TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:28 AM   #31
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
These threads just scream for OCD types and nit pickers to find things that would be given such low-priority that no engineer in his right mind would ever risk time looking into. Software nowadays has become large and complex with a never ending list of enhancements and new development.
When you pay above-average for a product you expect above-average attention to the details. Most of the nits are very likely to be low-hanging fruit that can be easily fixed. Engineers can figure out when to cut their losses fixing non-showstoppers. And squashing a bunch of easy bugs is one of the simplest ways to show initiative possible, which I consider right-minded.

Unless you're working out of your garage, software has always been large and complex with a never ending list of new development. The locus of the challenges changes. Complexities get abstracted away because the underlying techniques have matured, so there's room for a different set of complexities. But not so much more complexity overall.
Zu Nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #32
tombot

The setting that you are talking about only turns it off in Tivo Central mode. The preview window is still there in the channel guide Grid Guide mode. The SloMo button has no effect.
Anyone know a code to turn it off?
Or
How do I submit a trouble or annoyance report on this issue?
tombot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #33
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Nim View Post
When you pay above-average for a product you expect above-average attention to the details. Most of the nits are very likely to be low-hanging fruit that can be easily fixed. Engineers can figure out when to cut their losses fixing non-showstoppers. And squashing a bunch of easy bugs is one of the simplest ways to show initiative possible, which I consider right-minded.
LOL, you must not have been using Tivos for long. They live for annoying, head-scratching issues that pretty much anyone that pays attention to details would have fixed long ago. Not to mention taking away basic options for stuff like live TV buffer size, Mini sleep timers, a screensaver vs. live TV, etc. Or breaking as much stuff as they fix with every release.

It's the Tivo Way (tm), and it's mostly caused by no one else in the market pushing them to do better.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #34
Zu Nim
Registerer Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
LOL, you must not have been using Tivos for long. They live for annoying, head-scratching issues that pretty much anyone that pays attention to details would have fixed long ago. Not to mention taking away basic options for stuff like live TV buffer size, Mini sleep timers, a screensaver vs. live TV, etc. Or breaking as much stuff as they fix with every release.

It's the Tivo Way (tm), and it's mostly caused by no one else in the market pushing them to do better.
I must not have. I only have 13+ years of using TiVos. I was addressing software engineering generally, not so much TiVo.

A lack of retail competition hurts, but there's competition in the cable-provider space that they're now focused on. Unfortunately for users, that competitive bar is actually lower than where TiVo stands today so it's not going to help with the details either.
Zu Nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #35
Fred C Dobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The "Zoom" button will always take the video in the preview window back to full screen, whether Live or recorded.
Thanks much for this tip!

FCD
Fred C Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #36
laria
Librocubicularist

I don't know if this is really a UI irritation... I guess it is, although I think this is how it worked on my S3, too, but I didn't seem to have as much trouble with this on those.

Our Roamio has started recording a lot of suggestions that are repeats of shows that I have season passes set up that are set to "New Only". So this is screwing up my folder sorting by date, since it's pushing the show folders to the top of the list due to the date on the recorded suggestion. My S3's hardly ever seemed to record shows as suggestions that I had season passes for. I can only think of one show that it did once in a while.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #37
wtherrell

Question Sort by date or alphabetically

I have two Tivos together and use a single older model remote with a two positon DVR switch to control them. There are no A,B,C,D buttons on this remote. This morning one of the Tivos (HDUI) had rebooted and the My Shows menu had spontaneously reverted to being sorted by date instead of my preferred alphabetically. On my SDUI Tivo I just hit "Enter" to bring up a sort menu, or number key "1" to change between sort orders. This apparently doesn't work on the HDUI menu. Any one know how to work this with this remote? Alternatively, a dual switch remote with the A,B,C, buttons?
I had to hunt up the newer remote, put batteries in it. Hit the "B" button to change the sort order. Then remove the batteries and re-file the newer remote back in the junk-box. Probably won't have to do this very often but would like a more convenient way.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #38
shadoh

I've only been using my Roamio for a week (upgraded from an S3 HD XL), so I'm sure I'll find more.
  • I agree with the original poster - scrolling between my programs using Chan Up/Down is something I used a ton, and I'm going to miss it.
  • I really miss the Recording History from my S3 menu in the To Do list. The new option in the To Do list to show w/ Conflicts, etc, and the separate History window, just don't seem quite as intuitive as the old Recording History view, and there seems to be a lot more "junk" to sift through in the new views.
  • Once I get used to menus and I know what's coming up, I tend to Select/Select/Select (or right arrow right arrow right arrow) when I know where I'm going. Many times, even the fancy new fast interface doesn't seem to quite keep up, and I get BONG BONG BONG until the menu finishes refreshing. Even my slow S3 didn't do this - it would queue my button presses and respond when it finished processing (which was a good thing in my experience).
  • I don't know if I'd consider it ads, but the top banner with suggested shows is pretty annoying. "In My Shows"... yes, I know, thanks, I don't need you to remind me. Also, I do occasionally use Amazon Video, but not very often, so while I don't want to hide it from my Video Providers, I also don't care to see suggestions on the banner for Amazon titles.
  • I don't like that plain text has been replaced by icons in some menus, such as when selecting in a Season Pass whether to record New, Repeats, or All, the "NEW" is a picture instead of just text.
  • I know I'm in the minority here, but I've never been a fan of 30-second skip. I've tried it and tried it, and just don't like it. Luckily, in my use of Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 boxes, it was always off by default, and you had to use the SPS code to enable it. Now, I'm being forced to use my Advance button as a 30-second fast forward, with no option to set it back to simple advance.

shadoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #39
shadoh

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
Any one know how to work this with this remote? Alternatively, a dual switch remote with the A,B,C, buttons?
The remote change is a whole separate issue/area of frustration for me. :-) I'm not a fan, but I'm trying to force myself to get used to it. As far as a 1/2 remote with ABCD on it, I don't think such a thing exists. It looks like it's EITHER the 1/2 switch, OR the ABCD buttons. Ugh.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #40
randian

The worst UI flaw is, IMO, the wishlist UI no longer only shows wishlists with matching shows when listing matches. It wastes huge amounts of vertical space showing you wishlists that don't have matching shows. The older UI didn't do that. Stupid!

I also see that episodes will appear in the season pass listing, but not in the main upcoming shows listing.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #41
videobruce
OTA is still alive

What would you expect with a 3rd grade UI?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #42
rotorglow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
  • I know I'm in the minority here, but I've never been a fan of 30-second skip. I've tried it and tried it, and just don't like it. Luckily, in my use of Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 boxes, it was always off by default, and you had to use the SPS code to enable it. Now, I'm being forced to use my Advance button as a 30-second fast forward, with no option to set it back to simple advance.
Actually, you can choose that behavior right in the remote control setup screen. 30-sec scan is the new default, but you can go back to simple advance if you want.

And the rest of us can enable the old 30-skip with the usual SPS30S key combo.
rotorglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #43
shadoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorglow View Post
Actually, you can choose that behavior right in the remote control setup screen. 30-sec scan is the new default, but you can go back to simple advance if you want.
Yaaaaaaaay.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #44
rotorglow

I've spent a couple of fairly intense days with a Roamio as an upgrade from a S3 HD.

I also miss the channel up/down scrolling between shows, and really hope that comes back. There are also a couple of screens where channel up/down won't scroll to the top or bottom of the screen.

The sound cutout other people have mentioned is irritating.

And I found myself stuck in Tivo central with a recorded show playing, and couldn't figure out how to get back with out hitting Live TV and then restarting the recorded show. So I'm really glad to know about the zoom button shortcut that someone else mentioned. (What a messy, non-obvious situation that it.)

I guess the row of stuff at the top of Tivo central is kind of silly, and doesn't really look great, but that's minor.

So I guess the only annoyance I haven't seen mentioned is the program banner that appears every time you return to live TV. You can only dismiss it with left-arrow or clear, or wait for it to clear on its own. It can't be expanded with right-arrow. And *that* means that you can't quickly switch tuners when you exit Tivo Central. You have to let it time out, or hit an extra key.

I'll leave the new remote's size button layout for others to debate, but I love The tactile feel of the buttons. It's a huge improvement over my (worn out?) S3 remote, and RF works perfectly.

Pretty good overall.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #45
shadoh

One very minor thing about the remote that is having major, major repercussions with how I use it is -- the "5" button doesn't have a bump on it! I memorized my Glo remote forwards and backwards and can use it efficiently by just picking it up out of the corner of my eye, finding the "5," and I'm good. The new Roamio remote doesn't have that! So if I pick it up without looking, yes, I can find the pause/play/etc buttons, but I always have to look now if I want to press any buttons (I very frequently use the TiVo/number combos, i.e. TiVo-1 for Season Passes, TiVo-2 for To Do list, etc).
Old 02-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #46
rotorglow

Something else I forgot that bugs me: you can't cancel a recording from the tuner selection screen; seems like you should be able to stop a recording from that list without switching to the recording tuner first. I understand why a simple press on Clear can't do that. But maybe a long-press?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #47
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
One very minor thing about the remote that is having major, major repercussions with how I use it is -- the "5" button doesn't have a bump on it! I memorized my Glo remote forwards and backwards and can use it efficiently by just picking it up out of the corner of my eye, finding the "5," and I'm good. The new Roamio remote doesn't have that! So if I pick it up without looking, yes, I can find the pause/play/etc buttons, but I always have to look now if I want to press any buttons (I very frequently use the TiVo/number combos, i.e. TiVo-1 for Season Passes, TiVo-2 for To Do list, etc).
Hmmm, my Glo remote doesnt have a bump on the 5! Wierd!

Yes, Im sitting here staring at a button lol
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #48
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
What would you expect with a 3rd grade UI?
Then what are the cable company UIs, Kindergarten?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #49
L David Matheny

Quote:
I don't know if I'd consider it ads, but the top banner with suggested shows is pretty annoying. "In My Shows"... yes, I know, thanks, I don't need you to remind me. Also, I do occasionally use Amazon Video, but not very often, so while I don't want to hide it from my Video Providers, I also don't care to see suggestions on the banner for Amazon titles.
This can be customized somewhat at Settings / Displays / Customize Discovery Bar.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #50
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Just ignore him, he doesn't own any Tivos and hates the company because they enforced their patents. Typical troll.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #51
shadoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Hmmm, my Glo remote doesnt have a bump on the 5! Wierd!

Yes, Im sitting here staring at a button lol
LOL, nice.

As best I can tell from squinting at Google Images pictures (lol), the Glo Premium doesn't have the bump, either. Does your remote have the ABCD buttons, or the 1/2 switch on it? If it has the 1/2 switch, it is a Glo. If it has the ABCD buttons, it is the Glo Premium. (Mine is a plain Glo, no premium).
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #52
shadoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Unfortunately, it required 4 AAA batteries, ran through them like crazy, and the lifespan of various buttons was very short (many had dead buttons right out of the box).

It had soft rubber buttons, not hard plastic, and was my favorite remote of all ever made. It's too bad the glued-down bubble-contact membrane was often misaligned. All these flaws, but the 1-2 switch and having the letter/color buttons was really awesome when you had a TiVo HD and Premiere in the same room...
I actually like/prefer the AAA batteries. I did hear a lot of complaints about that, and it looks like (along with not liking 30-second skip) I'm in the minority. I have a bunch of AAA rechargeable batteries, and I haven't found it going through them like crazy. A set typically lasts me a few months. Switch out for a freshly charged set, and I'm good for another few months. Hasn't been an issue for me.

I agree on the feel of the buttons, along with the bump on the 5 missing (see above). It boggles my mind why they'd remove that.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #53
laria
Librocubicularist

I guess I never noticed the bump/no-bump on the numbers... I never use the number pad.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #54
shadoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
This can be customized somewhat at Settings / Displays / Customize Discovery Bar.
Brilliant! Thanks. I just disabled everything, but it's still populating things up there from My Shows, etc. I'm guessing it will take some time before it refreshes what it is going to display (likely all ads now since I disabled everything).
Old 02-08-2014, 03:31 AM   #55
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I actually like/prefer the AAA batteries. I did hear a lot of complaints about that, and it looks like (along with not liking 30-second skip) I'm in the minority. I have a bunch of AAA rechargeable batteries, and I haven't found it going through them like crazy. A set typically lasts me a few months. Switch out for a freshly charged set, and I'm good for another few months. Hasn't been an issue for me.

I agree on the feel of the buttons, along with the bump on the 5 missing (see above). It boggles my mind why they'd remove that.
Yep, I learned rechargeable batteries actually had a place in a remote control due to that remote. However, the downside to rechargeable batteries is they are 1.2V versus 1.5V. That can cause many electronic devices to claim a low-battery state, stop working reliably faster, and/or make you shorten the life of the rechargeable batteries due to more frequent recharge cycles (they only have so many).

I too miss the bump (nub) that was on every TiVo remote I had before the Roamio's new form-factor remote. It made it possible to turn off the backlighting on the Glo-Premium remotes for me. Once I felt that bump, I knew exactly where every button was.

Now the bump is gone, and I have to learn the new layout without one.

I wonder if people made complaints about the missing bump/nub making it harder for the disabled to use TiVo may yield the best, and quickest, return of the feature (and perhaps free replacement remotes for those claiming they need it)....
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #56
chrispitude

Everyone misses ChanUp/ChanDown to move through programs from the program details page. How can we campaign to get this back?

I also miss the old recording history page.

Another annoyance related to responsiveness is that sometimes a menu pauses to load and insert an ad. Menus should be responsive to keypresses immediately when they appear.

This, and some other observations, posted in this thread:

What irritations have you noticed in the Roamio's UI?
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #57
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No...nursery school...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #58
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
This, and some other observations, posted in this thread:

What irritations have you noticed in the Roamio's UI?
You realize that you are posting this very same thread, that you initiated?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #59
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

LOL, OP wants to create an infinite thread loop.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #60
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

There's a slight difference in the UI between the Premiere XL4 and the Roamio. I think I prefer the text look of the XL4. But the RoPro is definitely snappier at moving through the UI.

WHAT THE F*CK IS UP WITH MOVING THE DAMNED GUIDE BUTTON?! Who thought THAT was good idea?

And, has been pointed out, why doesn't channel +/- scroll through recorded episodes in a group?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote