TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #91
HazelW

If you watch a show from my shows that is currently recording and then exit the recording, the next time you try to watch it you may or may not get a resume playing option. Sometimes it wants to start from the beginning again. I have tried this numerous times and it is totally random.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #92
bobfrank

I don't like wishlists defaulting to record all matching programs when setting up a new wishlist. I may be looking for some movies which have a certain actor in them, but I don't necessarily want every movie, TV series, talk show, etc that the actor appeared in to be recorded. I have to remember to change that option every time I set up a new wishlist.

The default should not be to record all the shows.
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #93
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
If you watch a show from my shows that is currently recording and then exit the recording, the next time you try to watch it you may or may not get a resume playing option. Sometimes it wants to start from the beginning again. I have tried this numerous times and it is totally random.
It's funny how some people get this, and others don't. Clearly it happens, since more than one person has commented on it, but just as many say it never happens to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrank View Post
I don't like wishlists defaulting to record all matching programs when setting up a new wishlist. I may be looking for some movies which have a certain actor in them, but I don't necessarily want every movie, TV series, talk show, etc that the actor appeared in to be recorded. I have to remember to change that option every time I set up a new wishlist.

The default should not be to record all the shows.
I think most heavy (or sophisticated) TiVo users would agree. But for newbies, who probably barely understand the difference, it's a better option.

This can be overwhelming when you set up an "informational" wishlist (for lack of a better word). IOW, you just want to be able to see "Upcoming" but have no intention of setting an auto-record. If you happen to pick a broad category, it will start setting the record function for dozens/hundreds of shows. I once made the mistake of creating a WL for Movies; before I could change it, there were hundreds of recordings set. And for the next few days, the history was full of "user cancelled" recordings.

The solution, when you know this will happen, is to first set the WL for something nonsensical. Like an obscure actor. Once it's created, change to non Auto-Record. Then modify the WL to what you wanted in the first case.

A terribly ugly kludge, but the only way to skip around the auto-record setting.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #94
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's funny how some people get this, and others don't. Clearly it happens, since more than one person has commented on it, but just as many say it never happens to them.
I don't find it "funny", the way there's often a large number of people who will always post how great their TiVo is working, or "I've never once had that happen", when somebody is trying to find out what is going on, or try to solve their issue.

It tends to happen the most if the person who posts expresses things in a way that blames TiVo (or implies the blame should be on TiVo, and TiVo should do something about it).

That aside, it's ironic how understanding you can be on this matter, which you must have experienced yourself (since, I don't see any other reason for the bias, on a recent subject matter, also not limited to just one person).

I haven't noticed this specific issue. That could just mean it's never bothered me enough to post about it (yet).

EDIT/ADD: I have noticed it. If the program is still recording, and I am watching it from the Live TV buffer, then pause and begin watching from the "My Shows" list, it starts at the beginning. That has always been the behavior, that I can recall, with any TiVo I have ever owned, not just the Roamio.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-21-2014 at 06:16 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #95
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I don't find it "funny", the way there's often a large number of people who will always post how great their TiVo is working, or "I've never once had that happen", when somebody is trying to find out what is going on, or try to solve their issue.

It tends to happen the most if the person who posts expresses things in a way that blames TiVo (or implies the blame should be on TiVo, and TiVo should do something about it).

That aside, it's ironic how understanding you can be on this matter, which you must have experienced yourself (since, I don't see any other reason for the bias, on a recent subject matter, also not limited to just one person).
WTF are you talking about? I don't even understand your post. I was commenting on how some issues plague some units, but not others. I used the word funny more in the "how odd" sense, not the humorous sense.

So are you agreeing with me, disagreeing, or just being your usual argumentative self?

PS: Nope, never had this particular issue affect any of my TiVos.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #96
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
WTF are you talking about? I don't even understand your post. I was commenting on how some issues plague some units, but not others. I used the word funny more in the "how odd" sense, not the humorous sense.
So are you agreeing with me, disagreeing, or just being your usual argumentative self?
PS: Nope, never had this particular issue affect any of my TiVos.
I'll say I'm agreeing with you.

I just don't understand the differential/bias when my comments about the state of my TiVos during a C133 TiVo server issue, which TiVo admitted to, sent you completely off the rails.

I don't know how you never could have the "issue", from this discussion, since it's reproducible. I almost dismissed myself as never having experienced it.

It's an ages-old annoyance, from before the Roamio:

1. Start watching something that is recording from the live view mode.

2. Pause it.

3. Select it from the My Shows list, rather than resuming from the live view mode.

4. The place you paused at is lost, because they are two different viewing modes.

Any alleged "randomness" is a result of whether the show is still recording, has finished recording, and how the viewing of it is "resumed".

Some just don't understand this has been this way for a long time, especially if that somebody's first TiVo happens to be a Roamio. They might post it here as a "Roamio UI irritation", while it's not limited to the Roamio.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #97
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I'll say I'm agreeing with you.

I just don't understand the differential/bias when my comments about the state of my TiVos during a C133 TiVo server issue, which TiVo admitted to, sent you completely off the rails.

I don't know how you never could have the "issue", from this discussion, since it's reproducible. I almost dismissed myself as never having experienced it.

It's an ages-old annoyance, from before the Roamio:

1. Start watching something that is recording from the live view mode.

2. Pause it.

3. Select it from the My Shows list, rather than resuming from the live view mode.

4. The place you paused at is lost, because they are two different viewing modes.

Any alleged "randomness" is a result of whether the show is still recording, has finished recording, and how the viewing of it is "resumed".

Some just don't understand this has been this way for a long time, especially if that somebody's first TiVo happens to be a Roamio. They might post it here as a "Roamio UI irritation", while it's not limited to the Roamio.
If you reread my post you will see that I was not watching from the live buffer, but from the my shows menu. And you can exit by hitting pause or not hitting pause, and if you come back later it will randomly lose the resume point.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #98
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
If you reread my post you will see that I was not watching from the live buffer, but from the my shows menu. And you can exit by hitting pause or not hitting pause, and if you come back later it will randomly lose the resume point.
i just did this last night with Warehouse 13. I caught up with Live Tv at around 50 minutes into the show, so I went and started watching something else instead of watching any commercials. When I came back to Warehouse 13, it continued where I left off before. Just like every other show does when I view it from the My SHows list.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #99
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
i just did this last night with Warehouse 13. I caught up with Live Tv at around 50 minutes into the show, so I went and started watching something else instead of watching any commercials. When I came back to Warehouse 13, it continued where I left off before. Just like every other show does when I view it from the My SHows list.
Like I said, it appears to be random. Try it a few times.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #100
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I have used it several times since getting the Spring update. So far it has always remembered my place.

I use this feature several times a week. It's usually for the same reason. I catch up with live Tv and start watching something else. I come back to the show and I'm in the same spot.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #101
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have used it several times since getting the Spring update. So far it has always remembered my place.

I use this feature several times a week. It's usually for the same reason. I catch up with live Tv and start watching something else. I come back to the show and I'm in the same spot.
Try exiting before you catch up to live TV. That is what I usually do.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #102
ustavio

Periodically, the HDUI gets "stuck" or is slow to populate. An HDUI reset always seems to clear it up. Also, if something is recording and you bring up the guide when it is on the the channel that is recording, there is a bit of jitter. Not deal breakers but noticeable.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #103
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Periodically, the HDUI gets "stuck" or is slow to populate. An HDUI reset always seems to clear it up. Also, if something is recording and you bring up the guide when it is on the the channel that is recording, there is a bit of jitter. Not deal breakers but noticeable.
HDUI reset?
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #104
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
HDUI reset?
While in TiVo Central HDUI, hit thumbs down, thumbs up, play, play. You'll get a "ding" and the HDUI will disappear briefly, "reset", and reappear.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #105
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
While in TiVo Central HDUI, hit thumbs down, thumbs up, play, play. You'll get a "ding" and the HDUI will disappear briefly, "reset", and reappear.
GTK. Thanks.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:16 AM   #106
chrispitude

Quote:
HazelW is correct. This has definitely happened to me for partially watched shows that I previously watched from the My Shows list. And, it is random - sometimes the show resumes, sometimes it restarts from the beginning.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #107
Mgalin

My two annoyances

These won't bother those who never had them - but my Harmony still has these programmed from my old Tivos..

- Now Playing List button on the remote no longer works.. Worked in the my Elite and Mini.. (To bring up my shows list) - Tivo*2 is slower!
-The STOP button. Used to be able to stop a program and get delete menu.. Instead you hit Tivo button and depending how far you are into the program, you may get the menu.

No Watch Live TV in roamio UI... 'have' to use remote button..

It's really annoying that my XL4/Elite, Roamio and Mini UI's are all slightly different!! e.g. no CLEAR on mini either!

Cmon tivo! lets get some consistency!
Mgalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #108
aaronwt
HD Addict

What do you mean no Watch Live TV? That still works on my Harmony remote. They were programmed in back when the S3 was out. Live TV on my Harmony will do the same thing as the Live TV button on the Roamio Remote.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #109
trip1eX

I've had the Roamio for a day and already think the mainscreen needs some trimming and simplifying and organizing.

What's with "What to watch Now" and "Find TV, Movies and Video" being 2 separate major options on the main screen?

Then can we hide the Apps&Games folder? How many are digging into that box every day? Put that on the top shelf in the closet in the basement bedroom.

Same with Music and Photos.

Do I have to see all the services I will never use when I scroll to the bottom of MY Shows?

Tivo needs to dump the "list-ee-ness" feel of its UI. It's 2014 and it feels outdated.

WMC displays folders and shows in a much more eye pleasing way. It uses the whole screen. There isn't much clutter. It shows nice big thumbnail stills of the shows besides the name of each show or episode. It's not a text list.

Tivo's main screen, feels like someone took DOS and then put a video PIP window in the top right corner and a context sensitive information PIP screen in the bottom right corner. Tivo needs to dump "DOS" in favor of "Windows" sorta speak.

Last edited by trip1eX : 07-19-2014 at 10:23 AM.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #110
aridon

1. Ability to adjust transition speed on the menus

2. Ability to pause your active tuner and have it actually pause a decent amount of time with option to add more. Many of us are sitting on huge hard drives with 30-50% utilization

3. The voice / video cut out when hitting tivo button from live tv or going back to live from menu

4. Ability to record season pass for new shows coming in the future. D* has this feature and they use a place holder which then converts to the season pass when guide data is available. That way you don't have to wait until 10 days before it airs to set up a pass. When you see that commercial a month before you can set it up and it will convert when the guide data is available.

5. D* also has the ability to hit a key like thumbs up during a commercial to automatically set up a recording for the show in question with a pop up box to indicate. Kind of neat.

6. Hit record from guide and not have to answer questions. Just record the stupid thing. Hit record twice and it does a season pass. If you want to change defaults hit select and do it that way.

7. convert the remaining SD menus

8. Cache the icons for music & photos / apps & games etc so they load instantly

9. Allow me to set a season pass for multiple channels. Season pass for family guy, shows it airs on Toon, fox, and TBS. Let me check the box next to the channels I want to record off of so I don't have to enter 3 season passes.

10. Add section under Find TV which lists new shows coming. New seasons starting up, new shows starting from scratch etc.

11. record menus could be stream lined to not need to change pages when doing things you change screens too often sometimes when setting stuff up when it only needs to expand the menu some to fit everything on a single page and consolidate stuff.

You hit guide then select, screen pops up, hit season pass you get essentially the same stupid screen again (this can be removed), hit get season pass Then options, changes screen again (could just bring you to the options screen with default being record as default already selected)

They can cut almost half of that without losing any functions or cluttering.

12. Same thing in My shows. There is MORE then enough space to consolidate the My Shows screen when you enter a program group and the subsequent "info" screen with the option to play / delete.

Currently when you highlight the episode you get the giant DISCOVERY BAR up top and the Listing of episodes under the group. They could remove the discovery bar, shrink the show list slightly and put the show info up top with the play, delete, expore etc from the next page on the right. No reason to have the entire extra screen in that menu it all fits on the previous screen its just inefficient and the discovery bar takes up so much space.

Last edited by aridon : 07-19-2014 at 02:05 PM.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #111
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
1. Ability to adjust transition speed on the menus

2. Ability to pause your active tuner and have it actually pause a decent amount of time with option to add more. Many of us are sitting on huge hard drives with 30-50% utilization

3. The voice / video cut out when hitting tivo button from live tv or going back to live from menu

4. Ability to record season pass for new shows coming in the future. D* has this feature and they use a place holder which then converts to the season pass when guide data is available. That way you don't have to wait until 10 days before it airs to set up a pass. When you see that commercial a month before you can set it up and it will convert when the guide data is available.

5. D* also has the ability to hit a key like thumbs up during a commercial to automatically set up a recording for the show in question with a pop up box to indicate. Kind of neat.

6. Hit record from guide and not have to answer questions. Just record the stupid thing. Hit record twice and it does a season pass. If you want to change defaults hit select and do it that way.

7. convert the remaining SD menus

8. Cache the icons for music & photos / apps & games etc so they load instantly

9. Allow me to set a season pass for multiple channels. Season pass for family guy, shows it airs on Toon, fox, and TBS. Let me check the box next to the channels I want to record off of so I don't have to enter 3 season passes.

10. Add section under Find TV which lists new shows coming. New seasons starting up, new shows starting from scratch etc.

11. record menus could be stream lined to not need to change pages when doing things you change screens too often sometimes when setting stuff up when it only needs to expand the menu some to fit everything on a single page and consolidate stuff.

You hit guide then select, screen pops up, hit season pass you get essentially the same stupid screen again (this can be removed), hit get season pass Then options, changes screen again (could just bring you to the options screen with default being record as default already selected)

They can cut almost half of that without losing any functions or cluttering.

12. Same thing in My shows. There is MORE then enough space to consolidate the My Shows screen when you enter a program group and the subsequent "info" screen with the option to play / delete.

Currently when you highlight the episode you get the giant DISCOVERY BAR up top and the Listing of episodes under the group. They could remove the discovery bar, shrink the show list slightly and put the show info up top with the play, delete, expore etc from the next page on the right. No reason to have the entire extra screen in that menu it all fits on the previous screen its just inefficient and the discovery bar takes up so much space.
3, 6, 9,11, and 12 definitely things I noticed the 1st day. There is too many button presses and sub-menus and rendundant choices. It's really apparent to me because I just came from WMC and even still have that setup and it is much streamlined and pleasing looking in nearly every respect.

oh and 10 is a good idea if isn't already an option.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote