TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
web1b

Roamio Keeps Losing Audio

I have had a Roamio for about a month and twice in the last 2 or 3 weeks, I have turned on the TV/receiver and there is no sound coming from the speakers.
I tried restarting the receiver, switching back and forth between Dolby and PCM on the Tivo and still no sound.
The first time it happened I unplugged the Tivo and restarted it and that fixed it. This time I tried putting the Tivo in standby and the switching back to to live TV and the sound came back.
I don't want to have to keep doing that every few weeks. How can this be permanently fixed?
web1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b View Post
I have had a Roamio for about a month and twice in the last 2 or 3 weeks, I have turned on the TV/receiver and there is no sound coming from the speakers.
I tried restarting the receiver, switching back and forth between Dolby and PCM on the Tivo and still no sound.
The first time it happened I unplugged the Tivo and restarted it and that fixed it. This time I tried putting the Tivo in standby and the switching back to to live TV and the sound came back.
I don't want to have to keep doing that every few weeks. How can this be permanently fixed?
I use the optical cable feed to my HDTV than off to my surround sound system, when I first turn on my system I sometime have to pause the live TV on the TiVo than hit play to start getting the sound, when watching a recorded program sometime the sound will cut out for 1/2 second or so than come back in, I don't know where the fault is, the optical sound switcher in the HDTV, the Roamio +, or my Meridian digital sound controller. I just live with the problem.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I use the optical cable feed to my HDTV than off to my surround sound system, when I first turn on my system I sometime have to pause the live TV on the TiVo than hit play to start getting the sound, when watching a recorded program sometime the sound will cut out for 1/2 second or so than come back in, I don't know where the fault is, the optical sound switcher in the HDTV, the Roamio +, or my Meridian digital sound controller. I just live with the problem.
I have optical too and experience the issue. Also, had it previously on HDMI. I normally swap tuners to get audio back, but pause / play is better. thanks
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
web1b

I'm not using any optical cables. It's just HDMI in to the receiver and then HDMI out to the TV set.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Floridaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I have the same issue as well. While watching live TV the sound will cut out occasionally for about a second. The problem isn't in the audio receiver as this issue has occurred while running sound through a different receiver. The problem is in the Tivo Roamio Pro box and something that Tivo needs to fix. They blame it on too strong of a signal strength but I have attenuated the signal and still have the same problem. Does someone have Tivo Magaret's email address as this should be reported directly to her.
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman View Post
I have the same issue as well. While watching live TV the sound will cut out occasionally for about a second. The problem isn't in the audio receiver as this issue has occurred while running sound through a different receiver. The problem is in the Tivo Roamio Pro box and something that Tivo needs to fix. They blame it on too strong of a signal strength but I have attenuated the signal and still have the same problem. Does someone have Tivo Magaret's email address as this should be reported directly to her.
Her E-Mail is Margret@tivo.com I hope your successful.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
web1b

This issue was never resolved for me.
I have only been using the Tivo every few weeks and almost every time I go to the TV after a few weeks of non-use, I turn on the TV and receiver and there is no sound through the Tivo again.
The only way I have found to get sound again is to unplug the Tivo from power, plug it back in and wait for it to boot up.
After the Tivo reboots, sound is back again.
Today I had the issue again and I had a message on the screen that said it was recently updated to the Summer 2014 update, so I assume that means I have the latest software and it doesn't fix the issue.

Has anyone found a solution?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Does this happen with DD audio, DD+ audio, PCM audio or all audio? I only have DD and DD+ coming out of my Roamios and I have not run across this issue before.(well I guess depending on the app it would also be pcm audio. So with all three audio formats it has worked fine for me while using three different receivers. Maybe there is some kind of incompatibility issue?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
web1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Does this happen with DD audio, DD+ audio, PCM audio or all audio? I only have DD and DD+ coming out of my Roamios and I have not run across this issue before.(well I guess depending on the app it would also be pcm audio. So with all three audio formats it has worked fine for me while using three different receivers. Maybe there is some kind of incompatibility issue?
It is Dobly Digital.
Switching to PCM doesn't fix it. The only fix I have found is unplugging the Tivo from power and plugging back in and then the audio works for that day.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
web1b

Same thing happened again today after not using the Tivo for a couple of months.
Just to make sure the issue wasn't with the receiver, I unplugged the HDMI cable from the receiver and plugged it directly into the TV set and I still only get video and no sound.
I unplugged the power from the Tivo and plugged it back in and the sound returned after the Tivo booted up.
Does anyone have any idea what would cause this to keep happening?
Otherwise, I will have to assume the device is defective.
The problem with this type of issue is that it is not easily repeatable, because it fixes itself when the power is reset. If the Tivo is shipped to be repaired, it isn't going to have the issue when it's powered up in the repair center.
Is there some kind of log that would show what is causing this issue?
Is there a way to reset the audio without having to unplug the receiver and mess up any recordings in progress?
Old 09-15-2014, 03:28 AM   #11
ac3243

Output format?

I had some luck by unchecking all the output formats under settings-video and only leaving 1080i or 1080p checked. When I had them all checked, it seemed to cause more audio problems and some delays when changing channels that are broadcast in different formats. Sometimes saw it changing inputs on the TV, so it seems to be HDMI-HDCP negotiation related to me. As soon as I removed as much of the changes as I could, things got better. Not perfect but better.
ac3243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 AM   #12
JWhites

I recommend checking if there are any firmware updates for your devices, as sometimes fixes are implemented for HDMI problems.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
web1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I recommend checking if there are any firmware updates for your devices, as sometimes fixes are implemented for HDMI problems.
Don't all the updates come automatically? I have received updates on this device without doing anything.
Also, if it was a firmware issue, wouldn't it be a much more widespread issue on this forum since thousands of people would have the same firmware until the update came out?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b View Post
Don't all the updates come automatically? I have received updates on this device without doing anything.
Also, if it was a firmware issue, wouldn't it be a much more widespread issue on this forum since thousands of people would have the same firmware until the update came out?
He wasn't referring to the TiVo software. See if there are any firmware updates for any of your other devices, presumably your TV and/or receiver for HDMI problems. But it's always a good idea to make sure all firmware is up-to-date in things like routers, etc.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
ac3243

Firmware up to date

All my gear has the newest firmware available. The soundbar(built-in amp) can not be updated so I'm at it's mercy. I've tried optical and HDMI(all the amp takes) with no change. My only choice remaining would be a cheater from monoprice that puts out a fixed hdmi profile and see if that works. Everything I can find points to flaws in the HDMI handshake system and this has been getting better as the HDMI standard is refined. Doesn't help older hardware that can't be updated though.

The older the HDMI gear, the more quirky interoperability is. Sometimes the only way to get some gear to reliably speak to each other was installation of a swtichbox or other device between them. I is getting better but lots of gear out there will be in the field for years to come with whatever quirks they were made with.
ac3243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
JWhites

Although most devices uses HDMI, like ac3243 said here are always slight compatibility issues across brands and chips. For example my Sony tv had a firmware update to fix a problem that would cause Cisco set top boxes to freeze and crash, my Toshiba tv sometimes has problems displaying an image during the initial reboot (before the flashing amber light) but when the resolution switches the first time it works again, and my Panasonic TV takes about a minute for the picture to display when turning on. All three have the audio dropout when going in and out of TiVo Central on Dolby Digital and PCM.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #17
web1b

I have an Onkyo HT-S3300 and I checked the Onkyo website and there is no update for this issue. The receiver is from 2011. I connect other HDMI devices to it with no sound issues (AppleTV, Roku, Chromecast). Only this Tivo Roamio has these issues.
I suppose I could try buying a new receiver, such as Onkyo TX-SR333 (2014 model) and see if it helps, but it seems like I should not have to since everything else works fine with it.
I could buy and new receiver and have the same issue (especially since as I said before, there was still no sound when I plugged the HDMI cable directly into the TV until I rebooted the Roamio).
Old 09-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #18
JWhites

Really sucks this is happening to you
Old 09-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #19
JANNINO

I just bought a Roamio Pro and I have the same sound issue as everyone else. When I rewind or fast forward, the sound will cut out for a 1/2 to 1 second. Very annoying. I bought this Tivo so I could get rid of the Tivo Stream I had which kept overheating. I should have fixed that problem and bought a Premiere XL4. I figured after about a year Tivo would work out all the kinks with Roamio, but no such luck.
JANNINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
elborak
Jack of Some Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNINO View Post
I just bought a Roamio Pro and I have the same sound issue as everyone else.
Hardly "everyone else". Some small minority have this problem.

I don't belittle the severity of the problem for someone experiencing it, but don't try to pump it up to be greater than it is to satisfy your frustration.
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #21
elborak
Jack of Some Trades

This thread is threatening to derail.

The original problem, as reported by the OP, is complete loss of sound that takes manual action to recover from (switch audio inputs, power cycle, etc.).

A few other people (originally Floridaman but now also JANNINO and nooneuknow) are reporting a separate issue of brief (a few seconds or less) sound dropouts. There is another thread for that issue (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=520867) and it would be helpful of people would post in the proper thread.
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote