TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
zornwil

Select which tuner on which to record?

We've had Tivo DVRs for some 15 years or such, but just got a Roamio with a 4-tuner. We were watching a channel when the warning came up that Tivo would, unless canceled, change a channel on another tuner to record something. Fine enough, of course.

However, Tivo selected a tuner on which we had paused the channel in order to have a buffer later. Which causes us to wonder, is there any way to instruct Tivo to use (or not) a particular tuner(s)?

I noted from reading in other threads we could simply record instead of pause, and that's fine, but a bit of a waste. It's an acceptable enough work around, but hoping there's a cleaner solution.

Thanks...
zornwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zornwil View Post
We've had Tivo DVRs for some 15 years or such, but just got a Roamio with a 4-tuner. We were watching a channel when the warning came up that Tivo would, unless canceled, change a channel on another tuner to record something. Fine enough, of course.

However, Tivo selected a tuner on which we had paused the channel in order to have a buffer later. Which causes us to wonder, is there any way to instruct Tivo to use (or not) a particular tuner(s)?

I noted from reading in other threads we could simply record instead of pause, and that's fine, but a bit of a waste. It's an acceptable enough work around, but hoping there's a cleaner solution.

Thanks...
You would think that a TiVo should be able to see if a tuner is paused or being used for chase play (by comparing playback pointers to write pointers or whatever). Obviously it would be better to retune first any tuners that aren't being used that way, but I suspect such a feature would be well down on the priority list for TiVo's programmers unless it just happens to be a very easy fix.

TiVos used to be able to split off and hold a buffer fragment until playback reached the end of it, even after the tuner was taken away for a scheduled recording, but that capability was apparently lost during some programming change (maybe to implement some other feature).

Last edited by L David Matheny : 01-04-2014 at 12:40 AM.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #3
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

AFAIK, the TiVo tries to use the non-recording tuner that was least recently accessed. But I don't know when it makes that decision, at the time of the notice or the time of the recording. If it's the latter, you may be able to affect the tuner choice by agreeing to the channel change, but then switching to the tuner you want saved and back again to your current tuner.

Note that this tuner switch has to occur directly; you can't use the "live-tv" cycling through all the tuners since then all the intermediate tuners are accessed and when you change back, the tuner you want saved may become the least recently accessed channel.. You have to hit right-arrow, down-arrow, right-arrow and choose the tuner you want (or if you remember the channel number, you can type it directly).
Old 01-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
TiVos used to be able to split off and hold a buffer fragment until playback reached the end of it, even after the tuner was taken away for a scheduled recording, but that capability was apparently lost during some programming change (maybe to implement some other feature).
Part of this feature has been reinstated. I have the Tivo record the ABC national news each night and then add 30 minutes to catch the local news that follows. I am sometimes watching the local news before the ABC national news. That buffer was lost in the past when the national news started up. Now that buffer stays and I can watch the remaining part of the local news while the national news records. I'd suggest not selecting a tuner that is paused to TiVo as an enhancement request.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote