TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
The TiVo Dude

The (not so) silent majority - Happy with TiVo

As we all typically post when we have an issue - and say nothing when everything works, I thought it might be worthwhile to say "I'm happy with TiVo."

In fact, *very* happy.

I just replaced 3 cable cards (in Premieres) with Minis. That will save me $45/month in outlet and cable card fees. WIN!

Plus I can sell the lifetime Premiere boxes for less than the cost of the lifetime Minis. WIN!

PLUS, I now get a single "Now Playing" list and a single Season Pass and a single To Do list. WIN!

So, better TV experience, money in my pocket and lower monthly cable bills.

...and I haven't even touched streaming and portability.

Anybody else really glad they have TiVo?

Last edited by The TiVo Dude : 12-27-2013 at 06:52 AM.
The TiVo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Irishb

Happy, Happy, Happy

Overall I really like my Roamio and Mini combo. I have not enjoyed a Tivo DVR this much since my old DirecTV Tivo. IMHO - Tivo has a hit with the Roamio. It does most everything right. I just wish that the Mini supported the ability to watch Amazon downloads from the Roamio. I know there is a work around, but native support would be nice.
Irishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
uw69

Best TiVo ever!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
mburnno

OK, so I am going to rain on your little parade a little here. I used to love Tivo until the Roamio's came out. It was better then the cable company's DVR and more cost savings. This all changed for me when the ugly Tivo Roamino laided an egg. At first, I was super excited that Tivo had finally came out with an integrated streamer and a faster processor to speed up the menus, then I quickly realized how much of a dud this new DVR was.

I started having transfer problems from room to room using the MRV feature then I had problems just transferring programs to another DVR (Not streaming). I still can't get either of the Tivo Streams to work or for that matter to even setup correctly. When you call Tivo support they yank you around like its all your fault. I have never gotten a straight answer from Tivo as to why my stuff doesn't work. I hate that I paid so much money for both of my units only to call support and be told it's your network and in reality some of the issues were on Tivo's side and they use a cop out story to get you off the phone. I have gone as far as reformatting my Tivo's just to prove to them the issue was on their side.

Tivo is the only device on my network that still refuses to work properly when everything else works fine. I will go even one step further and say that the old Premiers and the first generation Stream worked great on my network until the Roamio's came out then all hell broke loose.

Now some of you may have not experience any problems with your Tivo's so good for you and I hope it stays that way for you. If you ever do start to experience the same problems that some of us have experience then you will start to understand the frustration we have for so many months.
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
dahacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
OK, so I am going to rain on your little parade a little here. I used to love Tivo until the Roamio's came out. It was better then the cable company's DVR and more cost savings. This all changed for me when the ugly Tivo Roamino laided an egg. At first, I was super excited that Tivo had finally came out with an integrated streamer and a faster processor to speed up the menus, then I quickly realized how much of a dud this new DVR was.

I started having transfer problems from room to room using the MRV feature then I had problems just transferring programs to another DVR (Not streaming). I still can't get either of the Tivo Streams to work or for that matter to even setup correctly. When you call Tivo support they yank you around like its all your fault. I have never gotten a straight answer from Tivo as to why my stuff doesn't work. I hate that I paid so much money for both of my units only to call support and be told it's your network and in reality some of the issues were on Tivo's side and they use a cop out story to get you off the phone. I have gone as far as reformatting my Tivo's just to prove to them the issue was on their side.

In addition, I would heavily consider going with a full MoCA network if your ethernet if FUBAR.

Tivo is the only device on my network that still refuses to work properly when everything else works fine. I will go even one step further and say that the old Premiers and the first generation Stream worked great on my network until the Roamio's came out then all hell broke loose.

Now some of you may have not experience any problems with your Tivo's so good for you and I hope it stays that way for you. If you ever do start to experience the same problems that some of us have experience then you will start to understand the frustration we have for so many months.
I appreciate your input over the last 4+ months on this forum, but I really don't know why you waste your time. I went back and looked at some of your older posts. I'm a network engineer. I would say most likely that your network is FUBAR despite you insisting that your Premieres work fine. I would get a new high quality router and verify that all of your CAT-5 runs can in fact flow gigabit reliably using two laptops to validate. Networking is very complicated and you can't just assume that because all other devices work fine, that there isn't something fundamentally set wrong in your network hardware or software wise that conflicts with the Roamios.

If your two Roamios really are that bad, just sell them and get Tivo HDs. They go for $300 with lifetime on eBay. It really is that simple. No sense in being an abused spouse for 4+ months. At some point you have to walk away.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Very happy customer here. I talk about my TiVo all the time with friends/family. Roamio Pro with 6 Minis. Routinely do out-of-home streaming and in-home streaming without problems. Love every minute with my TiVo.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
jimmypowder

Quote:

I agree. Between the C133,V53 & V58 error messages,wifi connectivity issues,the Streaming OOH failures , i can't say for the amount of money paid for lifetime and the unit that I'm very impressed.

My Tivo premiere works pretty much flawlessly and has for years.
jimmypowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
laria
Librocubicularist

I don't know if I'm happy with Roamio, it's still in the box until the hard drive comes today.

But I was happy with our Series 1's from 8/2000-11/2006 and I have been happy with our Series 3's from 11/2006-present.

I'm slightly unhappy about having to pay a new lifetime fee, though. But we sure got our moneys worth out of the $199 x 2 paid in 2000 and then again in 2006 when the offered the special deal to transfer them to S3's for $199.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TiVo Dude View Post
As we all typically post when we have an issue - and say nothing when everything works, I thought it might be worthwhile to say "I'm happy with TiVo."

In fact, *very* happy. .............
So do you enjoy walking through hospitals telling all the patients that most of the world isn't sick? (Just kidding.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahacker View Post
I appreciate your input over the last 4+ months on this forum, but I really don't know why you waste your time. I went back and looked at some of your older posts. I'm a network engineer. I would say most likely that your network is FUBAR despite you insisting that your Premieres work fine. I would get a new high quality router and verify that all of your CAT-5 runs can in fact flow gigabit reliably using two laptops to validate. Networking is very complicated and you can't just assume that because all other devices work fine, that there isn't something fundamentally set wrong in your network hardware or software wise that conflicts with the Roamios.

If your two Roamios really are that bad, just sell them and get Tivo HDs. They go for $300 with lifetime on eBay. It really is that simple. No sense in being an abused spouse for 4+ months. At some point you have to walk away.
So as a network engineer you should know that I use a Cisco 1921 router ( you can't get much better quality then that) an Apple Airport extreme and D-link gigabit switch. All cables are gigabit connections (Cat 6) so I think your input is flawed a little. I have a Cisco CCNA and (use it everyday) so I think I know what I am doing here. What qualifies you as a network engineer but furthermore you should know that each network can be different.

I waste my time because I want people to realize that Tivo is not all pure bliss. I don't think it's fair that Tivo blames the end user as it being their fault when in fact some of the blame goes to them for having a somewhat inconsistent product that doesn't work half the time for some people.

Yep that rights, I have become an abuse spouse for 4+ months. That is what I do or it could be I want to hold Tivo accountable for their actions and let everybody know it. As I have said before, this is not Tivo's first DVR and I do realize they will have some duds but don't blame the user as if it is their fault. Now I realize that Tivo management is not going to come to this thread and change their company strategy but if I can let other users know who are having problems that it might not be them at all but actually Tivo.

Why is it that when a user has a problem the company will point the finger at the user and say it's your problem. When the shoe is on the other foot and it's the companies problem they don't want to admit to it and they look the other way. There is no excuse for Tivo not to have found a lot of these problems before shipping this product. What ever happen to beta testing first? I do realize that some bugs will get through but come on, why do I have to pay $1000 for two units to pay beta tester for them? If Tivo wants to buy my boxes from me then fine I will sell the Roamio's back to them but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I would actually welcome a call from someone at Tivo who can actually help me to solve my problem then just read a script back to me.

Anybody who has ever called Tivo knows the routine. When all else fails, oops it's your problem we can't help you.

So what, I am vocal about what I believe in, so are the countless other Tivo FAN BOYS. I just happen not to be one. If you don't want to hear me then don't listen. If you really did look at my past post then you would realize that not all of them are slamming the door on Tivo so you couldn't of looked that hard!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
dahacker

Quote:
So as a network engineer you should know that I use a Cisco 1921 router ( you can't get much better quality then that) an Apple Airport extreme and D-link gigabit switch. All cables are gigabit connections (Cat 6) so I think your input is flawed a little. I have a Cisco CCNA and (use it everyday) so I think I know what I am doing here. What qualifies you as a network engineer but furthermore you should know that each network can be different.

I waste my time because I want people to realize that Tivo is not all pure bliss. I don't think it's fair that Tivo blames the end user as it being their fault when in fact some of the blame goes to them for having a somewhat inconsistent product that doesn't work half the time for some people.

Yep that rights, I have become an abuse spouse for 4+ months. That is what I do or it could be I want to hold Tivo accountable for their actions and let everybody know it. As I have said before, this is not Tivo's first DVR and I do realize they will have some duds but don't blame the user as if it is their fault. Now I realize that Tivo management is not going to come to this thread and change their company strategy but if I can let other users know who are having problems that it might not be them at all but actually Tivo.

Why is it that when a user has a problem the company will point the finger at the user and say it's your problem. When the shoe is on the other foot and it's the companies problem they don't want to admit to it and they look the other way. There is no excuse for Tivo not to have found a lot of these problems before shipping this product. What ever happen to beta testing first? I do realize that some bugs will get through but come on, why do I have to pay $1000 for two units to pay beta tester for them? If Tivo wants to buy my boxes from me then fine I will sell the Roamio's back to them but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I would actually welcome a call from someone at Tivo who can actually help me to solve my problem then just read a script back to me.

Anybody who has ever called Tivo knows the routine. When all else fails, oops it's your problem we can't help you.

So what, I am vocal about what I believe in, so are the countless other Tivo FAN BOYS. I just happen not to be one. If you don't want to hear me then don't listen. If you really did look at my past post then you would realize that not all of them are slamming the door on Tivo so you couldn't of looked that hard!
Awesome. Sounds like it would be easy for you to ditch your network equipment and try something else. Your network obviously isn't working with Tivo Roamio in your current configuration. Why don't you give full MoCA a try or bring your expensive router down to something in the $100 range and let us know your findings? At least try and move forward and get a network configuration like the rest of us where everything works fine.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
jimmypowder

All the Tivo fanboys here just mimic the same line that Tivo gives you on the phone .

Repeat after me " it must be your network " bwak
Like a parrot ! Bwak , it must be your network , bwak .
Old 12-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
mburnno

Smile

Quote:
Awesome. Sounds like it would be easy for you to ditch your network equipment and try something else. Your network obviously isn't working with Tivo Roamio in your current configuration. Why don't you give full MoCA a try or bring your expensive router down to something in the $100 range and let us know your findings? At least try and move forward and get a network configuration like the rest of us where everything works fine.
Yep, I will hop right on that "DA Hacker". While I am at it, I will re-design the Tivo that actually works. We can re-brand the company and call it "it just works"
Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post
All the Tivo fanboys here just mimic the same line that Tivo gives you on the phone .

Repeat after me " it must be your network " bwak
Like a parrot ! Bwak , it must be your network , bwak .
you should be prepared to get flamed by "dahacker" because he is a network engineer and your network must be wrong. Did I mention he was a network engineer? Yes, I know I am being an ass.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
AAinCal

One week in and I'm thrilled with my Roamio. I had an initial hiccup with wifi connectivity, but at least this once it really was just my network (router needed replacing). Another few hours was spent trying to get all six streams working, which ended up just requiring a hard reset of everything including my tuning adapter. Since last weekend, not a single glitch. No restarts, no problems streaming to iPad or iPhone, no problems with Netflix or Youtube. The user experience is much better than it ever was with my Premiere and reminds me somewhat of my long retired HD, just with more functionality and a nicer interface. Dumb luck? Maybe. I have my fingers crossed that it will continue.

And while I'm fanboying a bit about TiVo/Roamio, let me take a moment to do the same in regard to the TWC CableCard team. Two calls, two competent representatives, instant service both times: almost makes me nostalgic for the TWC I've known and despised all these years.
AAinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
spaldingclan

I'm a fanboy...and it's even more pronounced now that I have a Roamio.
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
skid71

Roamio Pro + 2 Mini's + Slide Pro
With our cable provider and home network, this combination has performed exceptionally well.

We are new to TiVo. Their products continue to work as advertised for us. I don't know if that makes me a fanboy. Frankly, I couldn't care less if anyone thinks that.

We bought the Pro and Mini's based on what they could do when we purchased them. If we get more out of them, that's icing on the cake.
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

We've had our TiVo equipment (Roamio Plus and two Minis) for about three months and are very happy. I'm embarrassed to say we've had all six tuners recording something a few times.

I was eager to have more than the two tuners our Comcast STB offered. And from reading the Xfinity support forums I was nervous about trying their new X1 system.

Not being familiar with MoCA, I set everything up on our Ethernet network. Everything has been working fine, no complaints. Even out-of-home streaming.

Only glitch was the first day -- our two Minis would not finish the guided setup. A call to TiVo tech support got a vague "we'll push out software in the next 3 to 5 days" and "a reboot might help." Rebooted the Roamio, then the two Minis -- and the guided setup finished normally.

Monthly expenses are down a bit, and I now have HD in both the kitchen and bedroom, and we can watch live TV or recordings in the kitchen and bedroom -- features we did not have with the old Comcast equipment. We're happy.
DeltaOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
dahacker

Quote:
you should be prepared to get flamed by "dahacker" because he is a network engineer and your network must be wrong. Did I mention he was a network engineer? Yes, I know I am being an ass.
I really don't take anything on the Internet personally, and I'm sure if we met in real life we would have a beer and laugh over the last 13 years of Tivo ups and downs. Just trying to help. Sorry if you take it otherwise.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
mburnno

Quote:
I really don't take anything on the Internet personally, and I'm sure if we met in real life we would have a beer and laugh over the last 13 years of Tivo ups and downs. Just trying to help. Sorry if you take it otherwise.
Listen man, at the end of the day I take nothing personal. I do not know anybody personally in these forums and if Tivo closed the door tomorrow it really wouldn't bother me that much. I will say however that it does burn me when any company puts the customer last. Yes, I know that would be all companies in today's world but some are better hiding it then others. I guess I feel a little burned that Tivo support gives the same song and dance and it seems they are unwilling to truly help you instead of blaming you. Remember without customers these company's would not be in business.

Cheers !!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
The TiVo Dude

Lots of threads where we can see folks discuss/argue issues they are having...

Call me a fanboy if you like, this is really good stuff!

...so anybody else psyched about Roamio/Minis?

...cable dvrs suck!
The TiVo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
ustavio

I was quite happy with my Roamio Pro until:
1. I used it for awhile and
2. The multiple updates to "fix" issues rolled out. I was not experiencing issues that needed fixing until after the update "fixed" them. In other words, the "fix" actually created the issue for me (although it did fix it for some of those who originally had the issue).
3. Netflix reboots. They come. They go. They're random. They're maddening. They don't have profiles anymore, unlike any other platform or device on the planet. I don't dare use while recording anything. I don't even use it anymore.

Did I say I'm quite happy with my Roamio? Yes. I love the 6 tuners (despite the padding issue). I love the HDUI (except for the parts that still aren't HDUI). I like the storage capacity (for reals). I love the new RF remote (even though there is an intermittent screeching white noise when I use the guide). The cat does not like this part one bit. There is more. I could go on. But gushing on about my Roamio will only annoy those who have don't have flawless, problem free performance.

I can, ironically, agree with both fan boys (fan persons?) and the disgruntled and disgusted. Frankly, I'm both. Overall, the Roamio is a fine product in the making. It's well-intended and once the entire community of TiVo owners beta tests it for several years or so, it should work fine for everyone.

It does bother me when those who don't have any issues flame those who do. There are MANY posts on this forum from MANY owners who have various problems. We come here to find common ground and or solutions. If one has a network set up that has and is working just fine until one plugs a Roamio into it, then, in my view it is likely the Roamio that is the cog in the wheel. To suggest that someone rip out their entire network (especially to downgrade it) seems silly. Even TiVoMargret has posted here that most all the problems experienced are due to Roamio issues and NOT OUR FAULT (despite what the CSR may say).

Sometimes, yes, a faulty part of network hardware can create a problem. And yes, sometimes it was working fine before and just happened to malfunction after installing a Roamio. Sometimes, it can be an older TV or cable runs or this or that. BUT, if I yank out my Roamio and plug in my TiVo HD or Premiere and it works just fine, what does that tell me? If I put a new light bulb in and it doesn't work, do I re-wire the house and replace the power panel? I could, but I'll try it in another socket and/or try another bulb first. It could just be a bad bulb (even though it is a new one).

I have a lot of devices and platforms and they all work well with my network. The Roamio doesn't play well. I have spent months trying, consulting, tweaking (at times even twerking) but issues persist. I will probably keep my Roamio for the recording/storage capability but it is not a product I would recommend at this stage.

Consider yourself very fortunate if you have never experienced any issues. But be mindful, that any update at anytime could convert the most loyal fan's glee into raving lunacy. And the ultimate irony will be if you come to this community for help or simply to vent frustration.....and get flamed.

Last edited by ustavio : 12-27-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #23
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
2. The multiple updates to "fix" issues rolled out. I was not experiencing issues that needed fixing until after the update "fixed" them. In other words, the "fix" actually created the issue for me (although it did fix it for some of those who originally had the issue).
3. Netflix reboots. They come. They go. They're random. They're maddening. They don't have profiles anymore, unlike any other platform or device on the planet. I don't dare use while recording anything. I don't even use it anymore.

Did I say I'm quite happy with my Roamio? Yes. I love the 6 tuners (despite the padding issue). I love the HDUI (except for the parts that still aren't HDUI). I like the storage capacity (for reals). I love the new RF remote (even though there is an intermittent screeching white noise when I use the guide). The cat does not like this part one bit. There is more. I could go on. But gushing on about my Roamio will only annoy those who have don't have flawless, problem free performance.

I can, ironically, agree with both fan boys (fan persons?) and the disgruntled and disgusted. Frankly, I'm both. Overall, the Roamio is a fine product in the making. It's well-intended and once the entire community of TiVo owners beta tests it for several years or so, it should work fine for everyone.

It does bother me when those who don't have any issues flame those who do. There are MANY posts on this forum from MANY owners who have various problems. We come here to find common ground and or solutions. If one has a network set up that has and is working just fine until one plugs a Roamio into it, then, in my view it is likely the Roamio that is the cog in the wheel. To suggest that someone rip out their entire network (especially to downgrade it) seems silly. Even TiVoMargret has posted here that most all the problems experienced are due to Roamio issues and NOT OUR FAULT (despite what the CSR may say).

Sometimes, yes, a faulty part of network hardware can create a problem. And yes, sometimes it was working fine before and just happened to malfunction after installing a Roamio. Sometimes, it can be an older TV or cable runs or this or that. BUT, if I yank out my Roamio and plug in my TiVo HD or Premiere and it works just fine, what does that tell me? If I put a new light bulb in and it doesn't work, do I re-wire the house and replace the power panel? I could, but I'll try it in another socket and/or try another bulb first. It could just be a bad bulb (even though it is a new one).

I have a lot of devices and platforms and they all work well with my network. The Roamio doesn't play well. I have spent months trying, consulting, tweaking (at times even twerking) but issues persist. I will probably keep my Roamio for the recording/storage capability but it is not a product I would recommend at this stage.

Consider yourself very fortune if you have never experienced any issues. But be mindful, that any update at anytime could convert the most loyal fan's glee into raving lunacy. And the ultimate irony will be if you come to this community for help or simply to vent frustration.....and get flamed.
Bravo ustavio,.....Bravo!!!! (Standing ovation)
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #24
mburnno

Quote:

Consider yourself very fortune if you have never experienced any issues. But be mindful, that any update at anytime could convert the most loyal fan's glee into raving lunacy. And the ultimate irony will be if you come to this community for help or simply to vent frustration.....and get flamed.

Wow that is an awesome post dude! I think you about covered all the bases there. Hey about that twerking statement, you wouldn't happen to be a Miley Cyrus fan would you.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
MikePA1

Quote:
And the ultimate irony will be if you come to this community for help or simply to vent frustration.....and get flamed.
'Venting frustration' in a discussion forum accomplishes nothing. However, clearly others believe it does.
MikePA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
'Venting frustration' in a discussion forum accomplishes nothing. However, clearly others believe it does.
And this from the ultimate flamer.When I was venting my frustrations with OOH streaming and asked you for solutions ,you provided nothing
.But you did get the entire thread closed .Congrats.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #27
uw69

A thread about happy TiVo owners and the unsilent minority can't resist spreading the word about their TiVo issues. Start your own thread!

I suspect this thread will be locked soon.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #28
ustavio

Quote:
you wouldn't happen to be a Miley Cyrus fan would you.
That would be a .....no.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #29
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
Perhaps a poor choice of wording. Maybe "express dismay" is better. Or one could preface one's frus...er, dismay with "I apologize in advance if it sounds like I'm venting frustration (substitute expressing dismay) here (because I know this is a discussion forum and venting frustration (insert expressing dismay) accomplishes nothing) but.......(insert product issue that is cause of....frus...er, dismay).

How does a Community Forum differ from a Discussion Forum? Community, in my view, includes Discussion (in all its forms). Discussion doesn't necessarily embrace the spirit of Community (although it can). There tends to be more pontification in Discussion Forums. Less tolerance. Less empathy. I prefer Community like here in the....TiVo Community Forum.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #30
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
A thread about happy TiVo owners and the unsilent minority can't resist spreading the word about their TiVo issues. Start your own thread!

I suspect this thread will be locked soon.
I'm quite happy with my TiVo....except for a few things.