TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Should TiVo start adding more VOD services ex. (Vudu, crackle)?
Yes 35 72.92%
No 3 6.25%
Maybe 3 6.25%
Not something I would use 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
nesbitttivo

What about TiVo adding new VOD services?

There are so many now available on other platforms that by now I would think TiVo would have included them with the new software for the roamio. The most important one for me would be Amazon Prime access. I use it quite often because of all the free movie and tv shows they offer is one of the best.

Some others would be Vudu, crackle, espn, and many more.
nesbitttivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I would like Amazon Prime streaming just so I have Amazon access from my Minis. I don't use Prime streaming very often since I use Netflix mostly. But if Amazon continues to introduce new content, I'm sure I will be using Prime streaming more and more.

And this thread reminds me to check for a new episode of Alpha House. I hate that they don't release all the episodes at once. I would have watched them all the first week they were available.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
nesbitttivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would like Amazon Prime streaming just so I have Amazon access from my Minis. I don't use Prime streaming very often since I use Netflix mostly. But if Amazon continues to introduce new content, I'm sure I will be using Prime streaming more and more.

And this thread reminds me to check for a new episode of Alpha House. I hate that they don't release all the episodes at once. I would have watched them all the first week they were available.
I definitely agree with you on the access to Amazon prime from the mini Would be a great feature.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Thom

I really think TiVo should get the VOD services they currently have working better before adding more. It is very jarring to skip back a minute in Netflix and have to wait for the video stream to reload and resync, compared to the same function on a TiVoed show.

VOD services on the TiVo need to buffer a lot more (all?) of the streaming video to a temporary area of the TiVo hard disk so that TiVo trick plays work like a TiVo should.
Thom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I really think TiVo should get the VOD services they currently have working better before adding more. It is very jarring to skip back a minute in Netflix and have to wait for the video stream to reload and resync, compared to the same function on a TiVoed show.

VOD services on the TiVo need to buffer a lot more (all?) of the streaming video to a temporary area of the TiVo hard disk so that TiVo trick plays work like a TiVo should.
It's the same on other devices. It's a streaming service. Streaming means there is a limited buffer. If anything my TiVos are quicker than many other devices at refilling the buffer. It typically starts streaming in less than a second. And very quickly gets to the HD stream within another few seconds if not less than a second.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
nesbitttivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's the same on other devices. It's a streaming service. Streaming means there is a limited buffer. If anything my TiVos are quicker than many other devices at refilling the buffer. It typically starts streaming in less than a second. And very quickly gets to the HD stream within another few seconds if not less than a second.
True to a point but not exactly the same. The streaming from TiVo to TiVo should be expected to have little to no delay, but when you want to watch an VOD say from Amazon, you have to wait 20 to 30 minutes before you can start watching the movie as I assume the reason why is because TiVo has to cache the first 20 or so minutes of the VOD show or movie. That is not the case when I use the same Amazon VOD service on other similar type streaming devices.

How come it's way with TiVo but not for the others?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

My Premiere is just too slow to run programs like these. I use my Roku and it's a VERY different experience then my slow Tivo. The Roku is super fast.

ETA: Can't wait to open my new Roamio on XMAS day!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
AdamNJ

amazon prime and hbogo are all i want.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Amazon Prime, HBOGo, and VUDU would all be useful to me.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbitttivo View Post
you have to wait 20 to 30 minutes before you can start watching the movie
Huh?

First, Amazon isn't a streaming service, it is a download service. And second... What are you talking about? You can start watching an Amazon download within just a few moments after it starts to download.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbitttivo View Post
True to a point but not exactly the same. The streaming from TiVo to TiVo should be expected to have little to no delay, but when you want to watch an VOD say from Amazon, you have to wait 20 to 30 minutes before you can start watching the movie as I assume the reason why is because TiVo has to cache the first 20 or so minutes of the VOD show or movie. That is not the case when I use the same Amazon VOD service on other similar type streaming devices.

How come it's way with TiVo but not for the others?
The current Amazon implementation on TiVo is a download service. It's actually unique to TiVo and allows them to support devices all the way back to the S2 units. All other devices use the streaming implementation. So that's the difference. However there is a rumor that an Amazon streaming implementation is coming soon. We're not sure yet if this will supplant the download service or if it will be in addition to it. The quality of the download videos is a lot higher then the streaming ones, so I think some people will be upset if it supplants it, but the addition of instant watching and Prime streaming would be worth it in my opinion.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Amazon HD downloads are apparently always 1080p24, whereas streaming to most devices is 720p24. Supposedly you can get 1080p24 from Amazon on a small subset of devices (at 10 Mbps, a gigantic leap from their < 3 Mbps 720p encodes), but I haven't been able to get it on PS3 (supposedly one of that subset) with my nominally 100 Mbps network service. Others have reported seeing it on PS3 and PS4.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
smithken31100

I rarely use VOD services, once or twice a year at most. My TV and DVD player can access many VOD services. For these two reasons I wouldn't find them useful on the Tivo.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

I gave up going to the video store years ago, and stopped my Netflix disc subscription a couple years ago when they made that deal where you can't get new releases for 90 days after the sale release. (I switched to Blockbuster briefly, but didn't like it) Now my primary source of movies is VOD. When I'm in the mood to watch a movie I check Netflix, HOBGo and VUDU. The first two are "free" (minus small monthly fee) so I usually check them first. If I want to watch something new I use VUDU which costs $4-$6 per movie. Occasionally I'll use Amazon on my TiVo if I have a promotional credit or something, but it's rare because it takes so long for the video to start downloading and then to get enough buffered to start watching. If there was a Streaming option I'd likely use it more, especially since I also have Amazon Prime and that would give me access to their streaming service. (I pay for it anyway just for the 2 day shipping)
Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
Fred C Dobbs

HBOgo, as well as similar services from other providers would be nice.

FCD
Fred C Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote