TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
shanna1230

The Incredible Dr. Pol

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...Feg-MgodPi8AMg

This show is terrific! It reminds me of the book All Creatures Great And Small. It is a reality show about a vet and his family in rural Michigan. Dr. Pol treats small animals in his clinic, and big animals like horses and cows out in the field. Anyone else enjoy the program like me?
shanna1230 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

My wife had this on the other day, I think they were running a marathon. I watched a bit of it. He's quite a character, his wife even more!

It's real-life no-holds-barred country vet life. It's gruesome, it's sad at times, but it's very real.

If you think every puppy should be saved, there is no way you can handle this show. Major parts deal with how farmers make life & death decisions based on money, not how cute that calf is.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

LOVE this show. The best parts are watching people cringe when he castrates horses and cows, meanwhile Dr. Pol handles it like there's nothing to it. "Take off the balls and the brains come back."

Only thing I'd change, much less with the son. Every clip with Charles is way too scripted.
lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
shanna1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
LOVE this show. The best parts are watching people cringe when he castrates horses and cows, meanwhile Dr. Pol handles it like there's nothing to it. "Take off the balls and the brains come back."

Only thing I'd change, much less with the son. Every clip with Charles is way too scripted.
I know what you mean about the scenes with Charles being scripted. I find him to be really enjoyable to watch though. The episode where they dressed like the guys from Back To The Future was fun!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

What's funny is that Charles summer job is actually cutting and editing this show together! It was his idea to do the show about his parents.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Is this more of a true reality show or scripted garbage like Duck Dynasty and the like? The idea of following a vet around is interesting to me but not if it is scripted.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Is this more of a true reality show or scripted garbage like Duck Dynasty and the like? The idea of following a vet around is interesting to me but not if it is scripted.
No, the vet calls are not scripted. But then there's "family stuff" with Charles that is clearly scripted. It's the vet calls that I find entertaining.
lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
No, the vet calls are not scripted. But then there's "family stuff" with Charles that is clearly scripted. It's the vet calls that I find entertaining.
Thanks! I was on the fence about grabbing some of these but will do so now.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
shanna1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
What's funny is that Charles summer job is actually cutting and editing this show together! It was his idea to do the show about his parents.
I wondered how he could take so much time off from work, and what he did for a living? How do you know he helps with the editing?