TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
mcf57

Question Can a TiVo Premiere work with an S-card?

I have Series 3 (OLED) with 2 S-cable cards in it. I have a (refurb) 2-tuner Premiere on the way that will be replacing this Series 3. I went to my local Comcast office to get an M-card, but they don't have them right now and said to check back later.

Until I can get a hold of and obtain an M-card (either locally or over the phone with Comcast & mailed to me), can I just use one of my current S-cards in the 2-tuner Premiere? If possible, I also realize it would only have one tuner for now, but this future Premiere is not a main TiVo that willl be heavily used so I am not in a huge rush to get the M-card & can temporarily live with it being a one tuner DVR if needed (and if possible).

Basically just wondering about the functionality of an S-card in a 2-tuner Premiere.

Last edited by mcf57 : 01-06-2014 at 07:49 PM.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No, only M card will work in Premiere.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
JosephB

They are required to offer an M-card. Call them back and demand the appropriate card. If they don't file an FCC complaint.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
mcf57

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
They are required to offer an M-card. Call them back and demand the appropriate card. If they don't file an FCC complaint.

Yea, I am sure I can get an M-card from them through the mail somehow. I just prefer to get it from my local office since a certain rep there is able to keep putting my cable cards in their system as basically a charged of only $1.50/month. I now have about 5 cable cards on my account at only $1.50/month each.

Last time I filed an FCC complaint, I then got a call from a Comcast rep inquiring about my complaint. They looked at & examined my account and wound up "fixing" it and made the cable cards basically about $8/month each ($10 outlet fee minus $2 equipment credit). They said they would "reach out" to my local office to make sure they correctly bill cable cards. No thanks & I don't want to possibly go through that again as it could result in a potentially monthly hike of about $40.

Bottom line is I prefer to do business with them through my local office and not over the phone for obvious reasons
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
ajwees41

Quote:
where does say they are required to provide an Mcard? I think he was asking if the Scard will work until he can get the Mcard. Yes it will just would allow viewing on one tuner.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
where does say they are required to provide an Mcard? I think he was asking if the Scard will work until he can get the Mcard. Yes it will just would allow viewing on one tuner.
Link to the FCC requirements was provided by someone else, but an M-Card is required for a Series 4 or Series 5 TiVo. Only the Series 3 boxes can "downgrade" to single-tuner mode with a single S-card

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Link to the FCC requirements was provided by someone else, but an M-Card is required for a Series 4 or Series 5 TiVo. Only the Series 3 boxes can "downgrade" to single-tuner mode with a single S-card
And just to be picky, that's only the HD and HD XL, because the original S3 has to have one card for each tuner, so it's already downgraded right out of the box, permanently.

Fortunately it can use an M card in either slot or both if S cards aren't available, but the M's weren't all the way to market yet when the first S3 was being designed and it turned out something in their specs changed when it was too late for TiVo to accommodate the change and they can't use them in M mode to use just one for both tuners.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote