TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
jap3

Seeking advice from Roamio owners

I'm a current owner of a Series 3 w/lifetime and thinking of taking the plunge with Roamio. I want the extra tuners and the ability to watch content on my iPad. Currently, I transfer from and to my Tivo using pyTivoX and iTivo. If there's a conflict, I go elsewhere for the content, which is maybe a few times a month.

I love my S3. It functions flawlessly and I've been using it for 5 years now. One thing that I love about it is the front display. I like the time and the display showing what's recording.

Are there any new owners out there coming from an old platform that can give advice on whether or not your ownership and features of the Roamio has blown the old platform out of the water?

Thanks for any insight you may offer.
jap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
laria
Librocubicularist

We just upgraded from S3's last week. The new box is pretty awesome. I do miss the clock, although I could never read what it was recording. I find myself still glancing for the clock, though. Having a modern device and 6 tuners way outweighs the clock, though, IMO.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
jap3

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Having a modern device and 6 tuners way outweighs the clock, though, IMO.
Thanks! I don't know why I'm hung up on the clock and display. I thought it was a great design. I don't know why they changed it.

I've read there is a significant increase in menu speed, etc. Coming from an S3, do you really notice it? Is it pretty impressive?
jap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
ADG
Allan

I have two S3's and added a Premier a couple of years ago. The one hesitation I had was the same as yours - the lack of the front display. Well, within a few days I didn't even notice it any longer. I've just added a Roamio. I'm guessing you'll feel the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap3 View Post
Thanks! I don't know why I'm hung up on the clock and display. I thought it was a great design. I don't know why they changed it.

I've read there is a significant increase in menu speed, etc. Coming from an S3, do you really notice it? Is it pretty impressive?
The speed difference is very noticeable. Not sorry I switched.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap3 View Post

It is pretty fast, and I love the HD menus.

Regarding the display, I think it was just another part that added cost and complication to the device. We actually did not have a display at all on one of ours for a long long time. We got them in 11/06 and that winter we had a power outage. They were both on a surge protector, but one of the displays was never quite right after the power flicker. The display gradually got dimmer and dimmer over a few weeks until it just stopped working entirely. I never bothered to get it fixed under warranty, but it seemed like maybe they were kind of a fragile part if a simple power outage while it was on surge protection killed it.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
cherry ghost

Use the SPS9S code to put a clock on the TV in the upper right corner
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Use the SPS9S code to put a clock on the TV in the upper right corner
For ease use that code when watching a recorded program.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
For ease use that code when watching a recorded program.
It's just as easy from live tv - you just need to start add one more "select" at the beginning (ssp9s)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote