TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
RonH

Roamio HD upgrade bonus I didn't expect

So TiVo scores a sale when I find out here how simple they made the upgrade process for the Roamio. In fact, as soon as another sale comes up, I'm getting another one.

I ran through a complete setup with the unit and used it for a few days. Part of that setup updated the TiVo software. What I did not realize is that apparently the updated software was placed in flash memory - not just on the factory HD. Today when I dropped in the 3TB drive it went through guided setup and was done.

I was expecting that with the new HD it would have to download (again) the "current" software.

This really is too good to be true.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
So TiVo scores a sale when I find out here how simple they made the upgrade process for the Roamio. In fact, as soon as another sale comes up, I'm getting another one.

I ran through a complete setup with the unit and used it for a few days. Part of that setup updated the TiVo software. What I did not realize is that apparently the updated software was placed in flash memory - not just on the factory HD. Today when I dropped in the 3TB drive it went through guided setup and was done.

I was expecting that with the new HD it would have to download (again) the "current" software.

This really is too good to be true.
I can't say for 100% certainty but I think there is a base image of the software on flash memory and when you drop in a new HD it will eventually upgrade with a newer version at some point soon.
Have you checked via the system info screen to see if you have the latest?
If not, check it and if it's not the latest, force a connection.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Would it be worth the time to let my Roamio basic setup and run before taking the regular drive out before I replace the 500gb drive with a new 3tb drive just so both flash and both drives are updated?

I haven't received my Roamio yet (don't even think it's shipped yet) but my 3tb drive will be here in a couple days.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
RonH

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
Have you checked via the system info screen to see if you have the latest?
If not, check it and if it's not the latest, force a connection.
Yes, it has the latest. But the point I was making is that the latest is apparently stored on the motherboard - and perhaps the HD too.

During the out of the box setup, I eventually got to the screen that clearly stated a service update was available and would be installed.

Two days later, dropping in a brand new 3TB drive, I never encountered the 'service update' screen during guided setup but I still have the latest software.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
RonH

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Would it be worth the time to let my Roamio basic setup and run before taking the regular drive out before I replace the 500gb drive with a new 3tb drive just so both flash and both drives are updated?
There are a few discussions here on that topic. I think it's mostly personal preference. I didn't care to capture the factory drive image - in the past I might have. I just wanted to make sure the box worked before opening it up.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
ggieseke

On Roamios, the OS is never stored on the drive. The Bootstrap, Kernel and Root partitions on the hard drive are just empty 4K placeholders.

The swap, /var and SQLite partitions are on the disk along with all of the MFS stuff. IMO it's a beautiful design.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
gkottner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post

I haven't received my Roamio yet (don't even think it's shipped yet) but my 3tb drive will be here in a couple days.
I let my basic run for a week before I upgraded. Just to make sure all was working. I did have a TivoHD to record the shows I wanted to save. Whole upgrade process took under an hour with the 2 hardest steps being taking off the cover and then putting back the cover. After you take out the screws on the back, slightly flex the cover and it should release the first set of tabs. Then if the second set of tabs don't easily release, slowly slide a regular kitchen knife under the center of the cover and the second set of tabs should release. The third set of tabs should then easily release. Have fun upgrading!
gkottner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkottner View Post
I let my basic run for a week before I upgraded. Just to make sure all was working. I did have a TivoHD to record the shows I wanted to save. Whole upgrade process took under an hour with the 2 hardest steps being taking off the cover and then putting back the cover. After you take out the screws on the back, slightly flex the cover and it should release the first set of tabs. Then if the second set of tabs don't easily release, slowly slide a regular kitchen knife under the center of the cover and the second set of tabs should release. The third set of tabs should then easily release. Have fun upgrading!
Thanks!

I was looking forward to getting mine today but I'm getting msgs for ups indicating it's all delayed due to weather so I will have to wait a day I guess.
TiVo Premiere

Old 02-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

HD upgraded worked just like the OP described in my Roamio basic, I used the original drive to do the initial setup were it needed to do a update then later I put the larger drive in, that update wasn't necessary afterwards. Of course I had to re-do the the guided setup with new drive but it all went smooth.

The updates from the Tivo mother ship must be stored in nonviolable ram which maintains the base software. Since the box was new I never had to opportunity to see what the factory new software was but would that be the fall of 2013 update I presume? Seems odd that a new Roamio would need a software update unless the boxes are old inventory?

I'm going to hang onto the factory drive until the Roamio's warranty expires and decide what do with it afterwards. My Premier could use it but if I go to the trouble of upgrading it I might as well use something bigger than 500gb.

Thanks for the upgrade info detail!
TiVo Premiere