TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
tazzmission

Removing FIOS router for my own Moca question

I have Fios right now. I have a Roamio Pro and two TiVo Mini's connected via Moca. I currently use the Verizon router. I want to get rid of it and use my own Asus router. If I call Verizon to have them change my ONT's connection to the router from coax to ethernet will I then loose my Moca network? I assume I will. I will also need to have Verizon break my routers DHCP lease to allow the use of my Asus router. If that is the case, can't I just run an ethernet cable to my roamio and plug that into my Asus router to create a new Moca network? Is there any other equipment that I would need? Is this correct or am I missing something?

Last edited by tazzmission : 01-07-2014 at 02:28 PM.
tazzmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Time_Lord

I am doing this today...the actiontec router is in the basement turned off

Handoff from the ONT to my router is via Ethernet, on the private side of my router I have among other various network devices, a Premier and a Roamio connected via ethernet. I then enabled the MoCA bridge on the Roamio to feed the network to the verizon cablebox, this can just as easily be a TiVO mini, or any other MoCa device.

Just make sure you only have 1 device working as a MoCa bridge or you will have issues.

with regards to your IP lease you can have Verizon release it or simply wait about an hour and it'll release on its own.

-TL
Time_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
I then enabled the MoCA bridge on the Roamio to feed the network to the verizon cablebox, this can just as easily be a TiVO mini, or any other MoCa device.
-TL
Just to clarify, the Mini will not bridge Ethernet to MoCA. To create a MoCA network using only Tivo's you must use a Roamio Plus/Pro or a Premiere 4/XL4 to bridge Ethernet to MoCA when connected directly to your router via Ethernet.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
vinsuz

Here's a variation on the original post: my ONT is outside, so running a CAT-5 to my as yet to be purchased Wireless AC Gigabit router is problematic. Is there still a way to use the coax to the Actiontec as a MoCA to Ethernet bridge to my own router?

Last edited by vinsuz : 01-08-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Typo
vinsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsuz View Post
Here's a variation on the original post: my ONT is outside, so running a CAT-5 to my as yet to be purchased Wireless AC Gigabit router is problematic. Is there still a way to use the coax to the Actiontec as a MoCA to Ethernet bridge to my own router?
What features are you planning to use on the Wireless AC Gigabit router? If you only want the Gigabit switch and the Wireless AC, just set it up in AP mode and connect it to your existing network. Done. No need to have it be the central router/firewall with NAT etc, if your current router does those fine and meets your current broadband rate.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
vinsuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
...just set it up in AP mode and connect it to your existing network. Done.
That's probably what I'll end up doing, but I'm looking at the Netgear Nighthawk, which has some nice features like an FTP site, VPN, and parental controls. What I don't know is whether those features are still available if the router is only setup as an AP. Although it's really nothing I can't live without (I'm sure the Actiontec has some sort of parental controls too). And considering I won't have to deal with switching between routers if there's ever a problem where I need to contact Verizon....
vinsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:28 AM   #7
biosehnsucht

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsuz View Post
I'm actually doing this in reverse - MoCA to the living room (because I haven't gotten around to dropping ethernet in all the walls yet) from my Actiontec, goes into the Premeire XL4, and then ethernet from Premeire to a switch which everything else is plugged into (Xboxen, BD/HD/etc players, ...)

I was using a terrible old WRT54G w/ DDWRT to wifi bridge but the reception in the entertainment center was garbage and it kept dropping out. Then I remembered that "wait, doesn't this Tivo have MoCA? I wonder...". Bam, problem solved.
biosehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote