TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
mahermusic
Deadlines Amuse Me

Would this new Roamio setup work?

I currently have three legacy TiVos, all lifetime, and the oldest of them, a Sony Series 1, still on dialup! We've been using TiVo since late 2001.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing, along with my current setup:

Downstairs family room (has ethernet and coax), purchase a new Roamio plus.
Upstairs bedroom #1 (has ethernet and coax), purchase TiVo Mini.
Upstairs bedroom #2 (has coax), purchase TiVo Mini.

The downstairs and bedroom #1 would be just fine, I know. I am questioning bedroom #2. Would I need any additional equipment to get this TiVo Mini working properly? Since all three will be connected via coax, and this bedroom only has coax, no ethernet, would I be able to create a MOCA network like this? Is it something, like a setting where you set the TiVos to "look" for each other over coax? We have 4 coax inputs within the house (all connected via splitters in the basement), of which, we're only using the three for the three tvs we have.

TiVo Series 3 - TiVo TCD648250B - Activated 2/25/2007
mahermusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahermusic View Post
I currently have three legacy TiVos, all lifetime, and the oldest of them, a Sony Series 1, still on dialup! We've been using TiVo since late 2001.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing, along with my current setup:

Downstairs family room (has ethernet and coax), purchase a new Roamio plus.
Upstairs bedroom #1 (has ethernet and coax), purchase TiVo Mini.
Upstairs bedroom #2 (has coax), purchase TiVo Mini.

The downstairs and bedroom #1 would be just fine, I know. I am questioning bedroom #2. Would I need any additional equipment to get this TiVo Mini working properly? Since all three will be connected via coax, and this bedroom only has coax, no ethernet, would I be able to create a MOCA network like this? Is it something, like a setting where you set the TiVos to "look" for each other over coax? We have 4 coax inputs within the house (all connected via splitters in the basement), of which, we're only using the three for the three tvs we have.
Hi,
You should have no problems, just enable MoCA on the Roamio and use MoCA to the mini with only coax.
You don't mention your cable provider, anyone but Fios and you will need a POE / Whole Home DVR filter to go on the first splitter input and possibly another one for your cable modem if one is not already built in.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
mahermusic
Deadlines Amuse Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Hi,
You should have no problems, just enable MoCA on the Roamio and use MoCA to the mini with only coax.
You don't mention your cable provider, anyone but Fios and you will need a POE / Whole Home DVR filter to go on the first splitter input and possibly another one for your cable modem if one is not already built in.
Thanks for the quick reply- so please allow me to understand better before I take my wallet out and make the plunge-

I will NOT need to purchase either a single, or two-pack of those MoCA adapters that I see being sold. The Bedroom #2 Mini will be able to see the Roamio through the normal coax with just the MoCA "enabled" on both the Roamio and the #2 Mini, correct?

Also, I have Comcast, so I will need a filter where the main comes in off the street to the very first splitter, correct? Cable modem was purchased in '07, (doscis 2.0)
So I'm fairly certain a filter isn't built into the modem.
I see Minis are on sale at Best Buy (both the old and newer versions), and I was going to call into TiVo and see just what kind of deal they could offer a 14-ish year user on a new Roamio Plus...

Old 08-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

You would only need adapters if the Plus weren't able to make an ethernet connection. Since it can, it simplifies everything.

With the Roamio Plus connected by ethernet, select "Use this DVR to create a Moca network" in the network settings. Done.

Both Minis can then work with coax.

Yep, the POE filter should go on the input side of the main splitter.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
fcfc2

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply- so please allow me to understand better before I take my wallet out and make the plunge-

I will NOT need to purchase either a single, or two-pack of those MoCA adapters that I see being sold. The Bedroom #2 Mini will be able to see the Roamio through the normal coax with just the MoCA "enabled" on both the Roamio and the #2 Mini, correct?

Also, I have Comcast, so I will need a filter where the main comes in off the street to the very first splitter, correct? Cable modem was purchased in '07, (doscis 2.0)
So I'm fairly certain a filter isn't built into the modem.
I see Minis are on sale at Best Buy (both the old and newer versions), and I was going to call into TiVo and see just what kind of deal they could offer a 14-ish year user on a new Roamio Plus...
I would grab a second filter and plan on using it on the cable modem.
Here are some cheap one's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MoCA-PPC-F...item33a59b1da0
BTW when you are talking to Tivo about your new Roamio Plus, hit them up for a free Slide Pro Remote and don't forget to ask about the Loyality Program.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
mahermusic
Deadlines Amuse Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
You would only need adapters if the Plus weren't able to make an ethernet connection. Since it can, it simplifies everything.

With the Roamio Plus connected by ethernet, select "Use this DVR to create a Moca network" in the network settings. Done.

Both Minis can then work with coax.

Yep, the POE filter should go on the input side of the main splitter.
Great! I was hoping I could use the coax already built into the walls to act as a MoCA between the Roamio and the Mini. The Roamio would be connected via ethernet and coax already in the house. Same goes for one of the two Minis. It was just the 2nd Mini I was hoping to just add to the in-wall coax without adding any adapters to make work.

Thanks, everyone!

Old 08-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
mahermusic
Deadlines Amuse Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
I would grab a second filter and plan on using it on the cable modem.
Here are some cheap one's.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MoCA-PPC-F...item33a59b1da0
BTW when you are talking to Tivo about your new Roamio Plus, hit them up for a free Slide Pro Remote and don't forget to ask about the Loyality Program.
Thanks for the link, and I will schmooze for a slide remote! These filters...they won't slow down my internet speeds much, will they?

Old 08-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:
Thanks for the link, and I will schmooze for a slide remote! These filters...they won't slow down my internet speeds much, will they?
No they actually help it by reflecting and keeping the MoCA signal on your local coax network instead of leaking out into the neighborhood.

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote