are all the 5-1000mhz splitters and seem to be of decent quality. I've never had any issues with HD or anything else signal wise.

I don't have a POE yet as I live in the sticks and my neighbors are over a hundred yards away on each side. But I ordered one regardless even though that wouldn't explain the different subnet.

I can't tell if the coax on the nearest mini is the same splitter or not. I can tell you I've tried the two mini's in 3 different rooms and they all get the same 172 range no matter how many times I restart or restore.

The interesting thing is the mini's get the 172 range. It's says they connect to the Internet. The first time i ran them and called TiVo they said they could 'see' it and the name I assigned and it probably just didn't get the media access key yet. However...they won't connect to any apps like Netflix. So maybe they aren't truly getting an internet signal. Or will they only do these functions while properly paired to a TiVo base unit?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

Did you do any configuration tweaking on the adapter? Generally it should just work out of the box without any intervention.

If this is a model with a "config" switch, that should be off.

It could be a bad adapter.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
cmn135

Thanks Jim. I did throw it to config and then back to run and a factory reset for good measure. Did nothing. Once everyone stops watching Netflix here for a few minutes I'll try one more time and take everything down again from the start.

I'm kind of annoyed TiVo hasn't called me back yet. Is this typical? What are the chances they will swap out the moca for me?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
cmn135

Well Jim this is where it gets strange. It did the software update on the moca and got to the last registration step where is tries to get the media access key and pair to the TiVo. It could never do this. I then called TiVo the first time and they said they could see it (and told me the name I assigned) but it could take up to 72 hours to get the key. They told me about having the main TiVo connect to service 4x then restarting it then connect again then restart the mini and that should work but it didn't.

That's when I ran a long Ethernet and it finished the pairing and worked great. I then put everything back on moca and it instantly no longer saw the main TiVo. It did get cable but that only lasted a few minutes and then stopped.

Now the mini does nothing. No apps, no live tv, nothing at all and just says it can't connect to the living room TiVo.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
fcfc2

Hi again,
There are some reports of minis having the default MoCA channel change to a fixed channel, not the default "auto" setting. You have to go in and manually change this back to "auto". Might be worth a check.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #10
cmn135

I got all excited because mine are both defaulted to channel 15. Unfortunately moving them to auto did no difference. I also did a full erase and factory reset of the mini after taking my whole network down for over a half hour and starting from scratch. Made no difference. They both still grab a 172 IP range. Guess I have to call TiVo back and I'm at their mercy. I hope they will send me another moca to try.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
cmn135

Ok I figured it out! The TiVo tech really stuck it out with me till i stumbled upon the answer but I wanted to share to close it out. I kept tracing my wires from the router to the moca. I eventually gave up and tried swapping the wire from one that was also a known working device. In doing that I noticed an identical colored wire coming from the network passthrough from my Ooma.

Long story short. The Ooma has a passthrough in case you fill all of your ports on your router. It's 'supposed' to be a dumb passthrough. Except apparently in my case it's not. It was creating the 172 network and passing it to the moca. Once j swapped the Ethernet I was good to go.

Thanks to everyone who tried helping!

Thanks For This Post: