TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
heelsbigc

Macroblocking on new roamio

Installed a basic Roamio this week. I'm on fios in Richmond va. The three main local channels 506/508/512 are macro blocking every few seconds. It ranges from mild to severe. Every other channel is perfect.

So far:

The signal strength seemed low at 70 so I installed a +15 db signal amp but it didn't help.

I've changed cables. no help

I've changed the box to another outlet and the macro blocking is still there.

SNR is 27

Also I've got a roamio plus that's been installed since early Sept with no problems.

Any ideas what's going on? Thanks.

EDIT:

Problem solved Verizon replaced the ONT and everything works perfectly.

Last edited by heelsbigc : 01-07-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: problem solved
heelsbigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
worachj

I would suspect a bad signal splitter. I know you moved the bad TiVo to a different location, but have you swapped it with the one that works?

I have Comcast and had a similar problem of Macro blocking on a few channels. All of the bad channels were within the same frequency range of a bad filter/amp out on the line somewhere in the neighborhood. The cable company found and replaced the bad filter/amp and fixed my problems.

Since you have one good TiVo and bad TiVo I would try and identify the frequency range of your bad channels. Then make sure any signal splitters, filters or amps handle the frequency range of the bad channels.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
heelsbigc

I haven't tried the "bad" box on the "good" box's outlet as it's in a cabinet thats kind of a pain in the ass to access. I'm planning on doing that tomorrow if I can't come up with any other options today.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsbigc View Post
Installed a basic Roamio this week. I'm on fios in Richmond va. The three main local channels 506/508/512 are macro blocking every few seconds. It ranges from mild to severe. Every other channel is perfect.

So far:

The signal strength seemed low at 70 so I installed a +15 db signal amp but it didn't help.

I've changed cables. no help

I've changed the box to another outlet and the macro blocking is still there.

SNR is 27

Also I've got a roamio plus that's been installed since early Sept with no problems.

Any ideas what's going on? Thanks.

You say main local channels.

Are you getting them over the fios and not over the air?

Have you tried re-Guided Setup-ing that entry level Roamio for OTA and slapping some rabbit ears on it to see how those channels behave before the cable co. gets hold of them?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
heelsbigc

I recorded some stuff tonight on these three channels on the "good" tivo so I could give it a close look. There is macro blocking on those channels as well, just very mild. Most of the time if I'm watching something from that tivo it's in a small pip window with my computer or playstation on the larger screen. So this is new, or its been going on and its been so mild I haven't noticed it.

I guess I'll need to call Verizon and have a tech come out and troubleshoot.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by heelsbigc : 12-31-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:47 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Any other ideas?
Well, your username makes me think you're living one state too far north.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
heelsbigc

Swapped outlets for the two boxes.

At the time of the test t here is no macro blocking on the roamio plus in either location.

There is macro blocking on the new basic roamio in both locations.

Signal comes in from the ont on coax to an 8 way splitter, then to the various rooms. I changed that splitter out with another with no change.

There is macro blocking on 506/508/511/512/513 All of those are verizon's hd feeds of our local broadcast channels. 501 (the channel before the ones with problems) and 523 ( the channel after) show no problems.

On the existing Roamio:

I brought back some recordings made on those channels. Recordings up till Dec 21 show no macro blocking. New roamio was installed Dec 25. Recordings on or after the 25 show intermittent macro blocking. WTF?

Looks like the signal strength on all channels on both Roamios range from 67-75. That's low right?

I unpacked the verizon dvr that was ready to go back and hooked it up. No macro blocking.

Apparently the issues are worse before 10 in the morning, progressively lessen, then start to get bad again after 10 at night. WTF?

This has to be signal strength right? The roamio plus and the verizon box are dealing with the lower signal better than the basic roamio?

Is there any explanation why the new roamio's installation on the 25th would be jacking up the reception on the existing roamio?

Any need to try changing tivos or cable card?

Any other Ideas? Before I try to contact verizon to roll a truck (won't have time to do that until Monday)?

Should I post this in the Roamio section? This is driving me nuts.

Last edited by heelsbigc : 01-01-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
heelsbigc

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Well, your username makes me think you're living one state too far north.

Reported as non-helpful.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Swapped outlets for the two boxes.

At the time of the test t here is no macro blocking on the roamio plus in either location.

There is macro blocking on the new basic roamio in both locations.
For that I blame your new Roamio, at least to an extent, because the problem is following it.

Quote:

Signal comes in from the ont on coax to an 8 way splitter, then to the various rooms. I changed that splitter out with another with no change.

There is macro blocking on 506/508/511/512/513 All of those are verizon's hd feeds of our local broadcast channels. 501 (the channel before the ones with problems) and 523 ( the channel after) show no problems.

On the existing Roamio:

I brought back some recordings made on those channels. Recordings up till Dec 21 show no macro blocking. New roamio was installed Dec 25. Recordings on or after the 25 show intermittent macro blocking. WTF?

Looks like the signal strength on all channels on both Roamios range from 67-75. That's low right?

I unpacked the verizon dvr that was ready to go back and hooked it up. No macro blocking.

Apparently the issues are worse before 10 in the morning, progressively lessen, then start to get bad again after 10 at night. WTF?
I'm certain TiVo didn't spend extra money designing in a "work differently at different times of the day" timer circuit just to screw with people, so I'm assigning blame for that to something external to the new Roamio.

Sounds like it might be temperature related, and that something external to your house is working better when warmed.

A brick wall could take until 10AM to soak up enough sun to get warm enough to warm a cable or connection or splitter near it, and release stored heat after sundown until about 10PM, depending on your geographic location.

Or it could be further upstream than your house, which will make finding the problem a real bear.

Interesting that the time period is roughly equivalent to "retail hours", but that may be merely coincidental.

Quote:

This has to be signal strength right? The roamio plus and the verizon box are dealing with the lower signal better than the basic roamio?

Is there any explanation why the new roamio's installation on the 25th would be jacking up the reception on the existing roamio?

Any need to try changing tivos or cable card?

Any other Ideas? Before I try to contact verizon to roll a truck (won't have time to do that until Monday)?

Should I post this in the Roamio section? This is driving me nuts.
Sounds like connecting the new Roamio dragged down the overall signal strength, and with an 8 port splitter you probably don't have a lot to spare.

If you aren't doing it already, terminate any unused cable runs from that splitter with those little 75 Ohm passive loads to reduce out-of-phase reflections from the open end of a line.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
heelsbigc

Thanks. I hadn't thought about terminating the unused runs. There are three unused ports. I might also try ordering a 5 port splitter and see if that makes a difference.

The ont is on a brick wall so you might be on to something with the temperature effecting the signal shenanigans.

If Verizon can't do anything for me, Im thinking about exchanging the roamio for another plus.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:50 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Thanks. I hadn't thought about terminating the unused runs. There are three unused ports. I might also try ordering a 5 port splitter and see if that makes a difference.

The ont is on a brick wall so you might be on to something with the temperature effecting the signal shenanigans.

If Verizon can't do anything for me, Im thinking about exchanging the roamio for another plus.
You could also try an inline booster amp ahead of that splitter, although I don't know enough about your setup to know if it needs to pass signals back up the line as well.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
heelsbigc

Ok. I tried a booster ahead of the splitter. No change. I tried a 4 way "lossless" splitter. No change. Verizon is coming tomorrow to investigate.

Verizon replaced the ONT. Everything works great now. Thanks for the help troubleshooting!

Last edited by heelsbigc : 01-07-2014 at 03:15 PM.