TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
abensky

No familiar beeps for FF/REW on roamio?

I recently upgraded to a Roamio Plus from an old Series 2. I also have a Premier in another room. The Roamio has the sound effects volume set to medium and I easily hear it when I press certain buttons like select when in certain modes (I'd have to go take notes to see where it beeps and where it doesn't). When I press the FF and REW buttons, and then the Play button when in FF or REW mode, there are no beeps. I've been using TiVO since Series-1, and am now on my 5th unit, and they all provide the familiar badoop-badoop-badoop when pressing the FF button (once, twice, thrice). Now the Roamio doesn't do this and I can't find any setting to make it do it again!

Is this intentional, or is my unit defective? I haven't seen any other mentions of this sound effect being removed, so it seems maybe my unit is defective, but before I spend hours on the phone with tivo support I wanted to see if this is intentional behavior for the Roamio. Or maybe I'm missing the setting?
abensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
peter888chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abensky View Post
I recently upgraded to a Roamio Plus from an old Series 2. I also have a Premier in another room. The Roamio has the sound effects volume set to medium and I easily hear it when I press certain buttons like select when in certain modes (I'd have to go take notes to see where it beeps and where it doesn't). When I press the FF and REW buttons, and then the Play button when in FF or REW mode, there are no beeps. I've been using TiVO since Series-1, and am now on my 5th unit, and they all provide the familiar badoop-badoop-badoop when pressing the FF button (once, twice, thrice). Now the Roamio doesn't do this and I can't find any setting to make it do it again!

Is this intentional, or is my unit defective? I haven't seen any other mentions of this sound effect being removed, so it seems maybe my unit is defective, but before I spend hours on the phone with tivo support I wanted to see if this is intentional behavior for the Roamio. Or maybe I'm missing the setting?
Do you have audio output set to Dolby? If so, this will happen when Dolby output is happening. If you change the output to PCM only, you'll hear the beeps no matter what.
peter888chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
abensky

that was it! Said so right on the Dolby Audio screen, too d'oh!

thanks!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I turn the beeps off. Intentionally.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
kucharsk

I find it strange that the S3 TiVO did beeps via Dolby but the Roamio cannot.

I wonder if it's a hardware limitation or a software choice…
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
abensky

I agree. it's odd that any audio setting would disable the beeps. In fact even in Dolby where the FF/REW beeps do not exist, some of the other beeps do, so it's clearly not a hardware limitation. I'm sure it was some sort of cost/performance/quality/feature tradeoff, but it's hard to believe it would be that hard.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
CharlesH

I don't know all the specifics, but as I understand it, there was an issue with the TiVo having a Dolby decoder, but not an encoder. So it could decode the Dolby stream and present it on the output as PCM, but it couldn't decode the Dolby signal, add the beeps, and then re-encode the combined audio back into Dolby.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
I don't know all the specifics, but as I understand it, there was an issue with the TiVo having a Dolby decoder, but not an encoder. So it could decode the Dolby stream and present it on the output as PCM, but it couldn't decode the Dolby signal, add the beeps, and then re-encode the combined audio back into Dolby.
This was the case with TiVo thirteen years ago. Any channel on DirecTV I watched that had Dolby Digital, the TiVo sounds would not work. This has always been the case with digital channels with DD.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #9
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I turn the beeps off. Intentionally.

This This This. I HATE them...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

I like the TiVo sounds. But I only hear them when going into the old menus. WHich I still wish they would convert. I would like to be able to do anything in the menus and still have a program playing in the upper right corner.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote