TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
marklyn

Could a small usb hub work on a mini for additional remote?

I have a mini that sits behind a wall and one slide remote where the usb dongle plugs into the mini. Works great.
I'd like to get an extra slide remote (wife) with another usb dongle so we both have our own remote.

Does it sound reasonable that a very small, unpowered usb hub (2-3 port) could be plugged into the mini and then both usb dongles plugged into the hub?
Think that would work for both slide remotes?
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Um, I think you can pair more than one RF remote to one receiver, no?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Um, I think you can pair more than one RF remote to one receiver, no?
I've asked that question before in the forum but never received a conclusive answer. That's why I'm leaning toward buying another slide pro with USB dongle, but was hoping someone already did this.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

yes you can pair multiple remotes. I have a Slide Pro and the Roamio original remote paired to a Roamio Pro and a Roamio basic.

I remember reading somehwere that up to ten RF remotes can be paired to one Roamio.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
yes you can pair multiple remotes. I have a Slide Pro and the Roamio original remote paired to a Roamio Pro and a Roamio basic.

I remember reading somehwere that up to ten RF remotes can be paired to one Roamio.
No, no, this is for a mini, not a Roamio.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 07-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
No, no, this is for a mini, not a Roamio.
OK. I have not tried pairing multiple RF remotes to my Minis. I only have one Slide Pro paired to each of my Minis.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
FitzAusTex

I don't have a mini, so shouldn't even speculate, but I do have the dongle attached to my Roamio and a Slide Pro and two other Roamio remotes paired to the dongle. Pairing seems to be interactive with the dongle rather than the Roamio, so I'm betting it would work same way on mini. Put remote in pair mode (tivo+back) , hold down button on dongle for 5 seconds and watch them blink into pairing.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
I don't have a mini, so shouldn't even speculate, but I do have the dongle attached to my Roamio and a Slide Pro and two other Roamio remotes paired to the dongle. Pairing seems to be interactive with the dongle rather than the Roamio, so I'm betting it would work same way on mini. Put remote in pair mode (tivo+back) , hold down button on dongle for 5 seconds and watch them blink into pairing.
Hmmm. I'm thinking on that. So you basically have 3 RF remotes tied to your Roamio. The Slide Pro (assuming) is tied to the dongle and the other two remotes are tied directly to the Roamio. Not sure if this is the same concept but I'm still trying to think it through. I think that works because the Roamio can accommodate multiple reports. If you told me you had two dongles and two slide remotes working on the Roamio, that'd give me more hope.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 07-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
bluraven

I have another roamio rf remote coming today and a mini I can test this on. Will try it and report back here tonight if someone else doesn't beat me to it
bluraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluraven View Post
I have another roamio rf remote coming today and a mini I can test this on. Will try it and report back here tonight if someone else doesn't beat me to it
So you'd have two RF remotes, both with dongles that you could plug into the mini with a small hub?
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 07-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
bluraven

No, I meant I will try paring two roamio RF's on a single dongle on a mini. If that works you shouldn't need the hub or multiple dongles.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
marklyn

OK, I see.
So your mini obviously has a remote with dongle, and you're getting the remote that is just RF, no dongle. You basically will see if they can be both paired.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 07-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
bluraven

Yep exactly. I had ordered an Rf remote and begged for the dongle for a mini in my bedroom. Already using an RF with no dongle on the main roamio, so now I will have two RFs and one dongle and should be able to test that and pair both to the mini with one dongle.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
trip1eX

Why do each of you need a remote?
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Me and my wife both have our own remotes. It improves TV watching because either of us can pause the TV to say something or IR if we miss something. Way back in the day we only had one remote and we always fought over who got to hold it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #16
marklyn

Quote:
Seriously?
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 07-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #17
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Hmmm. I'm thinking on that. So you basically have 3 RF remotes tied to your Roamio. The Slide Pro (assuming) is tied to the dongle and the other two remotes are tied directly to the Roamio. Not sure if this is the same concept but I'm still trying to think it through. I think that works because the Roamio can accommodate multiple reports. If you told me you had two dongles and two slide remotes working on the Roamio, that'd give me more hope.
no, that's not what I said. What I said is that I have three remotes paired to the dongle. I unpaired the two Roamio remotes from the Roamio, and paired them and the slide pro to the dongle simultaneously. I know they are paired to the dongle and not the Roamio because my Roamio has subpar internal RF reception, but perfect via the dongle. I have further evidence in that the green light on the dongle flashes with remote button presses for any remote paired to the dongle, but not when paired directly to the Roamio. Net, net is that I don't think you're going to need a usb hub. One quirk that I've noticed though is that I often have to reboot the Roamio after pairing with the dongle for the Roamio to recognize a new pairing to the dongle (I did this a bunch when testing the setup). This might be because the Roamio has internal rf, but who knows. What I absolutely know is that I have two Roamio and one slide pro paired to the Tivo dongle, and they work perfectly, as a matter of fact, all three "sing" when I push the remote finder button on the dongle. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #18
bluraven

OK, I just confirmed it works. YES you can have two (or more) RF remotes paired to one dongle on a mini. There's no need for multiple dongles.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #19
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
There's no need for multiple dongles.

That's what she said!
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #20
marklyn

Quote:
OK, I just confirmed it works. YES you can have two (or more) RF remotes paired to one dongle on a mini. There's no need for multiple dongles.
Excellent! Thanks for doing this.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #21
trip1eX

Quote:
Seriously?
Yep.

I mean is there a gameshow app on the Tivo so 2 remotes are a must so you both can buzz in?

What am I missing?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #22
bluraven

Mark, glad I could help. Ig, hahaha. Trip, until TiVo can autoskip comms it improves the odds someone will hit the FF and you wouldn't have to think about which one of u had the remote last. I got the RF for my mini just to reduce lag time and line of sight issues so I totally get the desire to have more than one remote. But that's just me.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #23
marklyn

Quote:
Yep.

I mean is there a gameshow app on the Tivo so 2 remotes are a must so you both can buzz in?

What am I missing?
I guess I don't know how to respond but I'll try.
1. Cost. Gone are the days of wired remotes or the early 80's with $100 wireless remotes that were too costly to buy more than one.
2. Convenience. I know where I always put my remote when I'm done. My partner sometimes walks off with it or temporarily misplaces it. I'll always have mine when I need it.
3. Proximity. King size bed involved. One remote will usually mean that one of us has to get out of bed walk around to the other side of the bed to find the other remote if the other person isn't in bed to retrieve it.
3. Just because.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #24
trip1eX

Quote:
I guess I don't know how to respond but I'll try.
1. Cost. Gone are the days of wired remotes or the early 80's with $100 wireless remotes that were too costly to buy more than one.
2. Convenience. I know where I always put my remote when I'm done. My partner sometimes walks off with it or temporarily misplaces it. I'll always have mine when I need it.
3. Proximity. King size bed involved. One remote will usually mean that one of us has to get out of bed walk around to the other side of the bed to find the other remote if the other person isn't in bed to retrieve it.
3. Just because.
Thanks. I was just curious as I never thought about getting 2 remotes for a device.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #25
FitzAusTex

I must be mega lazy, but I have one on the coffee table, one on the kitchen counter, and one in the bedroom (Roamio mirrored via hdmi splitter). The bedroom remote is pretty necessary, but surprising how often I'm in the kitchen (TV in den highly visible). Nice to be able to skip back, raise volume, etc without having to walk to coffee table.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #26
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
I must be mega lazy, but I have one on the coffee table, one on the kitchen counter, and one in the bedroom (Roamio mirrored via hdmi splitter). The bedroom remote is pretty necessary, but surprising how often I'm in the kitchen (TV in den highly visible). Nice to be able to skip back, raise volume, etc without having to walk to coffee table.
Yup. I'm with ya.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin