TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Manc76

Question New Roamio owner, a few basic questions RE remote & caring for equipment

Sorry if any of these are dumb questions, but I tried to look for answers in the literature that came with the DVR and couldn't find anything. Mine is the standard Roamio, receiving TV signal via HD antenna. Would really appreciate any input on these:

1. Is there a way to easily and quickly put the Tivo into standby mode or otherwise switch it off at the end of the evening? Right now, the only way I can see is to press the Tivo button, then go into various settings menus then clicking on "standby" option... I feel like there is something obvious that I am missing... the remote only has a "TV power" on/off button as far as I can tell

2. How do I program the remote to control my TV's power off/volume control etc?

3. Is there a way to select a few favorite channels and somehow program the remote to quickly access these?

4. This one is more because I guess I am kind of obsessive about taking care of my electronic equipment and making it last as long as possible to get the most out of my investment (I paid for Lifetime service and hope to get at least a couple years out of it without problem); I've noticed that even when the Roamio is in standby it still makes noise and generates heat, at least more so than my Direct TV DVR which I am replacing with the Tivo). Is it better to switch the Tivo off by removing the outlet plug from time to time to give it a "rest"? Also should I use a dust cover when the DVR for a little more protection? (or is that a bad idea if the machine is constantly running and slightly warm, as mine seems to be.)

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Last edited by Manc76 : 12-30-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Manc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

All standby does is shut off the video output and nothing else. If it was to be turned off, it will not record at all. Tivo will never shut off completely.

There are instructions lin the Tivo menu on how to program the remote, the codes are listed there also. Power, vol +/-, and mute are the only buttons it will program.

You can set favorite channels in the channels list with a , when done, go to LIVE TV and press GUIDE then press A for options, go down to channels, use left/right arrow to set to FAVORITES, back up to Done.

I would not recommend any kind of cover as it needs air to keep cool, heat would kill it as it would in a computer.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Manc76

Thank you very much for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
All standby does is shut off the video output and nothing else. If it was to be turned off, it will not record at all. Tivo will never shut off completely.

So basically, the standby mode is just for appearance and putting it on standby would be no different from I just left the machine on with green light showing all the time? I shouldn't be concerned about my Tivo wearing out even though it's always basically on and running?

I am not an expert on DVR's so again, apologies for any dumb questions.
Manc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
BobbyWDC

I've owned different TiVos going back ten years. The number one thing you can do to keep a TiVo working smoothly is to connect it to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) with battery backup. Since the hard drive is always on, if you plug it directly into your wall, or to a simple powerstrip, it will be subject to the whims of the common power fluctuations that may be occurring every day in your house or apartment. Even if you don't see lights dimming, these are going on. A UPS with surge protection and battery backup will smooth all those out, and give the hard drive a much, much longer life than it might have otherwise.
BobbyWDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
skid71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyWDC View Post
I've owned different TiVos going back ten years. The number one thing you can do to keep a TiVo working smoothly is to connect it to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) with battery backup. Since the hard drive is always on, if you plug it directly into your wall, or to a simple powerstrip, it will be subject to the whims of the common power fluctuations that may be occurring every day in your house or apartment. Even if you don't see lights dimming, these are going on. A UPS with surge protection and battery backup will smooth all those out, and give the hard drive a much, much longer life than it might have otherwise.
Would you be willing to suggest a UPS that has battery backup capability? I've never owned a UPS but think that it would be a good investment for our Roamio.

Thank you
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyWDC View Post
Yes. Yes. Yes. My SVR-3000 is still going after having lived 10 years on an UPS. You don't even need an expensive one. Just one that can handle a minute or two will do wonders.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
dmaneyapanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manc76 View Post
So basically, the standby mode is just for appearance and putting it on standby would be no different from I just left the machine on with green light showing all the time? I shouldn't be concerned about my Tivo wearing out even though it's always basically on and running?
There is a bit of a holy war between people who tell you that the best possible thing is to let it run 24x7 and people who believe turning it off overnight is best, so you may not get perfect consensus. But I think it is fair to say that TiVo certainly designed it to run 24x7, and you should feel fine leaving it that way.

As just one data point, I've owned TiVos of one type or another since 1999, and not once did I ever regularly unplug any of them, and not one of them ever had any sort of wear-related hardware problem.
dmaneyapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
eric102

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid71 View Post
Would you be willing to suggest a UPS that has battery backup capability? I've never owned a UPS but think that it would be a good investment for our Roamio.

Thank you
The APC Back-UPS® NS 600VA often goes on sale for $35-$40 at Staples, it will run a Tivo for quite a while if the power goes out. Mine has clicked on several times in the last few months when the lights dimmed in the house and kept the Tivo from rebooting so its very quick to switch over to backup.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manc76 View Post
Thank you very much for the reply.

I am not an expert on DVR's so again, apologies for any dumb questions.
Standby is not just "appearance." Standby mode is critical to those using automated switching. It also helps panel lights stay bright and fresh longer.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote