XIBM

Best Netflix platform - TIVO, Apple, Blu Ray

What is the best platform for streaming Netflix? Tivo, Apple TV or Sony Blu-Ray
Old 03-31-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIBM View Post
What is the best platform for streaming Netflix? Tivo, Apple TV or Sony Blu-Ray
between tivo and atv, seems like atv has better quality streaming most of the time. sony not sure, haven't used before.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:11 AM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I prefer the Tivo since my TV is on the Tivo's input 99% of the time.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #4
csweeny
TIVO Junkie

I don't have atv but I use both a Tivo and a Sony Blu-Ray for streaming Netflix and Tivo wins hands down. In fact the Sony Blu-Ray has issues (documented on Sony forum's) were streaming is inteurrupted about 25% of the time I try and use it. I did get a SW upgrade a few weeks ago and it's gotten better.
csweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
--Scott--

Tivo for Netflix

I have used an Apple TV for many years as my primary interface for video content, including Netflix. I was always a huge fan of the ATV Netflix UI...until I purchased my Roamio Plus a month ago. This is my first Tivo and it has a much nicer UI for Netflix than the ATV. Like the other poster it's also more convenient to use since the Tivo is my primary input.
--Scott-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

You did not mention Roku but it is absolutely fantastic. It is very easy to navigate forward and backwards through a program. I use it for Netflix and Amazon streaming. Unlike TiVo if you have a Amazon Prime sub you can get the content to the Roku.
TiVoXL4 - 2TB (1TB external)
Cablevision Raritan Valley, NJ
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
poppagene
User

I don't have ATV, but prefer both the Sony netflix on the bdp-s370 and bdp-s580. Both have dlna capability and allow me to watch Amazon Prime Streaming Instant Videos. These days I mainly watch netflix and amazon directly from the smarthub on my samsung tv as it's more convenient.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Igor

Chromecast

Having used both TiVo and AppleTV, I have now moved to Chromecast. The latter seems to be the best in terms of quality and interface (full control from phone or tablet!).
Igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
sharkster

I've only used Tivo, Sony Blu-ray, and Roku3.

I would say that the Tivo Netflix is less than acceptable. I've done well on my Sony Blu-ray and totally love using Netflix through my Roku3 (especially with the earbuds that plug into the remote).

Through the Roku3, it's seamless. I had stopping and buffering problems watching Netflix through my Tivos. I just thought it was because I have DSL and not the much faster cable internet. Well, none of those problems with the Roku3 or with the Blu-ray player, so I had to conclude that it was the Tivo that was the problem.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
alleybj

I have Tivo and AppleTV, and although I prefer the Tivo interface, the AppleTV picture quality is much, much better-- you can see the pores in Robin Wright's face.
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I prefer the Tivo since my TV is on the Tivo's input 99% of the time.
I prefer using TiVo as well, but it can cause the TiVo to reboot occasionally so using it while there are scheduled recordings is not a good idea.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
bacevedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
You did not mention Roku but it is absolutely fantastic. It is very easy to navigate forward and backwards through a program. I use it for Netflix and Amazon streaming. Unlike TiVo if you have a Amazon Prime sub you can get the content to the Roku.
I agree with this. The Roku3 is the best streaming device I have ever used, hands down. We only fire up the TiVo to watch the occasional recorded or live program.

Most of the time, we use Plex on the Roku to watch what we would have recorded OTA on the TiVo.

Most of our viewing is done via Netflix or Amazon Instant Prime. The only reason I still have the TiVo is because they offered me $99 lifetime when I called to cancel it.
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
Bigg

Quote:
+1 Roku is great. I love the remote too!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #14
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
I don't have ATV, but prefer both the Sony netflix on the bdp-s370 and bdp-s580. Both have dlna capability and allow me to watch Amazon Prime Streaming Instant Videos. These days I mainly watch netflix and amazon directly from the smarthub on my samsung tv as it's more convenient.
I love my Sony BDP-S5100 bd player. It has a nice interface (much faster than my Premiere too) and streams very well with great pq. And I use the dlna capability to watch Tivo recordings. Auto downloads with Tivo Desktop and conversion with kmttg!
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #15
lujan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
+1 Roku is great. I love the remote too!
I agree with the Roku as it seems to be the fastest at navigation and it has a lot of applications that the others don't such as Amazon Instant Video and Vudu.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #16
LoREvanescence

Having netflix on my TiVo, Apple TV and Sony Blu-ray Payer I have tried all 3 sources.

I have to say my Apple TV is the best in both interface and streaming quality.

My TiVo Premiere, no mater would I do will not do the 1080p passthrough so super HD is out of the question. And it likes at least once during a movie go to a black screen then dump me out of of the movie. I have to go back in and resume playback.

My Blu-ray Player, I don't know, even though it's streaming the Super HD 1080p, on my 51" plasma screen you can tell the video is a streaming video. It's got that blocky look to it if you look at it up close where the colors in the blocks are slightly off form the block next to it. I don't get that on my Apple TV at all.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
sharkster

So, is anybody getting the new Amazon branded unit? ETA - just looked up name again. It's called Amazon Fire TV. On the product page there is a comparison chart.

I have two of the Roku3 units and am super happy with them but am looking forward to seeing the reviews come in on this new one.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
kherr

I vote for Roku3 also .....
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
tivoboy

+1 Roku. Chromecast is just too limited to make much sense at this point.

ATV is nice if you're in the the apple ecosystem with a lot of stuff, but honestly for movie streaming the best app/service is VUDU hands down. ATV just buffers too much on HD movies. Same with Amazon. I won't buy any streaming solution that doesn't offer VUDU rentals.
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #20
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
+1 Roku. Chromecast is just too limited to make much sense at this point.

ATV is nice if you're in the the apple ecosystem with a lot of stuff, but honestly for movie streaming the best app/service is VUDU hands down. ATV just buffers too much on HD movies. Same with Amazon. I won't buy any streaming solution that doesn't offer VUDU rentals.
My apple TV has never buffered on HD movies. They start the second I click play and play in their entirety without buffering. So I would have to say that it's most likely it's a internet connection issue for you.

Yeah, the Apple TV doesn't have VUDU rentals, but you can rent anything from the iTunes store, or rent it from the VUDU APP on your iPad and air play it to your tv.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #21
supasta

I prefer Xbox One or Chromecast for Netflix streaming. I never use the TiVo for Netflix as I have a perpetual sign-in issue - as in, it will not leave me signed-in.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #22
tivoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
My apple TV has never buffered on HD movies. They start the second I click play and play in their entirety without buffering. So I would have to say that it's most likely it's a internet connection issue for you.
Indeed it is most likely my 100MB internet connection, that doesn't buffer any of the other streaming services that affects the ATV.

I DO use the ATV for things like comcast xfinity streaming of protected content, that seems to work fine.
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #23
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I prefer using TiVo as well, but it can cause the TiVo to reboot occasionally so using it while there are scheduled recordings is not a good idea.
The 20.4.1 update release has stability improvements for Netflix.
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #24
abqdan

No doubt; the Roku. I have Tivo, Sony TV, WD TV live and Roku - the weakest of them is the Tivo, though the Sony TV comes a close second. WD TV Live and Roku are both excellent, but the current iteration of the Netflix service on Roku is best. (I used to use Wii, but now that's kind of an ancient device; and I won't pay Microsoft $8 a month just so I can stream content from Netflix when I'm already paying them for that, so I've never tried my Xbox)
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #25
LynnL999

Roku.

I have given up on the idea of One Device to Rule Them All. It's a nice idea, but never actually worked for me. For example, I never had a device before the Roku could stream both HBO Go and Amazon Prime, and the work arounds like PlayOn were, IMO, kludgy.

Now, my Tivo does live/DVR'd TV, my bluray plays discs, my Roku streams everything, and my WDTV Live is attached to a 1.5 tb hard drive and can play any format I throw at it. They all do their jobs just fine.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #26
eddieb187

The PS3 is one of the best for streaming Netflix.
I have a Roku 3 and it's pretty good as well.
But I like the PS3 is better.
Press "Display" button on the PS3 remote and you see if you're getting SuperHD or not.
When you FF with the Directional a Thumbnail Display shows where you are.
Just like the Roku 3 Audio and Subtitle button cycle the options.
TiVo Netflix is ok, but it's slow. Roku 3 is the fastest to load Netflix.
eddieb187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #27
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

The windows 8 app is good too.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #28
Cheezmo

I'll give my vote to the AppleTV. I have the new Amazon Fire TV and it rebuffered 20 minutes in and lowered quality while watching House of Cards. I switched to the AppleTV and it was perfect all the way through. i've always found the Tivo XL4 version to be slow and clunky.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
gweempose

This thread made me realize just how many different devices I have that can stream Netflix. These include Tivo's, Blu-ray players, Smart TV's, game consoles, and dedicated streaming boxes. Out of all of them, I like my Roku 3 the best by far.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #30
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
This thread made me realize just how many different devices I have that can stream Netflix. These include Tivo's, Blu-ray players, Smart TV's, game consoles, and dedicated streaming boxes. Out of all of them, I like my Roku 3 the best by far.
Me too, I just watched a movie with strong Australian accents and I needed subtitles. The AppleTV didn't have anywhere to show subtitles but the Roku 3 did. Not sure if the TiVo does since I hardly use it to stream Netflix.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote