TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

The Big Bang Theory [01/26/2012] - "The Beta Test Initiation"

Leonard: So, I've got a gunshot wound. That's pretty bad-ass.
Penny: No, you've got a Reebok with a gunshot wound and an ouchie on your pinky toe.

So Leonard is aware enough to call Penny's Dad to ask what she might like to do on a date but not aware enough to realize giving her a full page of "notes" might cause friction?

Leonard: It's color-coded. Red means "fix right away" Yellow is "eh, whenever you get a chance." And, green is "I could probably learn to live with it."

I loved Raj and Siri.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
RandomTask

I'm really LOL'ing at L&P Beta test....

Raj and Siri at the end was a scream!
RandomTask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
LifeIsABeach

Loved the Siri plotline. Leonard/Penny was pretty good. Didn't like the Shamy flag parts. I have a Siri-like Android app (Speaktoit Assistant) which allows you to change the name. I asked her what her name was and she said someting (forget what it was). I then asked if I could change her name and she asked what I wanted to call her. Does Siri allow that as well or does Apple want everyone to know the name "Siri".
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
NJChris
Moogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
I then asked if I could change her name and she asked what I wanted to call her. Does Siri allow that as well or does Apple want everyone to know the name "Siri".
She's just Siri, but you don't address the phone using the name (or don't need to).

I liked Raj's dream.. hahaha
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCat View Post
So Leonard is aware enough to call Penny's Dad to ask what she might like to do on a date but not aware enough to realize giving her a full page of "notes" might cause friction?
Yeah, that's my pet peeve about socially-inept characters on TV in general...usually (Bones is the classic case) they are exactly as socially inept or not as the scene they're shooting at the moment demands.

Another of my pet peeves is a lot of smart characters on TV...who seem as though the writers have never even met a smart person, let alone been one. As much as I love to rag on BBT lately, I will give it credit...it may go for cheap humor and stereotypes a lot of the time, but this is clearly a show that knows what smart people are like.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
Loved the Siri plotline. Leonard/Penny was pretty good. Didn't like the Shamy flag parts.
Same here. The whole flag thing fell totally flat, for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, that's my pet peeve about socially-inept characters on TV in general...usually (Bones is the classic case) they are exactly as socially inept or not as the scene they're shooting at the moment demands.
I know people like this. They can learn how to act in social situations on a case by case basis, but they do not seem to be able to generalize that behavior for other similar situations that are not exactly the same. My Asperger's kid is a lot like that. Once he learns what "normal" behavior is for a situation, he can do it. But throw in just a little curveball, and he is at a loss again.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Same here. The whole flag thing fell totally flat, for me....
Yeah, but the final scene with Sheldon in shorts was a hoot....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

One of the best episodes of BBT. Laughed hard at most of it. Raj not being able to talk to the "real" Siri was gold.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Dammit my phone won't call me Sexy.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I totally loved the Flag story line. One of the best, for me.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Sadara
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I know people like this. They can learn how to act in social situations on a case by case basis, but they do not seem to be able to generalize that behavior for other similar situations that are not exactly the same. My Asperger's kid is a lot like that. Once he learns what "normal" behavior is for a situation, he can do it. But throw in just a little curveball, and he is at a loss again.
This is my son, who has autism, and for me Leonard is very believable because of it. He learns normal behavior for a very specific situation, but he cannot relate that behavior to another situation that is different, but yet similar. He's unable to see the similarities of it.

Plus Leonard is way screwed up because of his psycho mother!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Dammit my WIFE won't call me Sexy.
FYP!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

/finger
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
milo99

the flag part of the episode was completely random to me. Just out of nowhere and i didn't see the humor in it really.

The Raj stuff was a bit annoying, up until the end scene- even in his daydream he can't talk to a woman. love that!

The only thing that can make it somewhat "believable" for me that Leonard would give that list to Penny, is that he is a very literal person and when they "agreed" on the beta test, he thought it meant, literally, he could do that and she was fine with it. I've had to learn the hard way that just because a woman agrees to something, that doesn't mean she agrees to what YOU think she's agreeing to, even if you *explicitly stated* what you were agreeing to. sigh.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
sharkster

I agree that the (Leonard/Penny) list thing was a little out there. Loved how it ended with her list, though! However, I do agree with Milo as to how Leonard would interpret it so I guess it's not quite as 'out there' as I initially thought.

Loved the whole Raj/Siri storyline and the end was perfect.

I really like all the characters, but I thought the whole Sheldon/AFF thing was kind of lacking. I enjoyed it, though, just didn't love it.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yes, but Rob, people are complex. Few people are socially inept all the time, even the people who have organic reasons to be unaware of what other people are feeling.

I usually put my foot in it, but every now and again, I have flashes of brilliance that make me think afterwards "Oh, whew, I said the right thing."

So maybe Leonard calling Penny's dad to find out what she liked to do as a kid was one of those inspired moments, because he was actively trying to think about what might please her -- but the rest of the time, he's self-centered and clueless, the way a lot of us are.

(On the other hand, I would agree with you about the inconsistency of the writing on Bones, or at least, in the early episodes I watched before I bailed out on the show entirely.)
Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
Drewster
Shooting blanks

I'd like Penny's dad to make another appearance. I really enjoyed his episode one or two seasons back.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #18
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
the flag part of the episode was completely random to me. Just out of nowhere and i didn't see the humor in it really.
It's complete randomness and trying to watch Sheldon and AFF impart their knowledge on the podcast universe is what is funny about it.

My nitpick about the show was the range scene. Leonard would have to be a magician to shoot himself in the Reebok. Penny picked up the gun, racked the slide and then inserted the magazine with no other manipulation of the gun. Short of some divine intervention there should have been nothing in the chamber.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Wow Siri is hot!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I haven't seen the show yet but just watched an episode when Leonard and Penny were first dating and he wanted to watch football with her and football friends.,he watched the games the week before and had Sheldon teaxh him stuff. he learned itbut when at they party...he still sounded like geek.or at least like was out of his element.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I read the ensuing debate and I think you guys are overanalyzing this.
It's simply the fact that Leonard is a man that he's not aware of this.

Many a sitcom episode plot hinges on the fact that men often are unaware that their actions will irritate their girlfriend/wife.

If it had just been a list outside of the parameters of a "beta test" given by Tim Allen, Jim Belushi, or Kevin James, would it have been that different?

BTW, loved the Beta Test and the Siri plotline.
The flags video podcast was a little too out there even for Sheldon vut "Take 47" was funny.
(Sheldon, have you ever heard of editing?)

Although it was interesting that Sheldon thought that Amy's mascot idea was brilliant as it's very rare that he thinks that anyone else's ideas are worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Dammit my phone won't call me Sexy.
Mine used to call me "Cutie" until I realized that was saved on the Contact card that I would send to other people from time to time.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
I'd like Penny's dad to make another appearance. I really enjoyed his episode one or two seasons back.
He was so excited about Penny dating Leonard and so disappointed when they broke up. I'm sure Leonard's phone call delighted him.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
Vendikarr

Quote:
He was so excited about Penny dating Leonard and so disappointed when they broke up. I'm sure Leonard's phone call delighted him.
I just had a delightfully strange idea. They should have Penny's dad and Leonard's mother visit at the same time, and the two hit it off. That would drive both Leonard and Penny crazy.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
Todd
Stig Twins are Here!

Best episode in awhile. Loved it!!

"Money is fungible, no?" - Turtleboy
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
Best episode in awhile. Loved it!!
This.

Penny and Leonard was soooooo geeky. Beta test! Loved it.

Raj and Siri was great and I absolutely loved the dream at the end. Also highly geeky.

Folks be raggin on Shamy's podcast but other than us not seeing Sheldon being a fan of flags, it was spot on. Sheldon always thinks people are interested in what he is interested in and it would be natural for him to share it in this way. And typical Sheldon that he didn't edit but had to start st the beginning every time.

Laughed from beginning to end.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
Fish Man
Phish Food

Excellent episode. I loved all three plot threads (beta test, flag podcast, and Siri).

Now that Raj has personified Siri to the point that he's vividly imagined a woman to go with the voice, I wonder if he'll no longer be able to speak to that disembodied voice on the phone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Wow Siri is hot!!!
So this is what Siri looks like... Who knew?

Edited to add: Hotter than Rachael Dratch! (Who gets that reference?)

Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #28
mattack

What do pretzels have to do with <whichever country they did at the end which seemed unrelated to pretzels>???
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #29
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
What do pretzels have to do with <whichever country they did at the end which seemed unrelated to pretzels>???
Not a country, they were doing the German state of Bavaria. Pretzels (particularly soft or lye pretzels) have a very strong connection with the region.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #30
Azlen

That episode showed product placement done right. The Raj and Siri storyline fit right with the character and it didn't seem forced...well strongly forced like that Subway commercial in the last Hawaii 5-0.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote