TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
KXH

Questions for return to Tivo

Hi, Long time lurker, then got rid of Tivo and now may come back but I just have a few questions I was hoping the community could answer.

If I have a Roamio Pro, and a Roamio Plus, and 2 mini's on the same network, Can the Roamio's view recordings off of each other as they are on the same nework? As for the Mini Tivo: can it be set up to just automatically go to Live TV so as to be grandma proof? Can the mini pick recordings off of either Roamio? Thanks to anyone who may know the answers.
KXH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Diana Collins

Yes, two TiVo DVRs on the same network can see each other and you can play recordings from either own (the "remote" DVR is listed on the My Shows list and selecting it gives you the list from the remote DVR).

Minis are "assigned" to a particular DVR, so playing a recording is just like it is at the DVR itself. Your local list is the assigned DVR's, but you can select the other DVR as well.

I know no way to get a Mini to automatically start live TV. After a period of inactivity the tuner becomes available for other uses, so you have to "reclaim" it somehow. The only way to do that, AFAIK, is to select "Watch Live TV" from the menu.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

When you have more than one tivo, the other unit(s) show up at the bottom of your list of shows... Just click it, and the other units 'now playing' pops up, and then just hit play on your show to view it. Trick play, as in Ff, rew, 30 second skip, etc function as slickly as when viewing off the 'local' box. Also depending on your cable providers use of the 'copy bit', you can copy shows from one tivo to the other vs just a streaming play. Some companies don't use the copy bit, some use it just on premium channels, some could even use it on all channels. I happen to know comcast well, and they generally only block the premium channels: hbo, etc from being copied.

When on a mini, the 'now playing' list is the one from the box it is paired with, and it works the same way.... Just click the other full blown tivo in the list to view its shows.

It will not "automatically" go to live tv, as they borrow one of the tuners dynamically from the host/paired dvr, and after a specific time-out, the tuner is released back to the host tivo. It IS just one button press on the remote to access live tv.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Argh, Diana was quicker on the draw! Lol
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
KXH

Thank you both so much!
KXH is offline   Reply With Quote