TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
jmonk

Red face Will I lose all My Book AV Expander Tivo HD Shows moving to Romio

I have a Tivo HD and I'm considering upgrading to a basic Roamio (I have an HD antenna so I don't have another option). However, although I believe that my 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander is apparently supported does anyone know (or have experience) whether I'll lose all my recordings when I make the switch?
jmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

You can't move an expander from one Tivo to another and keep the recordings, they're wedded to the original unit.
You'll need to copy them from the old Tivo to the new, THEN move the expander which will be reformatted for the Roamio.

You would be better off just replacing the Roamio Basic HD with a 3TB before putting it in to service, easier and more reliable than an Expander.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
jmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
You can't move an expander from one Tivo to another and keep the recordings, they're wedded to the original unit.
You'll need to copy them from the old Tivo to the new, THEN move the expander which will be reformatted for the Roamio.

You would be better off just replacing the Roamio Basic HD with a 3TB before putting it in to service, easier and more reliable than an Expander.
Thanks for the feedback... A bit more information and some questions???

The idea of swapping out the hard drive is a good one, but the expander is paid for and I'll be getting a TIVO stream as well (a drawback to the HD antenna, but no cable with a huge monthly bill). I figure if the expander goes eventually, I will upgrade the Roamio hard drive at that time.

Now the questions...
  1. How do I determine which of my recordings are on the extender and which are on the HD drive?
  2. Once I identify which ones, how can I move them to the Roamio?
  3. Is there anyway to just watch the shows on the old TIVO and extender and start fresh with the roamio without getting another contract?

Old 12-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can copy all the recordings to the computer and then send it to the new box, but to copy from Tivo to Tivo, you would need both subscribed to Tivo Service.

The recordings are stored on both drives at the same time, parts on 1 and other parts on the other. Removing the Expandr will delete them and there is no way to tell which is on what drive.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 12-28-2013 at 03:06 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

What I would suggest, if you have enough storage on the computer...
Transfer all the shows you want to keep to the computer.
Get the Roamio and go through guided setup to get everything configured as to be ready for use.
Take original hard drive out and put it on the shelf (emergency backup).
Install 3TB drive and go through setup again.
Transfer shows back from computer to new Roamio.
Repurpose Tivo expander drive for extra storage on the computer.

From the stories I've read here, there is no way I would want an expander drive connected to the Tivo. If it ever fails, *poof*, your recordings are gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
What I would suggest, if you have enough storage on the computer...
Transfer all the shows you want to keep to the computer.
Get the Roamio and go through guided setup to get everything configured as to be ready for use.
Take original hard drive out and put it on the shelf (emergency backup).
Install 3TB drive and go through setup again.
Transfer shows back from computer to new Roamio.
Repurpose Tivo expander drive for extra storage on the computer.

From the stories I've read here, there is no way I would want an expander drive connected to the Tivo. If it ever fails, *poof*, your recordings are gone.
I am looking to do the same thing but because I have Time Warner Cable most, if not all, of my shows are copy-protected. I assume I am out of luck since I don't think those shows can be moved to a computer. If they were able to be I would go out and get a new Roamio today!!
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
I am looking to do the same thing but because I have Time Warner Cable most, if not all, of my shows are copy-protected. I assume I am out of luck since I don't think those shows can be moved to a computer. If they were able to be I would go out and get a new Roamio today!!
Unfortunately your assumption is correct, you're out of luck with TWC.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
jmonk

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions! I think I've got what I need to move forward with my upgrade.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
ggieseke

Just to confirm, you can watch the shows you have already recorded forever without a sub.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
unitron

If you do not have a lifetime sub on that HD (I'm assuming a TCD652160, although with the confusion TiVo themselves introduced into the naming conventions you may mean a TCD648250 instead), then leverage any purchase of a new TiVo into $99 lifetime on the S3.

Do not let them tell you "no", they've done it for too many others.

You may have to keep calling until you get a CSR who will co-operate, but make them understand no purchase of new TiVo without the deal, and that without the deal you're going to quit montly payments on the S3.

Then you can watch what's on the S3 at your convenience, and you'll have given it some resale value.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote