TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
sehale

New Premiere XL won't play my music or photos

All is setting up well with my Premiere XL and I can transfer videos from my PC to the Tivo over my wireless network with no problems. When I select Music and Photos, my PC is listed but when I select the music or photos, the TV screen blanks out for a second, then returns to the menu screen. I am using Tivo Desktop 2.8 and the Premiere is seen and is allowed access. I re-entered my Media Access Key, started and stopped the Tivo Server (using Bonjour) and deleted and re-added My Music and My Photos. Something seems to be stopping the transfer. Anything I am overlooking? Again, the PC videos transferred and played with no problems. My old Tivo HD had no problems showing the PC music and pictures.

Last edited by sehale : 04-02-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Tivo Desktop is 2.8 - not 2.7
sehale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
kiwiquest

I am having the same problem.....my computer show up under the menu, but when you click on it, it doesn't do anything
kiwiquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
innocentfreak

Try reentering you Media Access Key in TiVo Desktop. I believe this solved it for someone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Working OK for me with pyTivo...

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
brasscat

Also in addition to the media key there's some kind of remote access option I had to turn on as well. Don't know if that's related.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
sehale

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Try reentering you Media Access Key in TiVo Desktop. I believe this solved it for someone else.
I tried that (in original post). It is weird that I can play videos, and my PC is identified in the menu list with both music and photos (so clearly the PC can be seen) but still it won't show them.

I checked my Series 2 Tivo and that displays my photos and music fine. Through Tivo Desktop, I turned on Photo Publishing. On the Premiere I enabled Home Network Applications. That added my photos to the Showcases and Extras menu and I can see the photos now. However, even though my PC shows in the Music and Photos menu list, they still won't appear.

Last edited by sehale : 04-02-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
sehale

Maybe kiwiquest and I are the only ones with this problem but I still can't figure it out. I retired my old Series 2 today and started transferring shows from my Tivo HD to the new Premiere. The transfers work fine. The Tivo HD can still display My Music and My Photos but for some reason, the Premiere just won't do anything (except revert to the menu) when I select them from the list. I switched from Bonjour to Beacon, cleared caches, unplugged and re-started both Tivos, deselected then reselected Allow Transfers, etc. Nothing worked. Strange how they show up on the list as being available, and do play on the HD, but just refuse to work on the Premiere.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
MichaelJHuman

My Tivo Premier actually sees my iTunes! And I can play from it. Wow. I thought it could only see standard media servers. Very cool!
MichaelJHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
MichaelJHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
My Tivo Premier actually sees my iTunes! And I can play from it. Wow. I thought it could only see standard media servers. Very cool!
But it can't play AAC...sigh

And apparently, it's Tivo desktop, so it can't see iTunes directly. And I was so excited...*sigh*

Last edited by MichaelJHuman : 04-03-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
angel35

Thumbs up Help for Music and Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehale View Post
Maybe kiwiquest and I are the only ones with this problem but I still can't figure it out. I retired my old Series 2 today and started transferring shows from my Tivo HD to the new Premiere. The transfers work fine. The Tivo HD can still display My Music and My Photos but for some reason, the Premiere just won't do anything (except revert to the menu) when I select them from the list. I switched from Bonjour to Beacon, cleared caches, unplugged and re-started both Tivos, deselected then reselected Allow Transfers, etc. Nothing worked. Strange how they show up on the list as being available, and do play on the HD, but just refuse to work on the Premiere.
No i have the same problem I see My Music and Photos on my P.C. can not get to it.I hope some one can help.

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
MichaelJHuman

Try giving your Tivo a fixed IP address, rather than letting DHCP assign one. That's been known to work for other random problems ( for unknown reasons.)
Old 04-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
sehale

I switched from the new HD menu to the SD menu to see if that would make a difference. There I noticed the "Music, Photos & Showcases" option is not available in the SD menu. On page 6 of the owners manual it shows it as an option and it is discussed on page 66 of the manual. Re-booting the unit has not helped. Any ideas? Could this be the reason why I can't get songs in My Music and the pictures My Photos to display via the HD menu (though they are listed as an option)?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
kiwiquest

I still am having the same problem, i can mrv programs from my tivo hd to premiere, but music and photos, the computers show up, but it does not let you do anything
Old 04-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
sehale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiquest View Post
I still am having the same problem, i can mrv programs from my tivo hd to premiere, but music and photos, the computers show up, but it does not let you do anything
I contacted tech support today and confirmed that my system has all of the necessary updates but they had to escalate the problem. They told me they would contact me in a couple of days. KIWIQUEST - can you switch to the SD menu and see if the Music, Photos and Showcases option is available on that screen?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #15
kiwiquest

sehale, i switched to sd menu, and music, photos, and showcases is not an option on the screen.......hmmmmmm
Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
sehale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiquest View Post
sehale, i switched to sd menu, and music, photos, and showcases is not an option on the screen.......hmmmmmm
Thanks. Tivo support has me trying some things. I will let you know if it works but I am thinking an exchange will be in order. I think somehow our units failed to have a piece of software fully installed. Thanks again. I will post back in about a day.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #17
mdopps
TiVo is the Best!

sehale and kiwiquest, you're not the only two with this problem, my issues are exactly the same. pyTiVo doesn't work either. I'm thinking about calling tech support. Would you let me know what you find out from them?
mdopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #18
ascuser

I have the same issue. "Music and Photos" is not there at all in the SD menus. It does show up in the HD menus but I haven't actually tried it. Pytivo works fine though - it shows up in NPL and transfers as normal.
ascuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
wrf

Same issue here. Will call TIVO support today and post results.
wrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #20
kevini

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrf View Post
Same issue here. Will call TIVO support today and post results.
I called TiVo last night, they said the option was not enabled and the next connection to the service would fix it. It did not. I will call them again tonight....
kevini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #21
sehale

I spent all last night and much of today changing the access privileges and Premiere name, forcing connections, re-starts, etc. Nothing helped. I called back tech support and was told that because my issue had already been escalated, I needed to wait for a response from the "team of experts working on the problem." I told the rep that others were having the same problem as me and since a menu item was completely missing from the list of options, something must be fundamentally wrong with the initial software install. I told the rep my other two units (an HD and Series 2) worked fine so there was nothing wrong on my end. I suggested that perhaps I should exchange my Tivo and let them work on it there but the rep requested that I wait to hear back from Tivo by Friday and he would note that I had called again. I will extend that courtesy.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #22
wrf

Tivo support acknowleged the problem and said a software update was being worked. They suggested potential work aournd. Power down, unplug the network, power up, plug network back in, force a connection to Tivo and hope for the best. I did all of that, but its still broken.
wrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 AM   #23
mdopps
TiVo is the Best!

Quote:
Tivo support acknowleged the problem and said a software update was being worked. They suggested potential work aournd. Power down, unplug the network, power up, plug network back in, force a connection to Tivo and hope for the best. I did all of that, but its still broken.
Hope for the best is right. I tried this just for grins and it did nothing for me either. I hope they fix this issue as well as many other issues in the next update, which hopefully is soon. Until then, I will use the classic TiVo menus and not the "HD" menus.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #24
angel35

Question Service call

Quote:
I was told the same thing. Yes they say working on it We should get it over the tivo service call??? we will see

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #25
Goober96

I'm having the same issue. I can access the computer in the Now Playing list and even under Showcases & extras the pics will work, but if I try under Music and Photos, it flashes for an instant and then back to the menu. I, too, do not have the option in the SD menus. Hopefully the new update witll come soon.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #26
sehale

I just received a phone call from Tivo. They said they pushed a software update down to me. The rep very patiently waited while I forced a connection and sure enough, my music and photos now work through the HD menu and the Showcases... line item in the SD menu is there and works!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #27
Goober96

So I assume we will all be getting that software update soon.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #28
sehale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
So I assume we will all be getting that software update soon.
I don't see that you had called tech support in your posts but if you haven't, it might be a good idea to call and have them identify your unit so they can push it out directly to you.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #29
Terbor

Having pretty much the same issue as everyone else. No Music and Photos option in the SDUI, screen blanks and then returns to the menu when selecting Music or Photos in the HDUI.

Hoping the update sehale received gets pushed to everyone else soon. Don't really have time to call tech support.
Terbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #30
mdopps
TiVo is the Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbor View Post
Having pretty much the same issue as everyone else. No Music and Photos option in the SDUI, screen blanks and then returns to the menu when selecting Music or Photos in the HDUI.

Hoping the update sehale received gets pushed to everyone else soon. Don't really have time to call tech support.
Got off the phone with TiVo tech support today. Here's what I found out. The update that Sehale received is not a software update but a permissions update. For some reason, some TiVo Premiere's were not automatically given the permission to play music or view photos over the home network. The agent told me that within 5-7 business days I will get the permissions added to my account, but that it needs to be done by level 2 support. He said I may get a call when it is complete or I may not, he said just force a connection to the TiVo server every day or two and see if it works. Once the permission is added he said I should have access to music and photos from my network. So, I suggest that everyone who is having this problem call TiVo tech support and mention that it's a permissions issue with music and photos and needs to be added to your TiVo. Sounds like this is not an automatic update unless they get numerous amounts of phone calls with the same problem. Hope this helps.