TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Rob Dawn

Hawaii Five-O

My wife and I wonder why Steve McGarret occasionally wears his white Navy uniform. We assume he is retired from the Navy so why still wear the uniform? Also, his girlfriend never wears her uniform now that she is retired.

Anyone know?
PS3 for Blu-ray & gaming
Rob Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
pendragn

I think he's still active Navy, he's just attached to the 5-0 task force. The military lends active duty personnel to civilian law enforcement all the time. I was one for eight months.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
tiassa
Me --Avatar

I was going to go the other way, although pendragn is a much better source than I. I figure that he chooses to wear his dress whites in situations where he can (like the Pearl Harbor Memorial service in the most recent episode), but that he would be just as appropriate in a jacket and tie. My understanding is that honorably discharged servicemen (and women) can wear dress uniforms during "formal" military ceremonies.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
andyw715

Cause he's 5-oh. They can do anything.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dawn View Post
My wife and I wonder why Steve McGarret occasionally wears his white Navy uniform. We assume he is retired from the Navy so why still wear the uniform? Also, his girlfriend never wears her uniform now that she is retired.

Anyone know?
He's a reservist, not retired.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
pmyers

I have also found it strange that Steve does seem to always wear his dresses and she never does. I guess it makes sense now.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

The real reason is because Michelle Borth looks better out of uniform.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
I was going to go the other way, although pendragn is a much better source than I.
After I thought about this our situations were a little different, besides of course mine being real and his being fake.

I was a member of the Army National Guard that was put on active duty to augment civilian law enforcement. However, because of Posse Comitatus and because of wanting to avoid another Kent State type situation I was not allowed to carry a firearm. My duties were restricted to technical things. I couldn't arrest anybody, for instance.

So I couldn't do the things that McGarrett does. Though neither could he in real life.

tk

Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
DouglasPHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
The real reason is because Michelle Borth looks better out of uniform.
Michelle Borth looks better out of everything..
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
After I thought about this our situations were a little different, besides of course mine being real and his being fake.

I was a member of the Army National Guard that was put on active duty to augment civilian law enforcement. However, because of Posse Comitatus and because of wanting to avoid another Kent State type situation I was not allowed to carry a firearm. My duties were restricted to technical things. I couldn't arrest anybody, for instance.

So I couldn't do the things that McGarrett does. Though neither could he in real life.

tk

I believe that kaszeta is correct though when he says that McGarrett moved to reserve status when he accepted the Governor's offer so he's not on an official Navy assignment.
And the Governor deputized him so he has law enforcement powers.

Doesn't explain why half the non Military types refer to him as "Commander" though.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
Doggie Bear

Quote:

tk
The Posse Comitatus Act barred you from enforcing civilian law, which is why you couldn't make arrests or execute search warrants. But not letting you carry a firearm seems a bit of a reach. We can certainly think of reasons you might have needed a gun that have nothing to do with enforcing the law -- self-defense, for instance. No doubt it was seen as prudential....
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
But not letting you carry a firearm seems a bit of a reach. We can certainly think of reasons you might have needed a gun that have nothing to do with enforcing the law -- self-defense, for instance. No doubt it was seen as prudential....
That's the "Kent State" part of my explanation. The military doesn't want the "Active duty soldier kills American citizen" headline again.

tk

Old 12-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't even care why he wears his dress uniform. He just looks fantastic in it (although everything he wears and doesn't wear look fantastic too LOL). He is one seriously good-looking guy.

Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
That's the "Kent State" part of my explanation. The military doesn't want the "Active duty soldier kills American citizen" headline again.
I'd imagine it was only the "Kent State" scenario. If you were called up by the State Governor, Posse Comitatus does not apply to you. If you were called up by the President and Federalized, Posse Comitatus does apply.

Since you were backing up civilian LE, then likely you were called up by the Governor.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #15
Amnesia
The Question

Since this seems to be a generic H50 topic, anyone know the deal with why Grace Park has barely been on the show this season?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #16
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Since this seems to be a generic H50 topic, anyone know the deal with why Grace Park has barely been on the show this season?
http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/10/haw...race-park.html
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
Amnesia
The Question

Thanks
Old 12-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
laria
Librocubicularist

Whenever an actress is barely shown and/or only shot in camera angles from the chest up, you are pretty much guaranteed she is pregnant.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
Amnesia
The Question

I guess that also answers the question of why Marshall has barely been in this season of HIMYM---he's pregnant...
Old 12-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
Howie
Out of Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Whenever an actress is barely shown and/or only shot in camera angles from the chest up, you are pretty much guaranteed she is pregnant.
I was wondering what the deal was, but that never occurred to me. I know that Sarah Shahi was pregnant during the filming of the 2nd season of Life. She couldn't really give herself to the project, and that basically killed the series, as she was one of the 2 main characters. Hawaii 50 goes on I guess because there are several main characters that can make up for the loss. Life had the potential to be a great show.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I was wondering what the deal was, but that never occurred to me. I know that Sarah Shahi was pregnant during the filming of the 2nd season of Life. She couldn't really give herself to the project, and that basically killed the series, as she was one of the 2 main characters. Hawaii 50 goes on I guess because there are several main characters that can make up for the loss. Life had the potential to be a great show.
Although lots of fun to look at, I never got the impression that Sarah's character was an equal co-star, but rather that her story line was somewhat secondary, although tied to his via her father. The show wasn't so much about them as it was about him.

They could have filled time with stuff other than her story and still had a good show.

(Which is not to say I didn't welcome her character's presence and involvement)

I think it was the need to invest some intellect (and remember stuff from previous episodes) while watching the show that kept its ratings lower than they might have been (plus whatever competition the show had in its time slot).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote