TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
newbster

reality check on upgrading my series 3

Gents,

I have a Model TCD648250B series 3 Tivo I picked up from Costco. It has life time service. The Tivo is currently in our bedroom and we have a Verizon DVR in the living room. I'm thinking of ditching the Verizon box with it's monthly fee as I like the Tivo better. I'm figuring on having two, possibly three tv's connected. Ideally, having use of DLNA but using Vuze and manually transferring more or less works too.

Options? Should I get a Roamio (I assume plus)? Pluses and minuses of keeping the series 3 or selling it and buying new stuff? I've been doing some reading but I'm still a bit unclear what I might be missing either way.
newbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
jtrain

Wink Similar situation

Have a Series 3 (OLED)/lifetime in the bedroom for OTA only.

Main tv - Premiere (two tuner) / cablecard
Playroom tv - Premiere (two tuner) / cablecard + HD outlet fee

both premiers are month to month on MSD.

Minimally i would like to replace my Main tv Premier with a Roamio Plus.

But, do i keep the Series 3 to maintain my MSD? or sell it and put lifetime on the Roamio Plus?

The goal is to eliminate cablecards/monthly costs. I'd like to put a mini in the bedroom and in the playroom, both on MOCA, ultimately. Yet, i still like the flexibility of having the option of OTA.

Maybe i'm answering my own question. Roamio basic + new 3TB drive on the Main tv and a mini at the other locations.

What i'd really like is a lifetime transfer from my OLED to a new Roamio, maybe when pigs fly

anyway, any input/suggestion is welcomed. I feel tied to my lifetime S3 since it's the basis for my current MSD. that's the holdup, really (to sell or keep).
jtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

If you intend to go with a roamio plus and drop the premieres the series the will be the only ota tuners you have. TWC my calls provider dotted not carry all the ota channels and there is good classic programming on some of those channels. As you'd aware you won't be able to stream from it though you could use it as an ota server. Lifetime the roamio and a couple of mini's getting the msd on the new units.
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
dtivouser

TC CLUB MEMBER
If you are accustomed to getting the recordings you ask it for, I'd stay with the S3 and skip the Roamio for now. I have missed so many recordings since "upgrading"...
dtivouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Get a Romaio Plus or Pro and then get Minis for the extra rooms. That way you only need one CableCARD for all 6 tuners. If you go with lifetime on all the TiVos the initial outlay is going to be a lot, but you'll never have to pay a monthly fee (other then for the CableCARD) so the payback is typically around 2-3 years. (less if you pay outlet fees)

As for dtivouser's comment.... While some people do have issues a lot of us don't. Those who have perfectly working Roamio units just tend to be less vocal about it. Mine has been working fine. I've never missed a single recording.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
newbster

Thanks guys...

Is there any reason to keep the series 3 with lifetime over replacing it with a mini? I guess I don't fully understand the benefits/drawbacks of going one way over the other yet.

The other consideration is my son is younger and there are some shows that I want him to watch and others not. Is there a way to limit his options either at any access point of in his own room which will have a device?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
lachacg
Go Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbster View Post
Thanks guys...

The other consideration is my son is younger and there are some shows that I want him to watch and others not. Is there a way to limit his options either at any access point of in his own room which will have a device?
Speaking as a parent whose kids are probably too old for it now, Kidzone on the S3 was awesome. We could sleep in on Saturday mornings and the kids would have access to only their shows.

Roamio's don't do Kidzone. It really was one of the best parental control features out there. It's a shame its gone.
lachacg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Lrscpa

Quote:
Thanks guys...

Is there any reason to keep the series 3 with lifetime over replacing it with a mini? I guess I don't fully understand the benefits/drawbacks of going one way over the other yet.

The primary benefit of keeping a Series 3 over replacing with a Roamio/Mini is that if there are any problems along the chain (Roamio/network/Mini) that second TV (on the Mini) won't function.

Also, there is still a secondary market for a Series 3 with Lifetime. I sold mine for what I think was a very fair price.

Roamio Pro (Stock) w/Lifetime <Stewie>
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime <Brian>
TiVo Premiere Elite (Stock) w/Lifetime-Sold
TiVo HD w/1TB WD10000CSRTL w/Lifetime-Sold
No More Tuning Adapters!
MoCA
Lrscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks guys...

Mini's stream, S3 units can only transfer and slowly at that.

Watching a show on a Mini is like watching it on the main TV. You have full access to the show immediately with full FF/RW support. You can also manage the main TiVo from the Mini, so you can setup new recordings/SPs, manage your To Do List, rearrange SPs, etc... The Mini is basically a reflection of the main TiVo.

With a S3 it's it's own box. The only way to watch recordings from the main TiVo is to transfer them, which is slow. You can start watching immediately but you typically have to wait at least 15 minutes for enough of the show to buffer before you can skip all the commercials. It also has to be managed independently. There is no way to delete recordings from the other TiVo from the S3, or vice versa. There is also no way to manage recordings, SPs, To Do, etc... remotely. You have to do it via the TV it's connected to.

As long as 6 tuners is enough for you a Roamio + Minis is a much more user friendly setup.

I don't have kids so I know nothing about the parental controls on TiVos.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
ltxi

Quote:
Thanks guys...

I had two HDS3's and a PXL. Originally intended to replace only one of the S3s with a Roamio. Eventually replaced both much because the of interactive capability between the S3 and the Roamio. The S4 works well them and I kept that.

With no personal experience with the Mini I can only assume....but I would believe the newer interactive interface would be a significant plus over keeping your S3.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Mini's stream, S3 units can only transfer and slowly at that.
Well, you can use the "prototype" or whatever you want to call it streaming via e.g. StreamBaby from the movies, servers, whatever weird menu choice most people don't go to often.

Yeah, you have to then rebuffer after you get around an hour in, but that's not a HUUUGE deal. It was useful at times in the past when I was _really_ full on space, but still wanted to watch something from my computer.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's for streaming from a PC. I was talking about TiVo to TiVo.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
newbster

well... I have a Roamio Plus in the mail. I'll start by setting that up and seeing how things go. Thanks for the advice.