TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
ghalb6148

Premiere XL died help save my recordings

My Premiere XL died the other day, GSOD, reboots, GSOD, reboots, you get the idea. I tried cloning the original drive, but I'm still having the same issue with the new drive. I am assuming the startup files are corrupted. I got a virgin image from ggieseke and it works fine. My question is, is there any way to copy my recordings over to the new drive?
ghalb6148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

No, they are encrypted to that drive and only the original Tivo can decrypt it.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
ghalb6148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
No, they are encrypted to that drive and only the original Tivo can decrypt it.
I'm still using the same Tivo. I just replaced the hard drive in it. The encryption is locked to the unit not the drive, isn't it? I'm looking for a way to just clone the media partitions from the original drive. I know it would work if I could clone the whole drive, but since the OS portion is corrupt, that is not an option.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghalb6148 View Post
I'm still using the same Tivo. I just replaced the hard drive in it. The encryption is locked to the unit not the drive, isn't it? I'm looking for a way to just clone the media partitions from the original drive. I know it would work if I could clone the whole drive, but since the OS portion is corrupt, that is not an option.
In theory, you might be able to clone the whole drive and then recopy selected sectors from a clean image to overwrite only the corrupt software, but it would be tricky, and I don't know how to be certain which sectors you would want to overwrite. The TSN is in there somewhere, and you need that to stay.

Alternatively, you could try (on a clone) whichever KickStart code switches to the other (presumably older) set of TiVo program partitions. With a bit of luck, that software copy will boot (and eventually update again). I've never used any of the KickStart codes.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
jmbach

Premiere XL died help save my recordings

In my experience, if the OS is the problem, the unit just boot loops. A GSOD usually means the MFS is buggered up. The kickstart codes are the only thing that I know of that has the ability to fix the MFS.

If you are wanting to copy the OS, you can use any of the dd varieties to copy from one partition to another one partition at a time. So you can take the good partition from the drive imaged from ggieseke image and copy to the cloned drive.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
ghalb6148

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
If you are wanting to copy the OS, you can use any of the dd varieties to copy from one partition to another one partition at a time. So you can take the good partition from the drive imaged from ggieseke image and copy to the cloned drive.
That's what I'm wanting to do. I'm not that familiar with ddrescue or linux in general, any idea what the command line would be to copy just the OS partion? I've been playing around with it and can't even get a list of partitions.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
jmbach

The Wiki on dd is not bad. The information you need is located in the usage section. It shows you how to clone partitions and blocks. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix) Need to copy the kernel and root partitions both primary and backup. They are partitions 3, 4, 6, and 7. Don't copy block0 over but you need to make note of which partition the good drive is booting off of and if it is different that your bad drive you will have to modify the bad drive accordingly.