TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
thewolfe

Data usage with streaming from Roamio to ipad

I just purchased a new Roamio and have set up my iPad and iPhone to stream my reordered programs to them. Does anyone know how much data will be used for an hour of streaming?
thewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Is this for out-of-home streaming or inside your own network at home? If you're in your own home, it won't count against your data usage for your internet provider.

I think the average show on best mode is around 2 GB.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
JWhites

I'm not sure if you would be connecting via a cellular provider or using a wireless network. If you are on a cellular provider you currently won't be able to stream programs regardless of location, but you would be able to download them but that would count against your data plan. How much data used is variable based on the compression method used by the cable provider and/or channel itself. I've seen an hour show take 830MB to 3GB.
If you are on a wireless network at home then nothing would be counted towards a data cap by your internet provider. If you are on a wireless network outside of your home then I still think nothing would be counted towards a data cap by your internet provider since, generally a data cap focuses on downloads coming into the home and not uploads going out of the home. Comcast for example was doing this but has since suspended it for the time being.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
thewolfe

Thanks for the info!
thewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote