TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
jim-j

Quality difference between Amazon stream and download?

Is there a quality difference between streaming an Amazon show and downloading it to my Tivo Roamio Basic? For example, when I rent an Amazon movie I can either stream it immediately to my Blu-Ray player or I can choose to download it to my Tivo.

Is there any advantage to downloading a movie to my Tivo instead of just streaming it to my Blu-Ray player? The only advantage to downloading I can think of is that once its downloaded then I assume I don't need to worry about any Internet issues.

The downside to downloading is that it seems to introduce about a 20 minute delay before I can start watching vs watching immediately if I stream to my Blu-Ray player.
jim-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Amazon streaming varies the bit rate dynamically based on some assessment their system does on the connection speed The maximum bit rate for HD videos is 2.5 Mbps. On average I believe you'll get better quality with downloads.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I've used both and have never seen a difference in quality. Sometimes the first few seconds of a stream is choppy but that straightens out very quickly.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
rainwater

Are Amazon downloads for TiVo mpeg-2? I've seen some bad encodes on many rentals. I think because every other Amazon client streams mpeg-4, there is better quality assurance on those streams. Since TiVo is the only client that supports downloads, they have to use special encoding just for that platform.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
elwaylite

I use the tv show downloads 8-10 times a week depending on how busy a week it is. Stuff like Walking Dead, etc... are 1080p/24 files and the PQ is outstanding. It looks better than anything I can do streaming, and especially the HDTV version on Directv. I love it.

I have never seen any Amazon streaming look that good, but I only have a 6mbps connection. I like the downloads because I buy the series pass for a show to get the discount, and it auto downloads to the tivo the next morning when Amazon puts it up. This way its in my playlist in order with the other shows I recorded off antenna. Very convenient.
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote