TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
lynn02

Series 2 trouble

I've had my Series 2 since 2005. Lately it seems to be having trouble changing channels. Sometimes it thinks it has changed the channel but still remains on the one it was on and I miss a show. Any ideas of what the problem is? Is it time to upgrade to a new Tivo? If it is time, can I have some suggestions of which models? Time Warner is my cable provider.
lynn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
cannonz

Is this using the Tivo tuner or the blasters and a cable box?
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn02 View Post
I've had my Series 2 since 2005. Lately it seems to be having trouble changing channels. Sometimes it thinks it has changed the channel but still remains on the one it was on and I miss a show. Any ideas of what the problem is? Is it time to upgrade to a new Tivo? If it is time, can I have some suggestions of which models? Time Warner is my cable provider.
Your signature indicates that you have a Samsung SIR-S4040R, which is a DirecTV receiver TiVo.

Is that the one you're talking about?

If so, I'm curious as to how you're using it with TW cable.

If not, the model number should be on the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in, and once we're sure about which model we're talking, we have a better chance of diagnosis.

Are you using any sort of cable box or other equipment supplied by Time-Warner?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
lynn02

I need to change the signature. I did have a Tivo with Direct. What I have now is a Series 2 stand alone DVR 5F07. I am using the set top box from Time Warner and using the IR blaster cable.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
cannonz

You could try redoing channel changing set up or repositioning blasters, the blasters could be going bad too.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

I have seen other posts of people having to make small cardboard boxes around their IR emitters, but I don't remember why they had to do that. I think it was interference from other IR sources. Maybe that is what you need to do? I have used Series 2 Tivos for years and never had trouble with the IR emitter cords, but I only use them for OTA converter boxes.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I need to change the signature. I did have a Tivo with Direct. What I have now is a Series 2 stand alone DVR 5F07. I am using the set top box from Time Warner and using the IR blaster cable.
DVR 5F07 doesn't sound like a Tivo to me and a search comes up with nothing.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
DVR 5F07 doesn't sound like a Tivo to me and a search comes up with nothing.
I suspect that 5F07 is the last four digits of the TiVo Service Number and that's how it got named when she set up the account at tivo.com

What we need is for him or her to look at the sticker on the back and find the model number that probably starts with TCD if it's a TiVo brand or AT&T TiVo.

If it's a Humax or Sony, or one of the DVD models, it'll probably be something else.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
lynn02

Tivo Service #540-0001-7097-5F07
Model # TCD540080
Old 12-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Tivo Service #540-0001-7097-5F07
Model # TCD540080
And are you plugging the cable straight into the RF input on that 540?

No cable box in between?

Time Warner still has analog cable channels on some of its systems, and the 540 has an analog tuner--in other places I think they've gone all-digital and a 540 would need some sort of cable box.

Of course in the places where they are still offering analog channels they keep reducing the number of them without lowering the subscription price.

And speaking of subscriptions, do you have a lifetime sub on that 540 or are you paying monthly?

The most likely cause of problems in general for that model, and the other Series 2 and Series 3 TiVos, is faulty capacitors in the power supply going bad. It can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

The power supply is repairable with about $10 worth of replacement parts.

The next most likely problem is the hard drive going bad.

That's replaceable as well, but it'll probably cost more than $10.

And it's not impossible to have both problems.

Do you have any experience with fixing mechanical or electrical things?

Ever installed anything inside a computer?

Old 12-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
lynn02

Component cables from the cable set top box to the Tivo and then output from Tivo to TV.

I have repaired a bad laser on my Xbox 360. From what you've posted it seems to be cheap but have to wonder if maybe I should upgrade. I don't have lifetime on the Series 2. I pay monthly.

I've read a little bit about replacing drives. I kind of got the impression that you have to have I guess some file to make the new drive compatible with the old unit.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Component cables from the cable set top box to the Tivo and then output from Tivo to TV.

I have repaired a bad laser on my Xbox 360. From what you've posted it seems to be cheap but have to wonder if maybe I should upgrade. I don't have lifetime on the Series 2. I pay monthly.

I've read a little bit about replacing drives. I kind of got the impression that you have to have I guess some file to make the new drive compatible with the old unit.
You may have component cables in the old hi-fi system "separate components connected by wires with RCA plugs on the ends" sense, but they've gone and changed the jargon since then. Tripped me up a few times at first as well.

I assume the cables from the cable box to the TiVo are white, red, and yellow, with the white and red being left and right audio and the yellow being what's now being called composite video (because it's a composite of the "what color is it at that instant of time" information and the "how bright is it at that instant of time" information).

Nowadays, when they say component video, they're talking about 3 cables just for the video signal, each one carrying one component of the signal.

They use red, green, and blue RCA plugs and jacks.

S2s, except maybe the ones with a DVD deck built in, or maybe the satellite ones, don't have component video jacks, just left and right audio, composite video, and S-video as a supposedly slightly superior alternative to the composite video, provided you have a source or target that also does S-video.

Now that we know for certain there's a cable box in the mix, when you say it stays on the channel it was on instead of changing to the one it was supposed to, what's really meant is that the cable box's tuner, not the TiVo's own tuner, didn't change channels.

This could be because

1. it hates you and/or you have gremlins, or

2. because the cable box is developing its own problems, or

3. because something interfered with the infra-red signal from the TiVo getting to the IR sensor on the cable box with enough strength to be properly detected, or

4. because the TiVo didn't send out the IR signal strongly enough.

The most likely explanation is #3.

Aim your cell phone camera or something like it at the blaster end of the cable plugged into the IR jack on the TiVo, change channels on the TiVo, and see if you see indications of a good IR signal.

However, go ahead and take a #10 Torx driver and open up the TiVo and take a good look at the power supply capacitors, just because S2s and S3s are so likely to be suffering from "capacitor plague" (there's a wikipedia page about it, as well as a lot of discussion in various threads here on TCF).

Don't forget TiVo rule #1, though.

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES!

One other thought--if you don't have the TiVo and the cable box on an Uninterruptable Power Supply, a momentary glitch or voltage sag in wall socket power, if it happened at the right time, might interfere with the IR signal being strong enough or the cable box detecting it properly.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
lynn02

What am I looking for with using the camera? When looking at the power supply for "capacitor plague" are you referring to corrosion or bulging? I do have the Tivo on a UPS. I learned my lesson many years ago on that one lol!

If it is the capacitor plague, is that fixable?
Old 12-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
What am I looking for with using the camera? When looking at the power supply for "capacitor plague" are you referring to corrosion or bulging? I do have the Tivo on a UPS. I learned my lesson many years ago on that one lol!

If it is the capacitor plague, is that fixable?
If you've got bad power supply caps, you unsolder the old ones and solder in new ones of the correct type, maybe $10 or so in parts.

If you happen to have a voltmeter, then backprobing the yellow and red wires of the hard drive power plug will let you see how close you are to +12V and +5V, just in case you do have a problem but it hasn't manifested itself in leaking or bulging yet. But if you do see a bulge, there's no doubt.

You'll need low ESR, rated for 105 degrees C, same uF, and either same voltage rating or next step higher if you can't get that for the caps that aren't the very biggest one with the sticker wrapped around it, but the ones a little smaller in size clustered around the heat sink(s)--you can also ignore the very small ones.

I'm going from memory here, but I'll try to open up my 540 in a day or three and make a list.

Your eyeball can't see infrared, but a digital camera usually can, and it shows up as a flash of visible light on the camera's screen.

It's a sort of go/no go test, although you can aim remote controls at it as well to get an idea of how strong the flash should be. The "blaster" end of the cable from the TiVo should show up about the same.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #15
lynn02

I don't see a flash using the camera on the screen of my phone.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
I don't see a flash using the camera on the screen of my phone.
From anything?

Not even the end of a remote control when someone pushes a button?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
lynn02

I finally got the right angle with the camera. The blasters flash. So I'm guessing its not a bad blaster cable.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
I finally got the right angle with the camera. The blasters flash. So I'm guessing its not a bad blaster cable.
When you use the TiVo remote to change channels, does it change the channel to which the TiVo is tuned, or the channel to which the cable box is tuned?

(I've never had the need or occasion to use a cable box, with or without a TiVo)

Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #19
lynn02

It appears to change the cable box channel. If I change the channel with the remote, there are no issues. The issue seems to be when the Tivo is set to record a program it sometimes doesn't change the channel it is set to record. I had the cable box sitting on top of the Tivo. I moved it yesterday to see if maybe them being so close was causing interference.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
timr_42

I never had good luck with the IR blaster on my S2. I've had much better luck with the serial cable.

I've tried a lot of different suggestions I have seen here on how to get the IR to work better, and I have even switched out cable boxes.

More than not, always switch to a wrong channel. 13 could be 1 or 3. 101 could be almost anything.

I'm sure its just me not figureing it out, but I just hate the IR blaster.
timr_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When you use the TiVo remote to change channels, does it change the channel to which the TiVo is tuned, or the channel to which the cable box is tuned?

(I've never had the need or occasion to use a cable box, with or without a TiVo)
Quote:
It appears to change the cable box channel. If I change the channel with the remote, there are no issues.
Tivo remotes do not work directly with cable boxes. They can only tell the Tivo to change the channel on the cable box.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Tivo remotes do not work directly with cable boxes. They can only tell the Tivo to change the channel on the cable box.
I will rephrase--

When you use the TiVo remote to change channels, does it cause the TiVo to change the channel to which the TiVo is tuned, or does it cause the TiVo to change the channel to which the cable box is tuned?