TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
jgametest

Cool New Apps Arriving

As of Early this morning reports are coming in the apps are trinkling in. TechCrunch and MoviePhone arrived, was told in the Roamio section that OperaTvStore was on the list on mine it was not. So I am making a connection to TiVo to force it down.

Your TiVo just got a little more powerful with choices.

Now here is my thought, the MoviePHone app is nice but for me seems like a rehash of material. The majority of what it offers is built into my HuluPlus in the category of Movies we have Trailers (In Theater and Coming Soon). But as for DVD info that has been available in the AOLon app under Entertainment.

But as we are striving to learn, sometimes a one-stop does all is a better way to go as "Variety is the Spice of Life" so with that said I will give these apps the attention they deserve and look them over to determine what I think about them based on Navigation, Look and Feel. That said, The MoviePhone app is very nicely put together.

OMG! Opera TV Store is here it's really here!

After the update from connecting it will not appear, you will need to manually reboot TiVo and then it will appear in APPS.

Facebook on tv is like wow. -- all your content available minus GAMES.

Last edited by jgametest : 12-18-2013 at 07:20 AM.
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
jgametest

Lightbulb Still no Browser?

So I scanned the Opera Tv store and I don't see a link to add/run the Opera Browser. But clearly it's installed when you push a site to KMTTG as the aboutpera gives a status of configuration. Wonder if there is a conflict between the two devices or just have not released the browser to us in the OperaTVStore.

Will continue to keep on eye on this and will run various test to see if we are any closer to hitting Plex, Amazon or even Crackle.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

According to Dave Zatz Amazon is coming...

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-12/...comment-118243

Plex would be nice. Someone posted a link a while back about someone working on an HTL5 Plex app for Boxee that was being looked at for the Opera store, but I'm not sure what happened with it.

As more and more services transition to HTML5 we're likely to see a lot of new apps pop up on TiVo. Now that developers don't have to write/maintain a special version just for TiVo they're more likely to offer access on the platform.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgametest View Post
So I scanned the Opera Tv store and I don't see a link to add/run the Opera Browser. But clearly it's installed when you push a site to KMTTG as the aboutpera gives a status of configuration. Wonder if there is a conflict between the two devices or just have not released the browser to us in the OperaTVStore.

Will continue to keep on eye on this and will run various test to see if we are any closer to hitting Plex, Amazon or even Crackle.
All these html apps run IN the TiVo built in Opera browser. So when you launch them what you are seeing is the output of the Opera browser. Unfortunately starting with 20.3.7 TiVo broke the focus mechanism when starting any arbitrary web page with the TiVo Opera browser, which made it useless. Prior to 20.3.7 you could use arrow keys to navigate around different html elements on the page so you could click on links or enter text, etc. That no longer works such that only applications specifically intended for TiVo and/or Opera TV will run properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
All these html apps run IN the TiVo built in Opera browser. So when you launch them what you are seeing is the output of the Opera browser. Unfortunately starting with 20.3.7 TiVo broke the focus mechanism when starting any arbitrary web page with the TiVo Opera browser, which made it useless. Prior to 20.3.7 you could use arrow keys to navigate around different html elements on the page so you could click on links or enter text, etc. That no longer works such that only applications specifically intended for TiVo and/or Opera TV will run properly.
I wonder if you could write a small jump off page that grabs focus to the window and then loads the external page. Maybe once the window has focus it wont lose it if you load another page. One line of javascript could do this...

window.focus();

Or maybe

document.body.focus();
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
philw1776

Any word if TiVo will finally support existing, advertised Apps like displaying photos? Can't get TiVo Desktop to work with MAC to display photos.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Any word if TiVo will finally support existing, advertised Apps like displaying photos? Can't get TiVo Desktop to work with MAC to display photos.
I've been using my TiVo with Picasa for years to show my online albums.
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
spaldingclan

Wish I could play mp3s off my PC on the tivo
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
Wish I could play mp3s off my PC on the tivo
You can using TiVo Desktop or pyTivo.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar'sBro View Post
I've been using my TiVo with Picasa for years to show my online albums.
I'm attempting to do what TiVo advertised that the Premiere XL4 would do, show photos from my laptop on TV. TiVo is totally unresponsive about fixing TiVo Desktop to run on the MAC. They marketed the Premiere as a do everything box but the features, NETFLIX, Photos do not function.

(In another thread, some users have finally after years of non-functioning gotten the new NETFLIX App software and are saying it no longer crashes.)
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
jgametest

Hotlist Updated to new GUI

It was a matter of time but "Hotlist" has finally received a new update to make the videos and streams play better. However it came at a cost, if you were a user of "Flingo" this streaming option has been removed.

The interface has been cleaned up so it's easier to load programs.
What do you think?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

still waiting for opera, no one i've spoken with at tivo tech support is even aware of the opera app store, but luckily it's listed on tivo.com with ts steps for users who don't show the interface (the last step it to call tech support).

the last rep i spoke with committed to push the software to my pxl...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

update: the opera app store was pushed to my pxl last night. after the connection, the hdui reloaded, returned to tivo central, and there was an "!" in a black video window, and remote was unresponsive.

since the clock was working, i waited for about 20 minutes, then the message envelope appeared. still no remote, so i performed a hard boot.

turns out a channel lineup change was pushed at the same time i intalling the opera app push, and all was well after the hard boot. i admit, there was a moment i feared the worst.

the store is responsive, and there are quite a few apps. the new youtube app is responsive, too. new year, new toys!

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
jgametest

FYI: If you need to clear your history on Vimeo (VOD) from within the Opera TV store there is a section that says Login this will provide a code on the screen with a link to www.vimeo.com/activate this will either create or link your OperaTvStore and purge history as the site will be in control. I'm unsure if any parental controls will carry over live as the developer has not informed us how that is working out so far.